Louis. - no ban - but penalty increased

James

Administrator
No, it's game not match. It means no further action but it will go on his record so if he gets a game misconduct for the same offense in the future it will be treated more severely

Finny

No. It just means he will have 25 pims added to his total instead of 12.

It might also mean if he is given a game for checking to the head later in the season he could be classed as a repeat offender.

Rob Batch

Well, I'm pleased about that. I know he was reacting to the cowardly attack on Bordy but cross-checking to the head wasn't particularly smart. A heavy legal hit would have sent the same message. Hope it doesn't come back to haunt him later in the season.

Russky

as per usual no consistency from the ELITE DOPs, Both incidents 2+10 for check to head, Braehead player gets away scot free where as Devils player gets his penalty upgraded. I leave you to work out why,but its really not rocket science. Come on DOPs either upgrade both or don't upgrade either, but not the solution you have come up with as that does nobody any good and only makes the Elitie league look ridiculous and open to accusasations of bias.

Last edited:

James

Administrator
as per usual no consistency from the ELITE DOPs, Both incidents 2+10 for check to head, Braehead player gets away scot free where as Devils player gets his penalty upgraded. I leave you to work out why,but its really not rocket science. Either upgrade both or don't upgrade either, but not the solution you have come up with as that nobody any good and only makes the Elitie league ridiculous and open to accusasations of bias.
No, I don't think that's fair. Check to the head has a range of penalties depending on severity which can be called for it. It's perfectly legitimate that one was called correctly on the night but one warranted more. What would be farcical was if they made one 4 games and added other random tariffs with no good explanation as has been done in the past.

as per usual no consistency from the ELITE DOPs, Both incidents 2+10 for check to head, Braehead player gets away scot free where as Devils player gets his penalty upgraded. I leave you to work out why,but its really not rocket science. Come on DOPs either upgrade both or don't upgrade either, but not the solution you have come up with as that does nobody any good and only makes the Elitie league look ridiculous and open to accusasations of bias.
I get what you're saying... But Louis did cross check a player to the head, then (after the whistle) cross checked another play to the head and cross checked another player! I don't know what the Clan player did

dave

The Penalty will just go on record and nothing adding to next game etc. And Russky I am sorry but it is a 5+G call. As James says there is a range of penaltues for the offence and I am glad they did this as last year the habbit of DOPS was to change from 2/10 to a match and bans.... This year seems sense has come and they are using a major penalty they have as an option that comes without a ban. It is the right call. And after seeing the Clan one that is a 2/10. Also the Clan player does not get away Scott free as the peanlty is on his record and if he gets another check to the head he will be again as mentioned a repeat offender.. Do agree with I wish they did a video for each.

Have Hope#35

So who'd like to post a clip of the other incident so we can compare?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Here is a link to the hit from Beca: https://twitter.com/TamJamieson/status/780722355664457728?lang=en-gb
For me it's a very different hit from Louis' so you have to look at the context @Russky, there can't be a blanket situation just because it's the same penalty call. I think DOPS got this right to be honest, Beca's required no further action as the opposition player clearly takes a dive (even though there was minor contact) and Louis drove the player into the boards making contact with the head, which for me makes it a worse checking to the head incident than Beca's! I am pleased with the call from DOPS as I wouldn't have been surprised if he'd got a Match Penalty for it?

Here is the hit from Louis for comparison(7mins 15secs):

Last edited:

Devil_Abroad

Thread starter #19
Here is a link to the hit from Beca: https://twitter.com/TamJamieson/status/780722355664457728?lang=en-gb
For me it's a very different hit from Louis' so you have to look at the context @Russky, there can't be a blanket situation just because it's the same penalty call. I think DOPS got this right to be honest, Beca's required no further action as the opposition player clearly takes a dive (even though there was minor contact) and Louis drove the player into the boards making contact with the head, which for me makes it a worse checking to the head incident than Beca's! I am pleased with the call from DOPS as I wouldn't have been surprised if he'd got a Match Penalty for it?

Here is the hit from Louis for comparison(7mins 15secs):
Thank you.

Yes, totally different. Though he simulates an arm up towards the head no contact is made as the opponent decides to do a theatrical fall - hope he received 2 for diving [emoji15]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Koop11

I thought he could be looking at a one game ban if I’m honest. Great result for us that there is no suspension.

Looking at the incident from another perspective, I love Louis’ reaction straight of the back of a cheap play from them. Ok, Louis was a little heavy handed and took a long penalty which could have resulted in a small suspension but the bigger picture here is Louis has done more good than harm. He has sent out a message immediately to the opposition that we will not stand for that kind of play and certainly not in our home barn. Our skilled guys will love that. This is exactly what this club has needed following last season - some nastiness. We won’t look for it but we certainly won’t stand for it.