Mark Richardson’s Testimonial game

DevilDom

Thread starter #1
If ever a player deserved a big crowd for his testimonial game it’s Mark Richardson. 11 seasons with us with many of the early years (pre King, Kelman and Co.) very dark times for the club. He could easily have walked to bigger clubs and probably earned more money but stayed loyal to the Devils. The fact he put his testimonial season off last year for the Matchka is a measure of the man. A truly great GB player of the last 10 years and so important to the Devils, really hope he gets a big turnout for the game. Time for Devils fans to show their respect to a huge cog in the big red machine!

ASHIPP

Can't wait for this game. All the players past and present, the return of two great former Captains (Macca and Marshy), all to honour a very special long term member of the Cardiff Devils....Mark Richardson

Richie is a class act on and off the ice. This will be a great night to acknowledge that.

Rempel16

Richie has been an absolute warrior for the Devils.

He's the most underrated British player in the league for my money. Bowns, O'Connor, Dowd et al get all the plaudits, but Richie is right up there and I was so pleased that Bowns called it when receiving his British player of the year award at the playoff finals two seasons ago.

How often does he make a mistake? They are so few and far between that when it happens it's allowed and always reminds me that the guy is actually human.

His PIMs are also consistently excellent.

It's crazy to think that when he came onto the scene, scoring that hat trick in the England v Scotland game, that he was a centre. He soon became more of a two-way forward for us (having originally signed for the Bison), but his attacking prowess going forward would remain with him after his move to defence.

My top Richie moments:

- The coast to coast goal against the Steelers
- The pure joy on his face lifting the Challenge Cup in 2006, following a tragic couple of weeks for him. The moment that Adams (captain at the time) called Richie to receive the trophy first is still one of my favourite all-time memories. (Massive respect for G on that one).

With his hockey smarts and his attention to maintaining fitness, there's no reason why he can't be a Devil for another 10 years either.

rocketbob

Watching Richie and Tyson Marsh raising the Challenge Cup banner in the BBT was pretty special. Just watching the video again still puts a lump in my throat.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

ASHIPP

I wasn't at the Challenge Cup final in Sheffield in the first season under the new Ownership. But, watching the transmission of the game, to see the joy on Richie's face holding the Cup for the first time was priceless. He had been on so many 'nearly' Devils' teams in previous finals. This was special.

James

Administrator
I wasn't at the Challenge Cup final in Sheffield in the first season under the new Ownership. But, watching the transmission of the game, to see the joy on Richie's face holding the Cup for the first time was priceless. He had been on so many 'nearly' Devils' teams in previous finals. This was special.
Second time, he won it with us in 05-06 too :)

ASHIPP

Second time, he won it with us in 05-06 too :)

Yes, that's true but I wasn't refering to that Challenge Cup win.....my post refers to finally winning the Challenge Cup again after years of being on the losing side in finals since 2005/6 (usually against Panthers)

Koop11

I've lost count of how many times I've tried to book tickets online, only for it to get to 'confirm payment' and it won't go through. Hope others are having the same problem.

Koop11

Didn't work on my phone or tablet last night. Just tried again on my work computer and the same problem. Keeps telling me 'Billing mobile number is required' when I have filled in all the fields over and over again. Lost the will with it now.