Another crazy idea from the eihl

kettdevil1

It's a difficult one because the EIHL has reached a crossroads for growth and do need to look for innovative solutions for growth. If you can make Thursday night an event (as they were in the Superleague) and make sure that they are promoted as such then they might just work. Of course I can see the downsides (not child friendly, it's a work night for many and a pain for away fans) but bar lesser European football, there really isn't a great deal of competition on a Thursday.

With the economy in a poor state, prices rising at a rate not seen in a generation and leisure spend being squeezed, the EIHL can't stand still.

In terms of a wishlist, personally I would still like to see a 'Magic Weekend' style start to the season (competitively priced), more transparency in governance, a radical overhaul of the Challenge Cup to ensure that it feels meaningful, greater links with other leagues (both UK and Europe based) and a far more individual social media presence (it feels far too generic at the moment)

So is Thursday hockey the answer..... probably not but at least the EIHL are actually trying something different.

moggy#9

Thread starter #3
I take your point about the league needing to evolve. I have my own thoughts on league structure, when other things I have going on at the moment allow, I will post them.

This deal seems to be for the benefit of premier sports, but I question how much the league actually benefits. As it's a subscription platform, I doubt that many additional fans are drawn to the sport. It's also been said time and time again how poor the camera work and direction are. I wonder if the league would be better off with some sort of cross league streaming solution.

BostonBart22

As far as i can remember thurdays was a normal midweek devils midweek night until it changed to wednesdays, personally thursdays would be better for me as its a night i dont work or hopefully any devils games on a thursday would be away anyway, the less home midweek games at home the better.

august04 2.0

I could understand trying something different if they were looking to increase exposure of the league on a platform that is watched by many (Sky Sports, BBC, even Freesports etc) - but they’re not really going to achieve this on Premier Sports are they? Many hockey fans are already subscribers but it must be a pretty small subscriber pool and I can’t see many casual observers buying a Premier Sports subscription just to watch EIHL on Thursday nights.

matbur

The number of people that watch EIHL games on Premier Sports, who are not already committed in some way to the league would be very small I imagine.

There is a ceiling as to how much growth and exposure the league can gain from being on Premier Sports, and they're probably already at that point.

Diablo3

I found this on it. Apparently EE have bought the COM7 frequency to improve 5G coverage. Either the channels will be given a new slot or they will disappear.

Here's a full of channels that use COM7 mulitplex.

FreeSports • Quest Red + • Now 70s • More4 +1 • PBS America +1 • That's TV • Forces TV • BBC Four HD • BBC News HD • QVC HD • QVC Beauty HD • Quest HD • CBeebies HD (daytime)