Are the Devils Cardiffs least appreciated team?

Kevlar68

Thread starter #1
We are Cardiffs most successful team by far, we sell out most games, yet yesterday in South Wales echo no mention of us going in to playoff weekend BUT glamorgan cricket club (the most shit boring game) in division 2 get an 8th of a page size article about their game.

Why are we always overlooked?

moggy#9

We are Cardiffs most successful team by far, we sell out most games, yet yesterday in South Wales echo no mention of us going in to playoff weekend BUT glamorgan cricket club (the most shit boring game) in division 2 get an 8th of a page size article about their game.

I get there impression that it was only the personal interest of journalists that got us coverage in the past. As with most other institutions in South Wales that have been infiltrated by the taffia, the only thing they care about is chase the egg.

Mazzoak

We sell out but we are also a minority sport with few clubs around the U.K. who rarely sell out, even if they did your still not hitting big numbers. We can blame the media, it won’t matter as we are so few, fact is those reading the articles are uninterested in the game.
You‘ve also over looked the 21st century fact that most people use social media, we are well served, I’ve not read the South Wales Echo or any paper news printed media since 2004 and have no interest in ever doing so. I’m happy to stick with the modern world and leave the old boy network back in the past. With the bias towards loyalty now so obvious in Journalism, getting accurate facts with no opinion is virtually impossible, even for sports coverage.

Kevin roog

i live 20 miles away and approx 80 per cent in my work don’t know what the Cardiff devils are,most are glory hunting Liverpool fans who watch from armchair field

Kevlar68

Thread starter #6
I was in a coffee shop and picked it up to see if the Devils were in the sport's page. As for online and social media you get more bullshit journalism and articles on there than anywhere else.
I myself have not read a paper since 2001 when I left for Greece, don't watch TV news and I don't use social media.

Kevin roog

I sometimes listen to bbc five on the radio driving home late at night on weekends and they don’t even put on British ice hockey scores ever,all the major sports and others all the way down to the one legged cat table tennis championship,then they used to show the playoff final and pretend they support hockey all year round

Mazzoak

Wales On Line is horrendous, unless your one of those Brexit types who also want Welsh independence, love an M4 traffic jam and hate English tourists, then it’s a must.

Rempel16

Perhaps under appreciated by the media. But sometimes fan merchandise is a big sell and can often create a talking point. I often see people out and about with Devils hats, T-shirts etc, something I never used to see.

hip check

We are under- appreciated by the local sports media in this neck of the woods, as we all know we have egg chasing rammed down our throats for weeks on end when the autumn internationals and six nations is upon us, most people probably have no idea who 'Cardiff Devils' are, all I can say is they're missing some great sport and entertainment, but until they know about it and attend a game they will stay in ignorance of us.
My workmates and friends know I support Devils but these days sitting on one's arse and tuning in to rugby or football is about as near as a lot of people get to live sport, as long as they stay ignorant of our great sport/team then things are unlikely to change much and like has been stated we get a bit of a raw deal from the local press/ media, we can live in hope and I'm just glad I gave it a go in 1986.

Kevlar68

Thread starter #11
My Greek best friend on Zakynthos has a signed framed cardiff devils jersey on the wall of his bar (wasn't from me) and he shows their games.
Shames our own home town when no one is showing a final.

Mazzoak

My Greek best friend on Zakynthos has a signed framed cardiff devils jersey on the wall of his bar (wasn't from me) and he shows their games.
Shames our own home town when no one is showing a final.
Next yr if the EIHL are still pricing fans out you’ll need to arrange a fan trip to Greece to watch the CC and playoff finals, I’d pay that to watch in Greece than up North.

moggy#9

We sell out but we are also a minority sport with few clubs around the U.K. who rarely sell out, even if they did your still not hitting big numbers. We can blame the media, it won’t matter as we are so few, fact is those reading the articles are uninterested in the game.
You‘ve also over looked the 21st century fact that most people use social media, we are well served, I’ve not read the South Wales Echo or any paper news printed media since 2004 and have no interest in ever doing so. I’m happy to stick with the modern world and leave the old boy network back in the past. With the bias towards loyalty now so obvious in Journalism, getting accurate facts with no opinion is virtually impossible, even for sports coverage.
You make a fair point about local newspapers not having the place they once did. The echo has certainly declined in its quality, and is now basically a rag crammed with advertising and sub standard journalism. Wales online is also pretty crap, full off click bait articles and kissing dorkford's arse.

Ejercito Rojas

last time i bought the echo it was 35p it is now 1.05p for yesterdays new usually, worst thing they done was stop printing the old pink sports echo, they couldnt print enough as they were best sellers saturday nights.
As a kid I used to wait with great anticipation every Saturday evening for the pink ‘Football Echo' to be delivered at about 6pm to my local corner shop!

Hedd Wyn John

Basically

It's a minority sport, so the media is a lot more interested in football and rugby. & with the limited capacity at IAW once you take out ST holders, sponsors & regular hockey fans the amount of tickets available to ordinary folks who don't follow hockey is quite low. So that limits the word of mouth spread and the footprint hockey can build in the city.

jenks33

The Pink echo on Saturday nights were great. Terry Phillips always made sure there were one or two pages on the devils in there. I swear I used to pick one up in my local newsagent about 30 minutes after the football and rugby games had finished! Obviously the Match reports were 90% based on first halves of matches haha

Ejercito Rojas

The Pink echo on Saturday nights were great. Terry Phillips always made sure there were one or two pages on the devils in there. I swear I used to pick one up in my local newsagent about 30 minutes after the football and rugby games had finished! Obviously the Match reports were 90% based on first halves of matches haha
As I recall, quite a few of the FT results were down as 'late kickoffs' and could be found in the 'Stop Press' column!
The bulk of the copy was written during the week and a lot of the reports were based on HT action as Jenks says.
Local and schools leagues reports were of games from the previous weekend!