Back to 10 with Manchester Storm joining...

DevilDom

Good news for the league however crap news for Hull fans which probably means any lingering hope they could be saved has gone. Also, even more argument IMO for Belfast to be moved to Gardiner Conference and Manchester to be in Erhardt given the Geography.

DevilDom said:
Good news for the league however crap news for Hull fans which probably means any lingering hope they could be saved has gone. Also, even more argument IMO for Belfast to be moved to Gardiner Conference and Manchester to be in Erhardt given the Geography.
and just imagine the belly aching and moans from all quarters is Belfast were moved :DWD

DevilDom

WheresWally said:
DevilDom said:
and just imagine the belly aching and moans from all quarters is Belfast were moved :DWD
There will always be some but there are very good reasons for Belfast to be in the Gardiner. The only thing that stopped this from the onset of the Conference system was Belfast refusing. The Geography alone is compelling.

Manchester to Sheffield < 2 hours
Manchester to Nottingham 2-2.5 hours
Manchester to Coventry 2-2.5 hours
Manchester to Cardiff 3.5 hours

The closest Scottish team is at least 4 hours away.

Have Hope#35

Thread starter #5
WheresWally said:
DevilDom said:
From a purely Geographical point of view they should be moved... I can understand from a Competitive point of view why they wouldn't want to be! Lets hope the Scottish teams can keep improving and they maybe the Geographical balance can be improved?

ASHIPP

Storm's nearest rivals are certainly NOT in Scotland! Surely a case now for Belfast to transfer to the other conference to make it more competitive and balanced.

Manchester have just replaced Hull in the EIHL....Stingrays were an establishhed team that folded...amongst the reasons were loss of gate revenue (low away fan attendance and not playing their local rivals enough) and increased overheads. Hope due diligence will be done with the Storm to avoid anything similar.

Have Hope#35

Thread starter #8
ASHIPP said:
Storm's nearest rivals are certainly NOT in Scotland! Surely a case now for Belfast to transfer to the other conference to make it more competitive and balanced.

Manchester have just replaced Hull in the EIHL....Stingrays were an establishhed team that folded...amongst the reasons were loss of gate revenue (low away fan attendance and not playing their local rivals enough) and increased overheads. Hope due diligence will be done with the Storm to avoid anything similar.
Storm's nearest rivals are currently the Pheonix... There will be a war for fans! Things are starting to get a bit 'fruity' on Twitter between the two parties/teams.

I also feel for the Hull fans, sad to hear. You've also got to feel sorry for the people running the Manchester Phoenix. It sounds like they have been fighting tooth and nail to try and increase their clubs exposure with the possibility of moving to a new bigger permanent rink. They have left the Altringham rink (which correct me if im wrong is run by the current owner of the new Manchester Phoenix franchise) over ice time charges and may not have a place to play at the start of next season. With the new Storm franchise getting admitted immediately into the EIHL, the Phoenix' attempts to increase their own fanbase have just got a lot more difficult.
The one positive out of all this is that the EIHL still has 10 teams

Gisland

DevilDom said:
WheresWally said:
DevilDom said:
There will always be some but there are very good reasons for Belfast to be in the Gardiner. The only thing that stopped this from the onset of the Conference system was Belfast refusing. The Geography alone is compelling.

Manchester to Sheffield < 2 hours
Manchester to Nottingham 2-2.5 hours
Manchester to Coventry 2-2.5 hours
Manchester to Cardiff 3.5 hours

The closest Scottish team is at least 4 hours away.

Honest Question(s): You have stated twice Belfast refused ( and a result of this specific refusal was a contributing factor in Hulls demise ). How do you know Belfast refused? Did the other teams not have a vote / input into the conference(s) structure? I only ask because I am working on the presumption your statement is based on some fact. Do you think Hull was shafted by Belfast management? Is having Manchester in your conference a bigger crowd draw to Cardiff than either Belfast or Hull?

Bails77 said:
I also feel for the Hull fans, sad to hear. You've also got to feel sorry for the people running the Manchester Phoenix. It sounds like they have been fighting tooth and nail to try and increase their clubs exposure with the possibility of moving to a new bigger permanent rink. They have left the Altringham rink (which correct me if im wrong is run by the current owner of the new Manchester Phoenix franchise) over ice time charges and may not have a place to play at the start of next season. With the new Storm franchise getting admitted immediately into the EIHL, the Phoenix' attempts to increase their own fanbase have just got a lot more difficult.
The one positive out of all this is that the EIHL still has 10 teams
I think a lot of the issues have been caused by Neil Morris, who apparently "relocated" funds meant for the junior setup to the Phoenix, or something like that. Apparently then he burnt his bridges which has now led to this. Now no doubt their is blame on both sides, but from reading the articles over the past month seems a lot of the blame is with Neil Morris.

And from his behavior when he took the phoenix out of the EIHL, and heavily critising the league, and basically burning his bridges there, then i'm not surprised at what has happened with the rink in this case. He seems like a hard guy to deal with at times

But yeah I don't understand how two teams can survive. The Phoenix have no rink, so where does that leave them? And the Storm have no fan base.

I feel very sorry for Hull in all this, their fans must be gutted. Its a pity we couldnt have saved them.

I dont know how Manchester will work out, but seems like its setup for a disaster.

Chris

Administrator
shoes_off said:
Their rink looks just like the BBT !!!
That'd be because it's pretty much the same building, just they had some bricks to throw at it up in Altrincham.

The inside layout is different, and not half as good as the BBT, and I think they were built more or less at the same time.

Honest Question(s): You have stated twice Belfast refused ( and a result of this specific refusal was a contributing factor in Hulls demise ). How do you know Belfast refused? Did the other teams not have a vote / input into the conference(s) structure? I only ask because I am working on the presumption your statement is based on some fact. Do you think Hull was shafted by Belfast management? Is having Manchester in your conference a bigger crowd draw to Cardiff than either Belfast or Hull?
Because we didnt want to be in a conference with Fife, Dundee and the Caps. No offence to those teams, but as a club the Giants are much bigger and we want to be playing the bigger teams more often.

The conference system was to take advantage of local rivalries. Belfast have no rivarly with any of those teams above, but more so Nottingham and Sheffield.

If we where in the other conference then we probably would of won the league much more often since the conference system was created. And no doubt the same people moaning now, will only be moaning about the unfair advantage we have in the league. Sure we have lots of people moaning about our easy group stage in the challenge cup, so can you imagine if that was the league?

Chris

Administrator
Finny said:
I thought the inside layout was exactly the same as the BBT?
I guess staircase wise it might be, but the last (and only) time i've been up there they had a cafe and seating area under the main stand - where we have the changing rooms i'd guess.

There was also no standing allowed because of the narrow walkways at ground level, but I can't for the life of me remember what else they had at ground level, some shops similar to the Bison rink perhaps...

The name may be steeped in tradition but that was a previous incarnation of the Pheonix. This is a completely new team. The only tradition the current "Storm" owners have is running Basingstoke on a lousy budget and taking them down to the E.P.L. They were a team who had a decent following, so far this new team have no following at all. They may pick up a few from the Pheonix but they don't have spectacular crowds themselves. This has disaster written all over it and the losers will be the fans again.

On the Belfast subject, do any Belfast fans think that they should pay a percentage of their gate to Manchester to stay in their current conference after all, your gates are benefiting from your biggest rivalries at the expense of Hull/Manchesters travel budget ?

Gingers Husband said:
The name may be steeped in tradition but that was a previous incarnation of the Pheonix. This is a completely new team. The only tradition the current "Storm" owners have is running Basingstoke on a lousy budget and taking them down to the E.P.L. They were a team who had a decent following, so far this new team have no following at all. They may pick up a few from the Pheonix but they don't have spectacular crowds themselves. This has disaster written all over it and the losers will be the fans again.

On the Belfast subject, do any Belfast fans think that they should pay a percentage of their gate to Manchester to stay in their current conference after all, your gates are benefiting from your biggest rivalries at the expense of Hull/Manchesters travel budget ?
The demise of Hull and the travel expences of Manchester isnt anything to do with Belfast. So why should Belfast pay a % of their gate to Manchester?what about all the other teams in the league?
The distance from Braehead, Fife, Edinburgh and Dundee from Manchester in ALL cases is less than the distance to these places from Hull.
Surely travel will cost less than was payable for Hull.

The EIHL....they are the rule makers, and I am sure that Manchester were made fully aware that they would be placed in the same conference as Hull were in, before they made the commitment to become the 10th team in this seasons Elite League.

So to answer your question....No the Giants shouldnt pay a % to Manchester