BBC

august04

I honestly thought there was going to be a riot in WNIR that night. Just when it seemed to be calming down a little, Shannon Hope went over to see how Doug was in the penalty box, saw the state of his eye and went absolutely ballistic! Then all hell broke loose again!

That's the one!

Couple more OCD points from that game...

John Lawless' last ever league game in charge of the Devils. That was a tumultuous Summer when Cardiff's Mr. Hockey quit to go to the Storm. Devils were so big on BBC Wales in those days that the late Bob Humphries did a feature interview with Lawless on the day of his resignation as one of the main stories on the 6.30 Wales Today programme.

Along with the Bench Clearance - the game itself was a thriller. Nottingham should have won the league that year with a stacked team for that era - but blew up in the last 6 weeks. We had to beat them that night to claim 2nd place behind Sheffield. Trailing the whole game, 2 very late goals gave us the victory.

Probably in a minority of 1 here - but that kit is far and away my favourite the Devils have ever had. A redesign of that as a future retro jersey would be a dream come true!

E.D.S.

What made lambert kick off?
I remember this game like it was yesterday but can’t for the life of me remember why it started.
The other big fight against the Panties was when Hope got 13 games for battering Kellend. What a player Kellend was by the way. That was in Nottingham’s classic old barn. What a place.

kettdevil1

What made lambert kick off?
I remember this game like it was yesterday but can’t for the life of me remember why it started.
The other big fight against the Panties was when Hope got 13 games for battering Kellend. What a player Kellend was by the way. That was in Nottingham’s classic old barn. What a place.
I am not sure if it was every public knowledge what caused Lambert to go after Dougie, I always remember him as being a difficult player to gauge, at times unplayable, at other times, a liability.... this might be my memory failing me but wasn’t he at the centre of the Sunderland brawl (along with Bell?) a few years later? And I am sure I saw him thrown out of a Wembley game as well.

I am on surer ground with the Kelland incident, Shannon had been thrown out of the previous game for fighting Kelland and after a quiet game (at least between the two of them), it all kicked off at the handshakes. Shannon apparently said something to Kelland, who was then dismissive and after a few more verbals they started fighting. I think Shannon’s ban was extended as he was accused of fighting with his gloves on.... I was pretty sure at the time that he hadn’t been.... but I don’t think it was as many as thirteen games but I might be wrong!

Wonder what DOPS would have made of both this, and the bench clearance....

kettdevil1

Just as a PS on the video, the commentary is superb, it conveys things beautifully..... love the line "I would love to be able to tell you who it is, but all I see is hair" when Townsend and Butler are going at it.

Mooney#16

The rumour was after Chinny had given Lambert a bit of a slap where Lambert had fish hooked Chinny and then turtled Dougie was giving Lambert some verbals about it all and Lambert just lost it and decided to launch into Dougie. It was irritating how Lambert got away with it fairly unscathed although some years later Chinny did manage to spear Lambert in the face and nearly take his eye out. Good lad that Chinny.

The one that stuck in my mind was Dumas and Premak. Premak thought he'd got an easy pair of and then all of a sudden Dumas found his range and unloaded bombs on him. Premak couldn't turtle quick enough.

Crazy night but the noise was insane!

E.D.S.

I am not sure if it was every public knowledge what caused Lambert to go after Dougie, I always remember him as being a difficult player to gauge, at times unplayable, at other times, a liability.... this might be my memory failing me but wasn’t he at the centre of the Sunderland brawl (along with Bell?) a few years later? And I am sure I saw him thrown out of a Wembley game as well.

I am on surer ground with the Kelland incident, Shannon had been thrown out of the previous game for fighting Kelland and after a quiet game (at least between the two of them), it all kicked off at the handshakes. Shannon apparently said something to Kelland, who was then dismissive and after a few more verbals they started fighting. I think Shannon’s ban was extended as he was accused of fighting with his gloves on.... I was pretty sure at the time that he hadn’t been.... but I don’t think it was as many as thirteen games but I might be wrong!

Wonder what DOPS would have made of both this, and the bench clearance....
It was definitely a lengthy ban for Shannon. He made a real mess of Kellend. The good old pantomime days of UK hockey. Can’t beat them.

Wannabe2

At the handshakes Kelland said to Shannon, if you ever do so and so again I will rip your head off, to which Shannon responded with handing Kelland with his rump on a plate. My mate Robin bought Shannon’s shirt from that incident, and there was lots of red stuff on it.