Best Ever Lineup .....

kingmo19.1

Thread starter #1
Ok folks, this one has got me thinking! So we’ve had the best teams from the first decade, super league, EIHL early years and current era.

But who makes your All Star lineup out of that lot ????

Here’s a list to choose from:-

Netminders:
Jeff Smith
Derek Herlofsky
Stevie Lyle
Ben Bowns

Defence 1:
Shannon Hope
Mike Ware
Mark Richardson
Andrew Hotham

Defence2:
Stephen Cooper
Jason Stone
Tyson Marsh
Gleason Fournier

Forward1:
Steve Moria
Ivan Matulik
Max Birbraer
Joey Martin

Forward2:
Doug McEwen
Vezio Sacratini
Stuart McRae
Joey Haddad

Forward3:
Ian Cooper
Steve Thornton
Brad Voth
Jake Morissette.

After a lot of thought, here’s mine:-

N : Herlofsy
D1: Richardson to compensate for Fourniers offensive play.
D2: Fournier.
F1: Moria.
F2: Vez (sorry Wannabe)
F3: Thornton.

Ocko

NM - Herlofsky
D1 - Hotham
D2 - Richardson
F1 - Martin
F2 - Macrae
F3 - Voth

Hard decision to pick between them as the ability in the eras are so different, particularly the early ones so I’ve just picked based on who the best players are overall, rather than relative to their era or how much of a legend they are.

For example, some people might think it’s blasphemy to pick Macrae over a legend like MC but the reality was the standard back then wasn’t great; we had MC after he couldnt break into Major Junior in Canada whereas Macrae was a standout player in the QMJHL. I don’t think many players from the first era would be able to get near the EIHL teams we’ve had. Don’t get me wrong I loved it at the time but we are blessed to be watching very good players now.

Wannabe2

And in 20 yrs time this standard will be poorish, compared to then, people will be faster, bigger and better, Besty, Greavsy etc wouldn’t live with today’s football players and Salah, Kane, Aguero won’t live with the players 20 yrs from now, so the comparison is more about different eras and that’s life. We all have our views and they are all viable what suits A don’t suit B, and thankfully we all think differently, and long may it continue.

moggy#9

NM - Herlofsky
D1 - Hotham
D2 - Richardson
F1 - Martin
F2 - Macrae
F3 - Voth

Hard decision to pick between them as the ability in the eras are so different, particularly the early ones so I’ve just picked based on who the best players are overall, rather than relative to their era or how much of a legend they are.

For example, some people might think it’s blasphemy to pick Macrae over a legend like MC but the reality was the standard back then wasn’t great; we had MC after he couldnt break into Major Junior in Canada whereas Macrae was a standout player in the QMJHL. I don’t think many players from the first era would be able to get near the EIHL teams we’ve had. Don’t get me wrong I loved it at the time but we are blessed to be watching very good players now.
I think it's a bit unfair to compare players playing at different times like that. The number of teams at different levels change, meaning more opportunities. Also the desire for different skills sets change. We could debate for hours how done greats of the past (even in the NHL) would do in today's game, but those players could only play what was in front of them with the opportunities, equipment and other factors available to them.