Bob's Tour Equipment Sponsorship

Thread starter #1
Had a thought about sponsoring players equipment for the coming season. This money would go direct to the players for equipment AND NOT TO THE CLUB. At the end of the season we would then do a free raffle for all the equipment that we have sponsored between everyone that has contributed.

G has stated that this would be very helpful indeed as the money will go direct to the players equipment fund.

The total cost for a player is around £275 for everything. I was thinking of £10 per person which could be collected at the first few home games or on the players night on 26th August.

For those of you going on the Scottish Trip in January you can pay me on the trip. Even if you have not been on a Bob's Tours trip it is the chance to help the players with their equipment for the coming season.

Let me know via this thread or by a PM if you wish to contribute towards this fund but if you promise to then please keep to it.

I will put a list of the names that want to contribute on the Inferno so we will know exactly how much we have raised.

Paul Sullivan

Re: BOB'S TOURS EQUIPMENT SPONSORSHIP

I don't see it as competing if I am honest, though I know where you are coming from.

This looks like a way for some fans to contribute and Bob's Tours to get some recognition for the great job they do via a programme ad... Not everybody warmed to the Booster club idea (which I think is a great idea) so they may like this suggestion?

And anyway it's not really a Pepsi / Coke scenario is it? I mean, even if they were competing - competing to financially assist the same team could only be a good thing, surely?

It might add another dimension to a great trip too, if any prizes for the trip itself can be sorted out. Which I am sure they can ;)

wildthing74

The original plan was to be a player sponsor for the season but it was decide this was the best way to help the team as a whole.

steve

The main issue - and reason why we chose not to sponsor the team, is that there can be no control over how the money is spent. Bob cannot in all fairness claim that all money raised will be spent on equipment as the money goes to the club (who make no such guarantees, and with respect lack accountability).

Got to be honest, I'm a little disappointed that an alternative scheme has popped up that does precisely the thing we decided to avoid.

Out of interest is it the fact we want to hide the overall sum raised, the fact that it's not being run by CDSL (or someone more 'official' than us), the fact that we propose regular contributions, the economy, or anything else why people seem more reluctant that usual to contribute?

drainage

steve said:
The main issue - and reason why we chose not to sponsor the team, is that there can be no control over how the money is spent. Bob cannot in all fairness claim that all money raised will be spent on equipment as the money goes to the club (who make no such guarantees, and with respect lack accountability).

Got to be honest, I'm a little disappointed that an alternative scheme has popped up that does precisely the thing we decided to avoid.

Out of interest is it the fact we want to hide the overall sum raised, the fact that it's not being run by CDSL (or someone more 'official' than us), the fact that we propose regular contributions, the economy, or anything else why people seem more reluctant that usual to contribute?
I am reading this as a one off payment to sponsor a players kit in the name of "Bobs Tours" as opposed to a regular monthly payment to pay for some as yet unknown items...... have I read it too simplistically ??

There is a difference - it might be subtle but its there.

Both have merit and both aim to benefit the club we all support and have no issue with either.

As a loyal Bobs Tours traveller I would support Bob but equally have no issue with the Booster club either!!

Gazza272

Personally I cant see the need for 2 different fund raisings.

If Bob's idea is similar to the booster club I cant see why a 'bobs tours' pot cant just fund raise for that cause?

As someone who has no alegience to either party I look at the Bob's tours proposal and it looks a lot less thought through. Where as the booster club has independant treasurers and seems a lot more organised.

Why doesnt Bob Tours make a big donation to the booster club so there is one stream of money going through?

I get the whole helping the club thing, but I think a bit of unity to do that would help a lot. The Inferno reaches far more folks than one bus trip will and will be fund raising for the whole year rather than just the one trip. I'm not saying bobs tours shouldnt be doing something like this, but I think more thought and communication would be helpful

osh

Hindsight is a great thing eh? I feel it may have been a better idea for Bob the driver to have pm'd the Inferno guys with his idea, they could have worked together with their proposals. Both parties are well intended, however, these good intentions seem to have created a divided loyalty albeit for the same good cause.

steve

My earlier post wasn't intended at creating division, more a genuine request for feedback on how best to proceed - if people think such a scheme should be run by CDSL then I would actually consider encouraging the other mods to consider it - my personal feeling is that we have the means and people to do it, but I'm more than willing to listen to any suggestion to bring more money in.

Likewise it would be good to join forces with bob tours to raise money, but as I said before, that will be difficult because they propose doing exactly what we set out not to!

I don't agree with Clare that this is glory seeking on bobs part - the intent is genuine, would be nice to have a concerted effort though with everyone on the same hymnsheet.

Paul Sullivan

Sweet Lord there's some spite on this thread!

Perhaps Bob took advice and found out that:

Player sponsorship money goes into the club budget
Equipment sponsorship money, whilst through the club, goes to Gerad's budget

And decided which way to go?

Plus as is mentioned in the booster thread itself last year even the mighty Inferno (that's a joke!) could not raise the £1000 for the player sponsorship. With equipment sponsorship being around £250 there's a better chance of money going to G even if not everyone want in.

Sometimes it's not always about ego. It's about helping out. And there is as much/more anti CDSL tribal stuff on this thread than I have ever heard from a CDSL director about the inferno.

No wonder the THFers think we moan a lot. They have a lot to base the opinion on :oops:
And for the record I have spoken at length with one of the Mods and made my feelings about - and support of - the booster club clear so this is not me criticising the inferno option in any way. I despair of how judgemental our fanbase can be simply if they did not think of something or it sits outside their preferred channels sometimes.

Can't we all just get along? (sic) :cool:

Paul Sullivan

steve said:
My earlier post wasn't intended at creating division, more a genuine request for feedback on how best to proceed - if people think such a scheme should be run by CDSL then I would actually consider encouraging the other mods to consider it - my personal feeling is that we have the means and people to do it, but I'm more than willing to listen to any suggestion to bring more money in.

Likewise it would be good to join forces with bob tours to raise money, but as I said before, that will be difficult because they propose doing exactly what we set out not to!

I don't agree with Clare that this is glory seeking on bobs part - the intent is genuine, would be nice to have a concerted effort though with everyone on the same hymnsheet.
Steve I think there is actually enough room for everyone. CDSL and the Inferno have, for the most part I believe, very little crossover audience. Likewise Bob's tours and CDSL. I can see why people might think it's divisive but the Booster idea really is a much more consistent approach for the support of the team imho.

This just seems like a really nice one-off idea by Bob.

Rhythm if there is little overlap between CDSL, Bobs travel and Inferno then we need to tap in the the MNL audience as they are from somewhere or other.

Wannabe2

Bob the Driver said:
Clare said:
It's because Bob wants his name in the programme. If he donated to the Inferno Booster Club he wouldn't get the glory.
If I wanted my name in the programme I would do a puck sponsorship for £25 and it would be there all season. As usual on here someone suggests something positive to help the team and you get the negative doubters having a pop.

Sorry that I suggested it.
Dont be sorry mate theres always some one who is a ?????????, stick to your guns mate, pity theres not more people around like you and not the other?????.Its your club if you want to help then do it.

Cant see what the problem is. Whoever wants to make regular donations via The Inferno can do.

Whoever wants to make a one off payment via Bob Tours can do.

It's a free country and peole therefore have a choice if they wish to participate in one scheme, both of the schemes or none at all.

D

Deleted member 1337

Devil_Bluebird said:
Cant see what the problem is. Whoever wants to make regular donations via The Inferno can do.

Whoever wants to make a one off payment via Bob Tours can do.

It's a free country and peole therefore have a choice if they wish to participate in one scheme, both of the schemes or none at all.
devils_bluebird is 100% right

Paul Sullivan

Nott Simpson said:
Rhythm if there is little overlap between CDSL, Bobs travel and Inferno then we need to tap in the the MNL audience as they are from somewhere or other.
Would the mods not have taken that into account in the booster calculations? Personally I would categorise MNL as Inferno, but as a subcategory.

The numbers of users of MNL in no way reflects the regular users / posters on the inferno, and of course can be inflated by fans of opposing teams. Due to the extremely casual nature of the participation for the majority of MNL users (not to suggest they dont appreciate or take it seriously but it's not much of a commitment to just click a link, is it?) I think you would be hard pressed to persuade them into any kind of regular donation, but of course it's a decent number of hockey fans to target.

Bob ignore the usual ridiculous comments from someone who clearly doesnt know better, stick me down on the basis I'm an adult who earns my own money and can spend it how I like and where I see fit.

Pay you when I see you

Skippy

Lots deleted and more will be if we keep getting off topic posts and grudge posts.

On topic... helping the team... only please, thank you..

DevilDom

As my post seems to have been deleted for no good reason I can think of - to reiterate Bob - please put me down.

There's four of us on the January triple header. Put us down Bob. Seriously guys whats with all the nagativity? Someone has a different idea to you and that suddenly makes them wrong? I'll choose to help the team how I see fit and if you don't like the idea then I'm sure it will be appreciated if you didn't post...