Bordy ban

E.D.S.

The video shows clearly that the ref is right there and didn't call it all. No denying he connects with the head but the size difference is what makes it a head hit as opposed to anything malicious or reckless.

Mooney#16

Its like the Simon Kirkham campaign against hockey. How many times can you get the interpretation of one rule wrong in a bloody season. This isn't isolated to Devils and just this incident but who the hell keeps renewing Kirkham in this role. He is bad for the league. End of story.

august04

The video explanation clearly shows Smith not calling anything at the time. For me it's a good hit. Yes, there is contact with the head (without him targeting the head which is what this rule should be punishing) but how can you avoid that with a front on hit between two men of such different sizes? It's impossible.
You get the impression that Kelman is frustrated with DOPS and he can't be alone amongst the EIHL board surely?
It needs a complete overhaul, it's just not fit for purpose. At the start of the season, DOPS were handing out hardly any suspensions - now at the business end of the year, they're dishing them out like confetti, particularly where the Devils are concerned. At least they haven't added on additional games to this match penalty. We still have no explanation why they did that with Hotham's review. Kirkham was a terrible ref in his day too, how he ended up being chief ref and solely responsible for DOPS who knows, but I suspect the EIHL board are responsible for the latter though. One thing is for sure, we're not getting any favours from the league now and we'll have to win the title the hard way. I suppose that will make it all the more sweeter when we do.

Last edited:

BostonBart22

whats done is done , put it behind us, look what happened when bordy was thrown out weds,,the rest of the team stepped up big time and without hoth to. just carry on from weds into the skydome and come back with 2 points , then back to IAW to smash panthers butts and shove it up cory big time....

Gazza272

The video explanation clearly shows Smith not calling anything at the time. For me it's a good hit. Yes, there is contact with the head (without him targeting the head which is what this rule should be punishing) but how can you avoid that with a front on hit between two men of such different sizes? It's impossible.
You get the impression that Kelman is frustrated with DOPS and he can't be alone amongst the EIHL board surely?
It needs a complete overhaul, it's just not fit for purpose. At the start of the season, DOPS were handing out hardly any suspensions - now at the business end of the year, they're dishing them out like confetti, particularly where the Devils are concerned. At least they haven't added on additional games to this match penalty. We still have no explanation why they did that with Hotham's review. Kirkham was a terrible ref in his day too, how he ended up being chief ref and solely responsible for DOPS who knows, but I suspect the EIHL board are responsible for the latter though. One thing is for sure, we're not getting any favours from the league now and we'll have to win the title the hard way. I suppose that will make it all the more sweeter when we do.
I actually think the prinicipal point on contact is with the shoulder, and boxill's face hit's bordeleaus trailing leg as he goes down causing the facial injury.

voth26

Total crap, Smith didn't call it a lino did so surely that says something!, in that case when the likes of Mcgrattan, Rosehill, Klotz hit smaller players are they going to be called for check to the head and kicked out and banned. If Boxhill had been really injured and played no further part then fair enough, but he played in the rest of the game so he couldn't have been that badly injured!! Given that the DOPES, league and certain teams are definitely trying to screw us out of having a fair run at the league, then I feel this Devils team definitely needs to keep that big chip on their shoulders and the hatred burning in their veins to see us through to the end. We are the Cardiff Devils and you piss us off at your own peril

Devastated by this news, especially with other imports out for this clash as well. It is a bit farcical, but we can't change the DOPS decision so as James says we should just try to keep our chins up and play our own game. I still think we've got enough quality in and around our team to deal with this and come away with the points in Coventry tomorrow. Louis will probably have to step up again so lets just hope his mum is travelling to Coventry!

As a side note, and although it's hard to convince myself sometimes, I don't believe the league have it in for us. I think it's just a poorly ran system with a lot of inconsistencies. That being said, It does take the biscuit a bit when the EIHL chairman is also the owner of one of the teams championship contenders, that really is a joke!

BostonBart22

would it be a good idea if dops was run by a foreign body , maybe a panel from another another country i.e. france, slovakia or another lge, its not as if the panel would have to travel to this country to review incidents.

kettdevil1

would it be a good idea if dops was run by a foreign body , maybe a panel from another another country i.e. france, slovakia or another lge, its not as if the panel would have to travel to this country to review incidents.
That was the original plan but it seems to have defaulted to SK.....

I am with Gazza on this one, not convinced the hit is to the head, hence a Match seems harsh, but, it's happened so we just March on and take it out on the Blaze.

Jonesy83

Not that it bothers me, but a poster was recently chastised for swearing.
Is it allowed or isn't it?
Genuine question.

're; the ban, just knew it was coming! :(
Not meaning to offend anyone, apologies if that post did....maybe what I class as swearing is different to others.

osh

Well he's been banned for 1 game, we just have to accept it, like it or nor. I'm not going in to too much analysis on the hit - other than to say I fail to see how it can be judged a hit to the head when one guy is so much bigger than the other fella - but what I would like to see when DOPS give reasons for explaining their reasons for reaching any sort of decision is why they don't mention why the referee who is the closest official to the incident didn't immediately call a penalty !! It's seems as if it's OK to explain in detail the reason as to why a player has been banned, but no explanation as to why the referee didn't call a penalty when it happened !

Perhaps in the future the Elite League will make it compulsory for teams to only sign players who are no shorter than 5'9" and no taller than 6'0" in order to avoid any accidental hits to the head. I am not coming down hard on any ref in particular because we have got away with a few things - as every team does during the course of a season - but it's galling when the senior official is overruled by a lino who is further away from an incident with absolutely no better view.