Bownsy not going back to Graz

RossDaws

Thread starter #1
Bownsy will not be returning to Graz, according to their official website.

From Chasing The Puck's piece:

"Ben Bowns will not be returning to the Graz99ers in Austria, which has been announced by the club on their official website.

Interestingly, the article seems to acknowledge reasons why the season didn’t end well for the side, especially after such a strong start.

The article, which admittedly has been translated using Google Translate so isn’t word for word accurate states that Bowns, along with Joel Broda, Johan Porsberger and Travis Oleksuk are leaving the side, along with veteran Austrian defenseman and former club captain Oliver Setzinger."

Thoughts?

BostonBart22

Obvious choice now would be a return to uk and maybe end up in Nottingham who were after him before his last season with the devils, his injury most of the austrian season didnt help though, good luck to him...

RossDaws

Thread starter #4
I'm sure Todd will let Bownsy know there's always a place in Cardiff for him. Could well end up back here until another offer from Europe comes in - similar to the Steelers/Liam Kirk situation.

Gutted to see his first season abroad not go the way he planned. But I'd welcome him back with open arms.

Wannabe2

If Bownsy returns to UK I can’t see him playing anywhere except Cardiff, he has a house here, his Mam lives here, he goes to Calgary most off seasons, and mainly he wants to win trophies, so Cardiff it is then.

JC23

If Bownsy returns to UK I can’t see him playing anywhere except Cardiff, he has a house here, his Mam lives here, he goes to Calgary most off seasons, and mainly he wants to win trophies, so Cardiff it is then.
You sure Jayne & Dave Bowns live in Cardiff? :confused:

jenks33

Mixed emotions on this one. If Covid hadn’t happened I would say don’t go back. Bownsy had pretty much admitted that he needed a change and I would have liked us to sign a North American goalie.
When the EIHL does eventually start back though I think it’s highly likely that we’ll see a lot more brits in the league so Bownsy could be a big signing. The best brits are going to be much more important than pre Covid in my opinion so Bownsy is certainly worth having.

august04 2.0

I don’t mind Bowns coming back to Cardiff but only in tandem with an import goalie alongside him. I didn’t think he was at his best in his last season with us and Graz for whatever reason have decided not to retain him. I’m sure Skalde, with all his connections, can find us a top nettie within the budget we have. I felt that for the last year or two pre-pandemic, the netminding duties were too much for one man and I think Bowns playing pretty much every game was always going to catch up with him at some point. Interesting development though.....

Devils86

Ben will likely use his time in Nottingham to get his fitness and sharpness up for his time with GB where he'll try and use that shop window to get another European move. If not then a return to the Devils is definitely on the cards.

A fit, focused BB is a no brainer for me.

moggy#9

I don’t mind Bowns coming back to Cardiff but only in tandem with an import goalie alongside him. I didn’t think he was at his best in his last season with us and Graz for whatever reason have decided not to retain him. I’m sure Skalde, with all his connections, can find us a top nettie within the budget we have. I felt that for the last year or two pre-pandemic, the netminding duties were too much for one man and I think Bowns playing pretty much every game was always going to catch up with him at some point. Interesting development though.....
You pretty much took the words out of my mouth on this. The days of a single netty is passed, much like those of a player coach. I would welcome bownsy back with open arms, as long as he has help.

Kevlar68

Yes he's the No.1 GB nettie but does that mean he's the best we can get?
And let's not forget it was his decision to leave the Devils its not like he was let go.
Also Graz let him go if they hadn't would he have come back to these shores of his own accord?
Absolutely loved him playing for us, won us allot of games but his head wasn't with us in his last season and time to look for a new nettie who wants to be at the Devils.

moggy#9

Yes he's the No.1 GB nettie but does that mean he's the best we can get?
And let's not forget it was his decision to leave the Devils its not like he was let go.
Also Graz let him go if they hadn't would he have come back to these shores of his own accord?
Absolutely loved him playing for us, won us allot of games but his head wasn't with us in his last season and time to look for a new nettie who wants to be at the Devils.
I think that's a bit unfair. He's had a lot going on personally over the last couple of years, plus I think it's unrealistic to rely on a single goalie for an 80 game season. On a UK team he frees up an import slot, for Graz he is an import. A totally different situation. If he hasn't tried playing overseas it would have been a question that always hungry over him, like for Tony hand.