Bownsy not going back to Graz

Wannabe2

I would have Bownsy back in a heartbeat, people said his head wasn’t with us last season, yet we would have won the league, got to a cup final, and who knows how we would have done in the play offs. No brainer to me.

Kevlar68

Again its only my opinion, i'm not saying i'm right and others are wrong.
We don't know what netties could be out there available to us before we start welcoming Ben back.

Devils86

The larger than usual turnover that will inevitably happen when we come back (plenty of my favs won't be back I'm sure) would normally mean that I'd jump at taking Ben back - and I would - but I keep trying to remember that my faith is is Todd and the C4.

They've picked a coach who by all accounts increases our scouting pool incredibly. So if he can bring in someone he rates higher than Ben I won't worry too much. Having BB and an import to share would be great but wonder whether BB would be up for that.

ASHIPP

Bownsey is not committed long term to any team yet. If he decides to stay in the UK, he will want to bethe No, 1 goalie at said club, starting every game. Can't see Whistle being happy with that if the two of them are at the Panthers.

Most teams will be rebuilding in the new season, probably under amended guidelines. If Ben chooses to stay in UK, it depends which team (because he will draw several offers) he regards as the best challenge/landing spot for him. What would be wrong would be to return to the Devils, disappointed that an opportunity abroad was not offered, or another opportunity in the UK was not forthcoming,

To be at a Club, that player has to be motivated, focused, committed..... to that club without other disappointments and distractions.

Have a feeling Devils are going to be just fine whoever our starting goalie turns out to be.

kingmo19.1

Bownsey is not committed long term to any team yet. If he decides to stay in the UK, he will want to bethe No, 1 goalie at said club, starting every game. Can't see Whistle being happy with that if the two of them are at the Panthers.

Most teams will be rebuilding in the new season, probably under amended guidelines. If Ben chooses to stay in UK, it depends which team (because he will draw several offers) he regards as the best challenge/landing spot for him. What would be wrong would be to return to the Devils, disappointed that an opportunity abroad was not offered, or another opportunity in the UK was not forthcoming,

To be at a Club, that player has to be motivated, focused, committed..... to that club without other disappointments and distractions.

Have a feeling Devils are going to be just fine whoever our starting goalie turns out to be.
Whistle - jeez, how many meaningful minutes did he actually play last season! A very poor goalie compared to Bowns and hasn’t managed to cut the mustard at either Sheffield or Nottingham!! Lucky to still be in the league let alone challenging for a starting birth.

Wannabe2

Totally agree with ASHIPP, our new coach will be the man who will be more than capable of deciding who signs, and where they play. That’s the great thing about this club now, with all the leadership we have in every department, the future can only look positive, it’s going to be exciting with lots of new guys in the league, safety allowing us to play that is, fingers and toes crossed.Stay Safe All, had my 2nd jab today.

ASHIPP

Whistle - jeez, how many meaningful minutes did he actually play last season! A very poor goalie compared to Bowns and hasn’t managed to cut the mustard at either Sheffield or Nottingham!! Lucky to still be in the league let alone challenging for a starting birth.
Yes, he was the No 2 goalie at Panthers last season but at least he played some games. Our backup goalie didn't play any last season I don't recall. You would hope to be given the chance of some icetime during a season.

Matters little what fans think of a goalie's abilities. The Panthers must have thought Whistle could do the job required of him.

moggy#9

I think that bownsy expecting to start every game, this precluding signing any effective backup, would be the only real reason for saying "thanks but no thanks". With the length of our season and the need for him to be in top form for GB he needs to be rested and playing no more than 50-55 games.

Mazzoak

Totally agree, no parent should want or encourage their children to return to the fold, sitting on their butts, living off the good will of mum & dad. Time to move on Ben‘s earned it, whilst l said we’ve had the best of Ben, that doesn’t mean Ben’s peaked and is now declining. Professionals don’t sit on their butts for a cushy life, or at least they shouldn’t, new challenges generally refresh performances........certain Ben will excel at another club back in the U.K. for several years yet.

Ocko

If we don’t sign Bowns we have to find a British player of the same quality, albeit a skater rather than NM and drop an import.

It’s a simple choice of:

Bowns + import D/Forward

Or

Import NM + new Brit D/forward

Ben Davies is the only British player of any quality near the level of the import D/forward we would have to drop for an import NM that we could realistically sign. Bowns may not have been the best NM in the league last year, but he was still in the top few. We would be taking a gamble on a new NM, and downgrading an import forward or D for a British player of lesser quality (even Ben Davies is not as good as any import we had last year IMO). I just can’t see how we would be better off in any situation not signing Bowns. Proven quality in this league and allows the extra import.

Wannabe2

If we don’t sign Bowns we have to find a British player of the same quality, albeit a skater rather than NM and drop an import.

It’s a simple choice of:

Bowns + import D/Forward

Or

Import NM + new Brit D/forward

Ben Davies is the only British player of any quality near the level of the import D/forward we would have to drop for an import NM that we could realistically sign. Bowns may not have been the best NM in the league last year, but he was still in the top few. We would be taking a gamble on a new NM, and downgrading an import forward or D for a British player of lesser quality (even Ben Davies is not as good as any import we had last year IMO). I just can’t see how we would be better off in any situation not signing Bowns. Proven quality in this league and allows the extra import.
Exactly it’s a double edged sword with Bownsy, he is pretty essential to us. However we do seem to have a great fit with our new coach, early days yes but a number of teams have had very good success with a import nettie, so there for why not us, it’s obviously going to be what quality imports we sign, if we keep our present brits that’s huge. Myself I want to see Bownsy return, but a good import nettie along with other good signings could well reap rewards. Fortunately everything about our club at the moment to me is really positive, and I can’t wait to see us get started. Stay Safe All.

Mazzoak

It wouldn’t be beyond the realms of impossibilities that the league will, given the current situation, move the import rules. Clubs will need to recoup lost revenue, it would be suicidal limiting imports when not only are there few quality Brits available but also a growing popularity abroad.

moggy#9

It wouldn’t be beyond the realms of impossibilities that the league will, given the current situation, move the import rules. Clubs will need to recoup lost revenue, it would be suicidal limiting imports when not only are there few quality Brits available but also a growing popularity abroad.
I wonder to what extent this will be impacted by post brexit work visa rules. I can't remember seeing any information on that.

Hedd Wyn John

I'd have Bowns back in a heartbeat but we'd need a good back up nettie too. Last couple of seasons Bowns played a ridiculous amount of games and it's just too much for one netminder.