Braehead new coach is

For some reason, my work are blocking that link. Is he going to be playing as well - pretty decent signing if he is - although as skippy said, surpising they've picked someone with little / no coaching experience. Isn't he the top EIHL scorer since the league began?

James

Administrator
For those who can't access the Star (probably due to the liberal sprinkling of lady flesh on display)

GOAL machine Adam Calder is set to blast Coventry to another league title this week – and then quit the Blaze.
The Canadian star, 33, the all-time Elite League top-scorer, will take over as coach of next season’s newcomers Braehead Clan.

He’s landed the job ahead of Manchester Phoenix player-boss Tony Hand and ex-Blaze skipper Neal Martin.

Calder is a shock choice as he has no previous coaching experience but could be unveiled as early as this week.

The winger has scored nearly 300 goals in six seasons at the Skydome and helped them win seven major trophies.

Blaze are on the verge of clinching their fourth championship in six years.

They need just three points from their last three games to be certain of the title.

They are at home to lowly Edinburgh on Thursday, travel to Scotland on Saturday before taking on rivals Belfast on Sunday.

The Giants are still in with a shout of the title but will almost certainly have to beat struggling Newcastle and then take two points from the East Midlands.

Nottingham still have an outside chance of sneaking their first league title since the 1950s if the top two slip up in the run-in.

SHEFFIELD have tempted All-Star Steve Munn to return to the club next season. Munn, 31, quit the Steelers last summer after winning the Elite League championship. But he’s now agreed to come back after a season in Japan.

Boss Dave Matsos, whose team have struggled to defend their title, insists Munn’s absence has been one of the major factors in his side’s dismal campaign.

MILTON KEYNES have the title bubbly on ice – ready for a Saturday night celebration.

Lightning need a point to be certain of the English Premier League crown after stretching their lead to eight points with four games left.

Rempel16

I think he'll be a good choice if he's going to be player-coach. Guaranteed goals and i'm sure he'll be given a budget big enough to tempt his old mate Carlson to go with him.

Interesting that the article mentions Neal Martin as one of those just missing out. Could we be seeing him on these shores again next year? Lets hope it's not in a Blaze jersey.

Koop11

Great player but will he cut it as a coach? So many great players fail as coaches. Essentially much of his success will be determined by the amount of money given to his for players. Interesting times up north.

ASHIPP

This is a suprise! Calder is a fantastic player and the next logical step for him would be coaching. Brave to jump straight in as head coach though! Good luck to him. I'm really looking forward to seeing how the player roster shapes up.
Calder leaving the Blaze....they'll be looking for a quality scoring replacement there. But who?

Calder as coach, with word being Stewart as player/assistant coach and also Carlson in the mix of going over as well.

Braehead definatly making a push already it seems. Be a very interesting season!

Wannabe2

Thread starter #9
Braehead will also need a toughie to put bums on seats, hopefully Sgroi will come back, Mcdonkey also maybe, lets hope that kicks all the other clubs into signing a tough cookie, and then we will have happy days.
OOPS HAPPY HOCKEY DAYS I MEANT.

DevilDan said:
Calder as coach, with word being Stewart as player/assistant coach and also Carlson in the mix of going over as well.

Braehead definatly making a push already it seems. Be a very interesting season!
Loving this, stange how this has been released just before what is Coventry's three biggest games of the season :shock: :twisted:

With Calder being pushed out at the Blaze bit by bit anyway I dont think its much of a shock for him to leave, with him being dropped to the third line several times through out the season, mysteriously losing the "C" etc. So i dont think its a tactical move, more of just a bad timed release.