Cardiff arena

moggy#9

Thread starter #21
i was under the impression that IAW , could be expanded if needed. i think 5000 - 6000 is big enough, no larger
No, my understanding of the structure, as well as the location, is that there's no way to expand. I believe that a single pad with a bigger capacity was considered, but the second pad was considered to be essential given the demands for ice time.

moggy#9

Thread starter #22
A 15,000 seater is greatly reduced for hockey due to the ice pad, as has already been stated, the cost to Panthers and Steelers in ice time is I believe anywhere between 12-15k,per game, the cost of stewarding is high, then you are at the Arenas beck and call when you can play, then there’s office space and a merchandise shop to pay for. Where do all the other teams play, what about public skating. We have the best home we have ever had at the moment, is it faultless no, is there room for much extensions probably not, playing at both wouldn’t be a goer in my view, installing a ice pad for ex amount of games certainly wouldn’t be viable.
Just to be clear, I wasn't suggesting that iaw be dispensed with for anything or currently does, other than devils match nights, and then only if it could be made an economic option.

Hedd Wyn John

I think it's all about the marketing. Nottingham went from a 2800 capacity to what they have now with no problem, so I don't see why growing should be a problem for us.
If we had a bigger arena we could grow crowds but let's not forget Cardiff Blues typically has crowds in the 6000-odd area, & rugby has a much higher profile so I wouldn't expect us to pull in crowds like Nottingham.

moggy#9

Thread starter #28
If we had a bigger arena we could grow crowds but let's not forget Cardiff Blues typically has crowds in the 6000-odd area, & rugby has a much higher profile so I wouldn't expect us to pull in crowds like Nottingham.
I'm not sure that's a fair comparison. You'd never get fans traveling from pontypridd, Bridgend or Swansea to support Cardiff blues, but people do that every week to sort the devils.

Finny

It would be nice for one off games and the Playoffs but I can't see a 8000-10000 seat capacity arena (which it probably would be for hockey) being viable for the Devils week-in week-out.

If we were selling out every game as soon as tickets go on sale then perhaps it would need looking at, but for the moment I think we're best where we are now.

Having said that, based on how long it took them to build IAW I can't see this new arena being built that soon anyway.

moggy#9

Thread starter #31
It would be nice for one off games and the Playoffs but I can't see a 8000-10000 seat capacity arena (which it probably would be for hockey) being viable for the Devils week-in week-out.

If we were selling out every game as soon as tickets go on sale then perhaps it would need looking at, but for the moment I think we're best where we are now.

Having said that, based on how long it took them to build IAW I can't see this new arena being built that soon anyway.
They're saying 2024, but we'll see. Cardiff council doesn't always have a great track record of delivery.

moggy#9

Thread starter #32
So with that in mind we only just get 3000 from all those areas, Cardiff blues get more than the Devils just from cardiff.
Ah, but that's because of the capacity, how do you gauge how many more could be drawn with appropriate marketing? After all, there's no point in pushing the message if you don't have the seats to fill. When wnir opened 2500 capacity was considered a gamble when the likes on Slough and Swindon had half that. When Sheffield opened everyone thought I'd be empty. I'm firmly in the, "if you build it, they will come" camp.

Wannabe2

No probs mate it’s a huge problem with text talk, it’s so easy to take things the wrong way, I do it all the time. Anyway we get to see our team again tomorrow, that’s the main thing.Stay Safe.

Mazzoak

I remember reading about this before. What would this mean for the Devils? Is there a realistic chance we'd become tenants?
If you can afford the cost to hire and fit out a rink in there, sell out, then yes. It’s a business and anyone that willing to pay would be welcome. Having said that there looking at a million visitors a year, it'll be attracting some serious artist, so it won’t be cheap or practical unless it was guaranteed viable, they won’t want anything less than full capacity.
Can the Devils organise an event of that magnitude and make a profit, not on the way I’ve witnessed the clubs off ice management of their own rink, granted they don’t own it, they do manage it and we’ve still got a shit sound system.......so no.
As for travelling teams from say the NHL, KHL or whoever, well their not exactly regular visitors to the U.K. and we’ve got plenty of purpose built venues capable of hosting. So no, I’d love to see an NHL team in Cardiff, I’m afraid judging by past pre season attendance levels of CHL teams, very few would bother. In fact it wouldn’t surprise me if 60% of supports would even know what the NHL was........