Cardiff arena

NathanG

I remember reading about this before. What would this mean for the Devils? Is there a realistic chance we'd become tenants?

moggy#9

Thread starter #3
I remember reading about this before. What would this mean for the Devils? Is there a realistic chance we'd become tenants?
I would guess a lot would depend on whether ice plant was installed. As a first step I'd love to see the play offs moved there and maybe a some other events like a world championships bid, or NHL exhibition matches. I believe that ultimately the club has to grow its fan base, and this would be a way to do that. I know that a previous discussion on this showed a split of opinions.

Mooney#16

You’d like to hope it was built with one eye on hockey and an ability to have an ice pad. As for Devils I doubt there’s much chance they would make that move. The costs would be crippling and doubt you’d get a regular enough gate to make it profitable. What I wouldn’t mind though is an agreement Devils might be able to play a % of games in the arena per season. The ones where you know you might have a large enough attendance to actually make money.

moggy#9

Thread starter #5
You’d like to hope it was built with one eye on hockey and an ability to have an ice pad. As for Devils I doubt there’s much chance they would make that move. The costs would be crippling and doubt you’d get a regular enough gate to make it profitable. What I wouldn’t mind though is an agreement Devils might be able to play a % of games in the arena per season. The ones where you know you might have a large enough attendance to actually make money.
I think it's all about the marketing. Nottingham went from a 2800 capacity to what they have now with no problem, so I don't see why growing should be a problem for us.

revilo

Definitely would be good in theory to have an ice pad built in to use when required, but as for using it full time I would be a bit concerned about playing in a half full arena on a regular basis.

moggy#9

Thread starter #7
Definitely would be good in theory to have an ice pad built in to use when required, but as for using it full time I would be a bit concerned about playing in a half full arena on a regular basis.
Hence why I've suggested some events to start. I have complete confidence in Todd and the owners to grow the club.

Mooney#16

There’s growth and then there’s growth. Nottingham have grown but only to an average gate of around 5600 and that’s highest in the league. I’ve no doubt with effort Devils could get something similar but is that a figure that could sustain a team renting a 15k seater arena each week. I think as Manchester Storm mk1 proved that is quite some undertaking. And as far as match night experience went it would be a hard sell to generate atmosphere in there.

Whilst perhaps the ideal capacity for IAW would have been something around 5k it’s all hindsight and hard to criticise.

The key question would be with a facility like that on your door step it would present growth in certain situations without being a drain. Could that be capitalised on in anyway.

From a fan perspective though do you want to watch devils v stealers in a sold out IAW or a echoing shell with about 5-6k in it. Atmosphere wise I know which of those options wins.

tim78

A full arena's better than a big arena any day.

I think the Club can grow and potentially split games in the future like Sheffield. Though I do preference the intimacy of the smaller rinks compared to the arena's on a regular basis. Would take a bit of a shine of the playoff finals weekend for me.... especially if they moved to a 15,000 in Cardiff.

Kevlar68

The thing is the profit from a game at IAW will out way a game at new arena. We'd have to lease the arena for a game which would include cost of taking flooring up, setting ice pad, relaying flooring after, no food and beverage profits, etc. Not cost effective in my eyes.
The IAW is ours, anything made through a game there us ours.

moggy#9

Thread starter #11
There’s growth and then there’s growth. Nottingham have grown but only to an average gate of around 5600 and that’s highest in the league. I’ve no doubt with effort Devils could get something similar but is that a figure that could sustain a team renting a 15k seater arena each week. I think as Manchester Storm mk1 proved that is quite some undertaking. And as far as match night experience went it would be a hard sell to generate atmosphere in there.

Whilst perhaps the ideal capacity for IAW would have been something around 5k it’s all hindsight and hard to criticise.

The key question would be with a facility like that on your door step it would present growth in certain situations without being a drain. Could that be capitalised on in anyway.

From a fan perspective though do you want to watch devils v stealers in a sold out IAW or a echoing shell with about 5-6k in it. Atmosphere wise I know which of those options wins.
What isn't clear is if the stated 15k is just for concerts. If it is, the capacity for hockey would probably be similar to Sheffield. If we don't have a plan for growth, in the long term we'll be left behind.

In pre covid times, if I wanted to take my family and my brother it was incredibly difficult to get 5 good seats together. This was enough to stop is attending. The club is at it's limits now (it's also good to see the likes of Manchester and Dundee getting all outs). I won't deny there are potential problems, but businesses must grow.

moggy#9

Thread starter #12
The thing is the profit from a game at IAW will out way a game at new arena. We'd have to lease the arena for a game which would include cost of taking flooring up, setting ice pad, relaying flooring after, no food and beverage profits, etc. Not cost effective in my eyes.
The IAW is ours, anything made through a game there us ours.
All valid points which would have to be weighed up. But I don't think that the concept should be dismissed out of hand.

Kevlar68

Also I forgot to add ticket prices would definitely be increased which could lead to less sales.
If we've rented the arena and still only 3000 turn up its a huge loss to Devils and a loss to fans who have bought tickets for instance at £22 when IAW is £17.
Lots of pros and cons.

Earnie

To have the option for big events (like Playoff Weekend) would be terrific. Big on ice entertainment of the dance/musical type could be a big draw to the city and our hotels would benefit. In the big picture the inclusion of an ice plant might not be that outrageous.
I like the fact they say the car park will be done first. Still waiting down our end of the Bay.

moggy#9

Thread starter #15
Also I forgot to add ticket prices would definitely be increased which could lead to less sales.
If we've rented the arena and still only 3000 turn up its a huge loss to Devils and a loss to fans who have bought tickets for instance at £22 when IAW is £17.
Lots of pros and cons.
Would ticket prices go up though? It depends on your cost model. You might reduce the cost of tickets knowing that you make it back on some other aspect.

Wannabe2

A 15,000 seater is greatly reduced for hockey due to the ice pad, as has already been stated, the cost to Panthers and Steelers in ice time is I believe anywhere between 12-15k,per game, the cost of stewarding is high, then you are at the Arenas beck and call when you can play, then there’s office space and a merchandise shop to pay for. Where do all the other teams play, what about public skating. We have the best home we have ever had at the moment, is it faultless no, is there room for much extensions probably not, playing at both wouldn’t be a goer in my view, installing a ice pad for ex amount of games certainly wouldn’t be viable.

Kevlar68

At the WNIR it took 6 of us through the night to board out the pad for events, so that's 48 hours at premium rate due night shift then another 48 to take up.
96 hours at today's night cost could be near £1400 that's nothing compared to the other costs.

Like the idea of bigger arena but I say leave it where it is.

tim78

Please don't be disillusioned with being left behind, the league is at a push to find teams to compete/ keep in this league at this level without pushing the top end further away.