Cardiff Devils Confirmed Signings & Departures 2019/20

ASHIPP

Maybe an announcement about MO on wednesday at the training session my gut feeling is bye bye. hope not as i wont be there, would be a shame if he leaves that way, hope not, how could devils replace the best shot blocker in the lge by far...
Many people thought Andrew Hotham was irreplaceable but the team was very lucky that Gleason had such an outstanding year last year. No-one is indispensable. A change in Morissette's role combined with a dip in performance underlined that he was no longer producing at the level he had been. The club looks to have recruited to address some weaknesses exposed in some performances last season. No surprise it appears the club has focused on mobility and speed in addition to winning ethic and experience this off-season.

jenks33

I think just after we brought in Livingston Giants got Smotherman and he made an immediate Impact on a few games.
There are probably many good reasons how we ended up with Livi ( money, type of player needed, availability etc) but when the league was decided the way it was it does make you wonder.
I’m pretty sure we will have upgraded on him and I’m happy with him not returning.
Not that he’s not a good player and the effort was definitely always there
Pretty much how I feel about Livingston. Can’t knock his effort at all and he seemed like a good locker room guy. I don’t think he did enough to merit a 2nd year tho. Who knows he may have created more of an impression if he was given a 2nd year but you can say that about most players in similar situations. At the end of the day he played 24 games and I expected a bit more of an impact. As I mentioned earlier though I think he did have a good play off final

Ocko

What’s happening with Mo is a little strange - surely we aren’t leaving the final signing to him? His signing has been divisive for a few seasons, it would be a bit of a PR own goal to save the last, and what should be the best and most exciting signing, to a player who some won’t be happy about. But, he hasn’t been announced as not returning with Ulmer and Livingstone so I would assume he is going to be involved. I would’ve personally tucked his signing amongst the middle signings if he was to return.

jenks33

What’s happening with Mo is a little strange - surely we aren’t leaving the final signing to him? His signing has been divisive for a few seasons, it would be a bit of a PR own goal to save the last, and what should be the best and most exciting signing, to a player who some won’t be happy about. But, he hasn’t been announced as not returning with Ulmer and Livingstone so I would assume he is going to be involved. I would’ve personally tucked his signing amongst the middle signings if he was to return.
Yeah I agree. He seems like a signing that would have been announced a while ago if he is coming back

Rich Best

Huge respect for Jake. Most successful Devil's captain ever speaks volumes. That was no coincidence. Players don't throw themselves in front of pucks like he did time and time again, if they don't hold the badge close to their heart.

A true gentleman. You will be sorely missed, Players and leaders like you don't come around often. All the very best in your future endeavors.

jenks33

Still wouldn’t surprise me if we announce another forward signing. No import limit in the CHL and we could just carry a spare in the league. Players like Haddad and Linglet might need to be rested at times this year

mjh

Isn't Rutkis our spare or am I missing something? I'd be concerned signing anyone further could impact on ice time for Duggan and Rutkis.

tim78

Rutkis is a spare, just think people were looking for another import.... if the likes of Lingley is out then it just means everyone has to step up. Which I think is fair just hoping we don't get a continuous list of injuries or long terms ones.

It'll be interesting when Mosey returns, as he'll be fighting for a spot for both D and Forwards.

Gazza272

Rutkis is a spare, just think people were looking for another import.... if the likes of Lingley is out then it just means everyone has to step up. Which I think is fair just hoping we don't get a continuous list of injuries or long terms ones.

It'll be interesting when Mosey returns, as he'll be fighting for a spot for both D and Forwards.
Rutkis looked sharp in training mid week. Genuine EIHL talent in that kid, and i've no qualms about us giving him ice time should the opportunity arise this year.

Devils86

Doubt we’ll see Mosey before end of February maybe March. Even then he won’t have been playing and will be rusty. We therefore need to presume he won’t feature much this season (regrettably).

Whilst Toms has potential (and can only fulfil that through increased ice time) I’d be surprised if he is our spare this year.

Given the Devils said that the D core was complete - rather than the roster - I would expect a late signing akin to the Parisi announcement. Where that signing fits in and who actually ends up being the spare will be interesting.

Toms dresses when he’s in Cardiff anyway as part of our 2 (of 3) “free” under 23 Brits. Whether he gets many minutes is different.