Cardiff Devils Confirmed Signings & Departures 2019/20

osh

Two massive signings today. Lord has transformed the playing side of the team and improved year on year in his coaching standards. Players respond to his attention to detail and his genuine love for the club and fans. The club has also acknowledge the fact that they wouldn’t stand in his way if a better offer came along, which is a credit to the organisation and mutual respect.
The Bowns signing is also significant and welcome news. His performances, especially in recent GB games was very well publicised in the hockey world and for him to re sign is a huge coup for the club in my opinion.

Devils86

Both interviews on the Devils YouTube channel are a must watch for all.

Just love Lord and everything he brings to the organisation.

Bowns being honest throughout and I hope we have the same problem next summer (worrying that a top team will snap him up as he’s had a top year). He deserves more than he got this summer. There’s a disappointing (for some) revelation at the end of the interview but I understand the reasons behind it.

Great day to be a Devil

Earnie

It is so important to nail your goalkeeper fairly early. I am delighted Bowns wants back with us and we did not loose him to somewhere in Europe.
I am equally pleased that Lordo has a good contract with Devils.

Kevlar68

Awesome news, lets hope no one comes poaching as the club are happy letting players progress and move on during season which is honourable on our clubs part.

Last edited:

Gospel

Interesting interview with Bownsy. Only one offer to him this off season but i guess that if he has another great season then the offers will be flooding in from europe. Only thing going against him I guess is his age.

Devils86

He makes reference to the inherent caution that clubs have in picking up a Brit goalie. I can see clubs being interested next summer if he has another good Worlds campaign and performs in the CHL. Sounds like a few teams who may have taken a shot on him already have a No.1 contracted for this year and so just a case of wrong place, wrong time. I genuinely hope it works out for him next summer.

I am surprised he’s back. Which means I can’t really be disappointed if he leaves next summer.

I was also pleased to hear that the organisation offered him an extension last year but weren’t going to stand in his way this summer. That protects us from mid-season poaching, or at least gets us a fee like with Blood.

Ger-Devils

Most leagues/teams have their goalies confirmed early April as that’s their first part of the puzzle and main priority.

There was minimal options after the world champs maybe 1 space here and there but probably 20 games a season which you don’t want.

Delighted he’s back and the way the club work with players not to stop progression is awesome.

Wagstaff

Pleased I will get to see Bownsy for a few games, love to watch him play, even if it ruins a Sunday night for me.
Good on you guys for keeping him in the league

ASHIPP

Think there's a subtle implication in that interview that there may be opportunities next year - this year was too late because many teams will have already signed their starting goalies early. And Ben is not the sort of goalie who would want to sit out games - he wants to play every gamenight so it will have to be the right offer at the right time. We are lucky to have him on our Team for another season.

mjh

Awesome news. Linglet was the most entertaining player on the team last year imo and I'd hoped he would be back. Looking forward to seeing which new guys we get in to improve further.