Cardiff Devils Confirmed Signings & Departures 2022/23

moggy#9

I don’t think you’re wrong but I suspect other clubs in the EIHL have had the same problems since Covid. In the past we were probably quite generous to players that we were trying to re-sign but it’s probably a lot more cutthroat now. Bit of a take it or leave it approach. It must be difficult for the owners and Todd to keep everyone happy and sign/re-sign exactly who they want when finances are clearly tighter. Particularly with the unofficial salary cap last season
The salary cap is an odd one isn't it? I have a strong suspicion that certain clubs used it as a way of getting one over on their more honest rivals. Or maybe that's just my paranoid mindset.

BostonBart22

The salary cap is an odd one isn't it? I have a strong suspicion that certain clubs used it as a way of getting one over on their more honest rivals. Or maybe that's just my paranoid mindset.
The salary could be spot on, it's the perks that gives the players an extra incentive, cars, accommodation, they probably come with a deal, whatever is on their payslip counts

Kevlar68

Always loopholes with contracts as long as all players basic wage comes below salary cap that's all that matters, they could even add something ridiculous in contract like "If you play over 2 minutes of hockey you will receive an extra £300 per game played in" that would class as a bonus not salary.

moggy#9

Always loopholes with contracts as long as all players basic wage comes below salary cap that's all that matters, they could even add something ridiculous in contract like "If you play over 2 minutes of hockey you will receive an extra £300 per game played in" that would class as a bonus not salary.
I'm surprised that the league doesn't have a standard contract to prevent that sort of thing. Mind you, that would require a certain amount of competence and organisation.

Finny

Might not be the right place for this -

Matt Register on Wally’s podcast talking about how he was expecting to come back but the deal fell apart and he doesn’t know why.

I was on the fence about him returning (in that I felt he was sometimes inconsistent defensively, but I liked him), but it is disappointing to hear that we have now had Mosey, Myers, and Register bemoan the way they left the Devils.

There could be plenty of reasons why (and his agent was no doubt involved, which might explain things) but we don’t want to risk our reputation as a team that looks after people.
The fact that all these players (plus McNally) were all disappointed at not returning suggests we do look after our players very well. Else they’d be wanting to leave.

Nobody likes being told they‘re not wanted anymore. But Todd, Franny and DuPont have to put the club before any sentimentality towards players. We’ve had players like Hendrikx be vocally disappointed at being let go in the past but we’ve continued to sign top players and things like this will happen from time to time.

But if we weren’t treating players well we would never have kept the likes of Martin and Fournier for as long as we did. We would never have re-signed so many players we did this summer nor attracted the quality of player we just have.

Im not worried about any drop in the reputation of our club in the slightest.

OJLloyd

It’s not so much the looking after players during their time here, it’s more the insinuation by Register that we were underhanded in our dealings in the summer.

But until there’s an agreement signed he wasn’t guaranteed anything so can’t expect anything. Perhaps it’s just sour grapes on his part.

As you say, we keep signing (and re-signing) top players so I imagine any concerns at all would be minimal.

voth26

I think that you probably have to consider the circumstances around the three players. In the case of mosey and Myers we had a new coach coming in who wanted to do things in a particular way. Waller was certainly an upgrade on Myers (particularly given myers' age). Mosey's jokey personality may have been an issue for Skalde. In the case of register it's possible that wages may have been an issue, or that the options that presented themselves seemed to have greater upside.

The fact that we have players like Martin and jardine returning days to me that there's no problem with the way the club looks after people.
I listened to Register on Wally's podcast, I got the feeling he was expecting to be brought back but wasn't actually told he was going to be by the club but thats purely my opinion. He said he spoke to Jards an wished him well. To be fair to Register He did say he would have liked to have been in Cardiff for a few years and would like to hopefully return at some point in the future, make of that what you will

Slartibartfast

Register did sound a bit disgruntled about not being resigned but I suspect it was down to money/availability of other players. I doubt he lost out to Jardine. I think Crawford is more likely the Register replacement. He has very similar stats but is much younger.
I will miss Register. I think he was great defensively and offensively but I look forward to seeing what Crawford brings.

voth26

Register did sound a bit disgruntled about not being resigned but I suspect it was down to money/availability of other players. I doubt he lost out to Jardine. I think Crawford is more likely the Register replacement. He has very similar stats but is much younger.
I will miss Register. I think he was great defensively and offensively but I look forward to seeing what Crawford brings.
I didn't say he lost out to Jardine, just that he spoke to him. I think Crawford is registers replacement as well