Cardiff Devils Confirmed Signings & Departures 2022/23

Mazzoak

Bowns had my full support when he was here & did a great job under some very poor management/coaching decisions. Now we’ve gone & downgraded, sorry Carruth should’ve stayed, hopefully I’m wrong and Bowns is fit & improved, l wouldn’t be surprised if within 3 months of him doing most of the games he pops that injury and we are left up puck creek……..
Dupont wants more entertainment, more offensive skill, control the puck, bigger up front, win everything. So basically what every coach wants really, good luck, let’s see who else we get because so far, six new guys rumoured, well four now, getting those wants is going to be tough.

BostonBart22

The spine if the team is certainly stronger, particularly if we can keep Dixon for the third line. If Martin centers the first line I'm concerned about the lack of anyone big to go to the net on that line if we keep Reid and Crandall.

If we keep kozun I'm concerned about the reliability of our netminding. I'd also want to be seeing a pretty even spread of starts.
My opinion is Martin could be on 2nd line if our forwards return from last season

Swarley

Would have loved to see carurh and bownsy in the same team.. would have driven both players forward... just imagine the both of them in the same team
Can't picture it, Mac is a larger than life personality and in my opinion the better goalie, would Bowns really want to fight for that starting spot against a goalie of Macs calibre?

matbur

Very happy with the signings, keeping a strong core of GB players is imperative.

I can see both sides of the discussion around Bowns, but it would be foolish to completely write him off. He needs to be hungry and show desire to match his previous performance levels but he has proven himself to be a dominant goaltender and win games at this level.

Yes, Carruth was outstanding for us, on the ice at least, but it's difficult to retain players of his calibre in this league.

I would definitely feel more reassured about Bowns coming back in if there a roster spot for a strong backup to push him.

Samael

I was convinced Bowns was off to Nottingham, l know he was looked after here by the club but some of the uncalled for abuse he and his Mrs got by so called fans, l thought he'd have not wanted to come back. People on here have short memories, Ben stole us many games, including a playoff final against Shuff. OK, he's older now and the league has changed but l don't see him signing as a bad thing. He just needs to stay healthy, which with the right tandem I'm sure he will.

Also the GOAT has come home! I'm chuffed to bits about that news.

ASHIPP

Wonder if Bownsey will get the benefit of the Canadian netminding boot camp again, like he used to every Summer in the early seasons with the Devils....

Wannabe2

I am well pleased Bownsy is back, especially now we lost Carruth, and am totally so chuffed Joey is back, and even better that he is well chuffed to be coming home. The team is starting to look very good already, Coughler coming back is also huge, Sanford and Cox next now please. Happy Hockey Days.

mjh

Great to be keeping Waller. He was excellent last season and I thought he'd be off. Bowns has great experience and has won so much with us. I'm pretty happy he's back and gives more flexibility for another import. I'm massively excited about the return of Joey. To have him confirmed is great news. Yes, Carruth was a very good netminder for us but I'm pretty optimistic for this coming season. I predict more silverware. Looking forward to seeing who else joins up.

OJLloyd

.909 save percentage, with a 2.68 GAA last season in Slovakia, by the looks of it playing as a back up (25 games).

His team made the playoffs, he played one game with a .939% and a 1.83 GAA, in which his team lost the series.

Graz, including the injury, Bowns had a .904 save percentage with a GAA of 2.91.

I think only Cade Neilson did himself any favours for GB, so I’m not paying too much attention to it.

Besko happened to play in the Slovakian league in 19/20, and he put up a .930 and 2.04 GAA in 44 Games.

So is there a risk that Bownsy isn’t the guy who backstopped us to some of our best nights? Yup.

Is it also possible that he’ll come back and feel comfortable and happy? Yup.

Pleased he’s back, hoping he shows his best. And will look forward to the wave.