Cardiff Devils Confirmed Signings & Departures 2022/23

moggy#9

Have to agree with that. The saves look great on a highlight reel. Almost like he’s a few inches out of position and has to flop or throw himself around to make the save.

For what it’s worth I’d prefer Carruth, I though he offered a lot more. Shame the organisation didn’t want him to stay. That being said I’ll obviously get behind Bowns and hope he plays as well as we know he can behind a better D than Mac had to play with for a long part of the season.
You make a good point and I'd be interested to know how much the signing of bowns impacts how Dupont constructs the defence for the coming season. For instance will be look to have less offensive contribution and shut down things in our own zone a bit more.

moggy#9

I'm probably more intrigued to see what the plan is at the other end of the ice. Is something like this a possibility?

Big/physical left winger- Martin - Reid

Cox - Coughler - Sanford

Waller - Big/physical Centre - Crandall

Brandt - Davies - Duggan

I'm not sure how realistic it is to have Crandall on the 3rd line but i think there's a better balance with those lines if we want to play a heavier game than last season. I know a few people have suggested Martin on the third line but i can't see that happening personally. If we want to juggle the lines a bit i can only see Crandall or Reid on the 3rd line, with Crandall probably being the more realistic option.
The two things we need from the new forward are the ability to go to the net, and a bit of intimidation to take the pressure off Louis and batch of things get a bit nasty.

Someone mentioned that we need a new Ian McIntyre. I couldn't agree more. If he were around today he'd dominated this league.

jenks33

Clearly some prefer Carruth and some prefer Bowns, what I will say is I’ve got no doubts the locker room will be a happier place next season. Team spirit will be better with Dupont and Bowns in that locker room instead of Skalde and Carruth. For the majority of last season I didn’t think we looked like a team that were enjoying their hockey. Body language was very negative at times.
Being a happier team doesn’t mean we’ll be a successful team but I’ve said all along I can see why they didn’t want Carruth back. Great goalie but seems like such a bad egg. I appreciate some people will say they don’t care about personalities it’s all about winning etc. I disagree with that though, you can’t keep a player that’s creating negative energy in the locker room.

moggy#9

Clearly some prefer Carruth and some prefer Bowns, what I will say is I’ve got no doubts the locker room will be a happier place next season. Team spirit will be better with Dupont and Bowns in that locker room instead of Skalde and Carruth. For the majority of last season I didn’t think we looked like a team that were enjoying their hockey. Body language was very negative at times.
Being a happier team doesn’t mean we’ll be a successful team but I’ve said all along I can see why they didn’t want Carruth back. Great goalie but seems like such a bad egg. I appreciate some people will say they don’t care about personalities it’s all about winning etc. I disagree with that though, you can’t keep a player that’s creating negative energy in the locker room.
Yeah, on that front I'll just say one name: Rick brebant. Incredible on the ice but, apparently, note so much off it.

Finny

As one of the Trolls, if people want to continue being childish, just remember l was one of many defending Bowns on here when he was a Devil, so……..My comments at the time were critical of how many games Bowns was made to play and critical of those who should’ve known better, the coach & management. If Koz is back, the load should be better managed now we’ve got a new coach, hopefully allowing Franny & Dupont to run the team without inference, after all we regularly get informed of their skill set. Koz doesn’t deserve to be benched in the same way Murdy was. In fact I’d actually put Bowns on 2nd option and make him work for his spot, preseason should be the deciding games for both to prove their positions.
Oh I was so determined not to bite at either of you, but you win.
There are times when I wonder if you’ve actually seen any Devils games. And then there is the post which makes me wonder if you’ve seen any EIHL games.
‘Koz doesn’t deserve be benched in the same way Murdy was’.
Huh? Murdy was signed as backup. He knew that he’d only play a handful of games, whether that be because it was CC, or because Bowns was injured or needed a rest.
But let’s ignore that comment for a second and focus on your suggestion that Bowns should be 2nd option behind Kozun.
What was it that you saw *snigger* from Kozun last season that would make him your starter?
Because most people would think putting an experienced international behind a young netminder whose never played more than 25% of games in a professional season ’a bit of a gamble’

MA18

I find the ‘such a bad egg’ reputation a strange one.

It was clear he had his rituals and routines becoming very engrossed in the game, no doubt like that in practice so probably pretty intense…or professional.
You could tell he is a very good reader of what was happening in front of him.

I think he expected more from the organisation, coach and the league.

At the after game skate, signings, bar and around the rink he always came over a a decent guy.

Kevlar68

I think that the comments about Bowns haven't been kicks in the teeth, they've been very level headed and honest.
There seems to be a equal amount of members for and against and haven't seen any posts that look slightly like trolling.
Everybody seems willing to give Bowns the chance to prove them wrong, no one has thrown their toys out of the pram.
For me Bowns has to be at the level of netminder he was when he was with us the first time round, anything less than that and we'll struggle to stay in contention for trophies but his work load has to be less.
We don't know who the next netminder is yet, he could be someone to be mentored by Bowns and then again he could be someone who Bowns has to compete with for first choice that would then need Bowns to up his game.

Finny

I'm probably more intrigued to see what the plan is at the other end of the ice. Is something like this a possibility?

Big/physical left winger- Martin - Reid

Cox - Coughler - Sanford

Waller - Big/physical Centre - Crandall

Brandt - Davies - Duggan

I'm not sure how realistic it is to have Crandall on the 3rd line but i think there's a better balance with those lines if we want to play a heavier game than last season. I know a few people have suggested Martin on the third line but i can't see that happening personally. If we want to juggle the lines a bit i can only see Crandall or Reid on the 3rd line, with Crandall probably being the more realistic option.
Like you I’m hoping/assuming that the Cox-Coughler-Sanford will return and be kept together.
If Reid and Crandall both return I’d like to at least start the season with Martin centering their line. Yes we lose the physicality of Dixon, but the extra creativity excites me. I know some fans were critical of Reid because “ he only scores goals” but ultimately if he was that good a sniper and more all round play then he wouldn’t be in this league.
Similar to when we had Pelle. Max and Matzka were the ones to get the puck into the zone, wait for Pelle to sneak to the back door and then pass it to him.
There seems to be much agreement amongst fans that we’d like to see a Brandt - Davies - Duggan 4th line. It might not score many goals but every other line in the league would hate to play against.
As to the 3rd line, I too would like to see Waller on it. If Dixon isn’t retiring then I’d be happy to see him there along with the power-forward we call for each season!

Devil94

For me Crandall is a must signing

Very under rated
I agree, but I also think Cox and Sanford are must signings too. But I can't see where Duponts comments about being heavier up top fits in with that. I'm sure he meant more than just a big power forward on the 3rd line, and more being bigger throughout the lines.

I wouldn't be so sure that all 3 of those are returning. I'm sure they have all received very good offers in Europe.

Hockeymad

I agree, but I also think Cox and Sanford are must signings too. But I can't see where Duponts comments about being heavier up top fits in with that. I'm sure he meant more than just a big power forward on the 3rd line, and more being bigger throughout the lines.

I wouldn't be so sure that all 3 of those are returning. I'm sure they have all received very good offers in Europe.
If I had to leave one out I would not sign sanford

ASHIPP

Agree with most… it has to be Bowns plus one. Bowns plus Kouzan get as thumbs up but Bowns plus weak Brit…. Not for me. As for Martin… and I’d love someone to ram this down my throat in April…. Never go back…Second line at best. All depends on who he’s partnered with. Martin in this team last year gets eating on the boards with the rest of our lightweight unit. Big bodies next please Brodie. A Haddad type work horse is required.
Joey is gritty, he can handle himself. Even his Elite Prospects profile refers to it when describing his style! He is less than average height for a hockey player but was one of the grittiest and most hard working players on our Team for 6 years. He was a master at puck handling and puck retention, very often being the player on his line to be the one working the boards. Very rarely got beaten. He handled far bigger and more aggressive players in this league prior to COVID.

With his work ethic, no reason to think he won't do the same again.;)

Mazzoak

If my prediction of next yr being a better quality competition from the top teams Carruth would be the better option. If clubs aren’t spending, that maybe the logic in Todd going with Bowns, he and the recent confirmed players are all fan favourite, so it makes business sense to limit budget whilst retaining fan revenue. If clubs are spending, then we’ve got a very tough job ahead, in my opinion.

Last edited:

Mazzoak

Oh I was so determined not to bite at either of you, but you win.
There are times when I wonder if you’ve actually seen any Devils games. And then there is the post which makes me wonder if you’ve seen any EIHL games.
‘Koz doesn’t deserve be benched in the same way Murdy was’.
Huh? Murdy was signed as backup. He knew that he’d only play a handful of games, whether that be because it was CC, or because Bowns was injured or needed a rest.
But let’s ignore that comment for a second and focus on your suggestion that Bowns should be 2nd option behind Kozun.
What was it that you saw *snigger* from Kozun last season that would make him your starter?
Because most people would think putting an experienced international behind a young netminder whose never played more than 25% of games in a professional season ’a bit of a gamble’
Mark stop being an arse, it’s my opinion.

If I had to leave one out I would not sign sanford
I dont understand the readiness to leave Sanford off the roster. At the end of last season the CCS line was all we had. For me the big thing you can’t quantify is chemistry and that line had it in bundles. Sanford is a key part of that line and I hope he and Cox are the next to sign. I hope we can put together a line that pushes CCS to the second line! Then we would have some needed depth. What do we think the four lines will look like?

Mazzoak

The issue with Carruth is he puts 120% into his role & will vocally call out players who don’t, he wasn’t seeing that from a few who didn’t like that approach, especially when it meant he left the game drained whilst others enjoyed the after party, at least that’s what I’m led to believe. He also called out the Coach & Todd, which I’m led to believe is why both are no longer here.

Last edited:

Hockeymad

I dont understand the readiness to leave Sanford off the roster. At the end of last season the CCS line was all we had. For me the big thing you can’t quantify is chemistry and that line had it in bundles. Sanford is a key part of that line and I hope he and Cox are the next to sign. I hope we can put together a line that pushes CCS to the second line! Then we would have some needed depth. What do we think the four lines will look like?
My reply was to someone else not you?

They said they didn’t see cox Sanford and Crandall signing back.

I said if I had to leave one out it would be Sanford.

Didn’t say I didn’t want him back.

kingmo19.1

If my prediction of next yr being a better quality competition from the top teams Carruth would be the better option. If clubs aren’t spending, that maybe the logic in Todd going with Bowns, he and the recent confirmed players are all fan favourite, so it makes business sense to limit budget whilst retaining fan revenue. If you clubs are spending, then we’ve got a very tough job ahead, in my opinion.
Carruth is gone, get over it. Good n/m but a nightmare in the locker room, he won’t be back!