Cardiff Devils Confirmed Signings & Departures 2022/23

moggy#9

The guy who is still playing in his 50's, adored by teammates across the world?

Every elite sportsperson has an ego, it's what keeps them at the top of their game, but Jagr wouldn't split a dressing room.
Wasn't it jagr who said that the reason he keeps playing is that his club relies on him to bring in can and to keep going. That sounds like someone who is loved to me.

Rempel16

Wasn't it jagr who said that the reason he keeps playing is that his club relies on him to bring in can and to keep going. That sounds like someone who is loved to me.
Yes he did, in honour of his father...

https://nypost.com/2021/08/13/jaromir-jagr-has-no-choice-but-to-keep-playing-pro-hockey-at-49/

My friend lives in Czech with his family these days and his local team were playing Jagr's team a couple of months back. My friend isn't a huge hockey fan, but the hype of Jagr persuaded him to get a ticket, and following the game Jagr spent time on the ice to sign merchandise etc for all of the home team fans who wanted something. Ego - definitely, but he doesn't strike me as a guy who's bad in the dressing room.

E.D.S.

Joey is gritty, he can handle himself. Even his Elite Prospects profile refers to it when describing his style! He is less than average height for a hockey player but was one of the grittiest and most hard working players on our Team for 6 years. He was a master at puck handling and puck retention, very often being the player on his line to be the one working the boards. Very rarely got beaten. He handled far bigger and more aggressive players in this league prior to COVID.

With his work ethic, no reason to think he won't do the same again.;)
Let's hope so. He'll certainly need that grit if we don't get his line mates right.

Mazzoak

Jagr caused chaos
The guy who is still playing in his 50's, adored by teammates across the world?

Every elite sportsperson has an ego, it's what keeps them at the top of their game, but Jagr wouldn't split a dressing room.
Yes Ice Hockey 8th highest all time goal scorer is also a bit, very big bit of a Diva, has had many spats with team mates and famously many many clashes with his coach at the Pens. Nearly ever Top sports person has issues, it comes with the territory. From Ronaldo, to Alonso to Venus Williams they all need managing in one form or the other.

jenks33

Jagr caused chaos

Yes Ice Hockey 8th highest all time goal scorer is also a bit, very big bit of a Diva, has had many spats with team mates and famously many many clashes with his coach at the Pens. Nearly ever Top sports person has issues, it comes with the territory. From Ronaldo, to Alonso to Venus Williams they all need managing in one form or the other.
Big difference is all these names that you mention are super stars. Even if Jagr, Ronaldo etc are disruptive they’re kept because they’re invaluable in multi million/billion dollar industries.

Nobody in the EIHL is irreplaceable if they’re unpopular in the dressing room.

Mazzoak

Big difference is all these names that you mention are super stars. Even if Jagr, Ronaldo etc are disruptive they’re kept because they’re invaluable in multi million/billion dollar industries.

Nobody in the EIHL is irreplaceable if they’re unpopular in the dressing room.
In relation to the competition level, Carruth is up at the highest level for the EIHL, so it’s relevant to my comment. Carruth came with plenty of information regarding his “attitude”, it’s why he hasn’t progressed to the level his skill is/was at. If you invite a lion to a childrens party, don’t complain when it eats all the kids………or in Carruth case, pisses of Todd.

Mazzoak

I hope we’re not bloody comparing Jaromyr Jagr to Rick Brebant!!! Lol
No l was challenged to give an example & my choice was the guy the Hockey world regards as the No1 Diva, in a list of many l might add. Hockey has a reputation for having some very challenging changing room exchanges, nature of the game & the people who play, widely known, at least outside of the Inferno that is, I’m surprised many here seem to have some weird views on what goes on in that environment. They work hard, play hard & that spills over…..

jenks33

In relation to the competition level, Carruth is up at the highest level for the EIHL, so it’s relevant to my comment. Carruth came with plenty of information regarding his “attitude”, it’s why he hasn’t progressed to the level his skill is/was at. If you invite a lion to a childrens party, don’t complain when it eats all the kids………or in Carruth case, pisses of Todd.
An example in the “real world” would have been great though. Not a player that’s earned £150 million pounds and was irreplaceable for the majority of his career. During his heyday if Jagr fell out with a coach or 2 or 3 players I know who the Pens or Rangers would have got rid of! It’s not quite the same in the EIHL…

I don’t even think Jagr is a good example. On Spittin chiclets 99% of ex players that played with Jagr speak highly of him. They talk about his strange habits (like going to the gym by himself at 11pm) but they say he’s a good guy. There’s a difference between having plenty of self confidence and being an arse in the dressing room.

Last edited:

ASHIPP

An example in the “real world” would have been great though. Not a player that’s earned £150 million pounds and was irreplaceable for the majority of his career. During his heyday if Jagr fell out with a coach or 2 or 3 players I know who the Pens or Rangers would have got rid of! It’s not quite the same in the EIHL…
Wasn't that marmite Panthers' player Jade Galbraith a good previous example in the EIHL early days? A terrific forward whose ego and drinking/partying lifestyle was tolerated by the Panthers' organisation simply because he was so important to them. Am sure his behaviour would have angered Corey Neilson, but the guy just kept scoring goals, even during an important Belfast game once after being out on the town the night before!! What can you do??

jenks33

Wasn't that marmite Panthers' player Jade Galbraith a good previous example in the EIHL early days? A terrific forward whose ego and drinking/partying lifestyle was tolerated by the Panthers' organisation simply because he was so important to them. Am sure his behaviour would have angered Corey Neilson, but the guy just kept scoring goals, even during an important Belfast game once after being out on the town the night before!! What can you do??
You could tell he enjoyed his food and drink. He was never in the greatest shape was he? Certainly a bit of a Phil Kessel was Galbraith. From the outside though he generally seemed popular with his teammates right? It’s going back a few years so I can’t remember.

Mazzoak

I don’t even think Jagr is a good example. On Spittin chiclets 99% of ex players that played with Jagr speak highly of him. They talk about his strange habits (like going to the gym by himself at 11pm) but they say he’s a good guy. There’s a difference between having plenty of self confidence and being an arse in the dressing room.
If you know Hockey you know what goes on in the changing rooms stay there, you’re not going to find much on Google, unless it’s a big story. Also nobody is going to publicly call out a player of such class, it’s always managed, by managed i mean controlled, sacked, binned whatever in house and in the case of Jagr, the coach got binned, but the fans of the time aren’t so forgiving.

Kevlar68

I find that if there are any secrets from the locker room of sports persons they either end up in autobiographies of team mates or buried for the fear of lawsuits.

jenks33

If you know Hockey you know what goes on in the changing rooms stay there, you’re not going to find much on Google, unless it’s a big story. Also nobody is going to publicly call out a player of such class, it’s always managed, by managed i mean controlled, sacked, binned whatever in house and in the case of Jagr, the coach got binned, but the fans of the time aren’t so forgiving.
I agree with you regarding players that are still playing. Plenty of retired players are happy to tell the truth though. That’s a big reason why the guests on these podcasts are mostly retired players. Paul Bissonnette always says they tend to go for retired players because they’ll tell the truth and won’t be as conservative

Last edited:

voth26

Have to agree with that. The saves look great on a highlight reel. Almost like he’s a few inches out of position and has to flop or throw himself around to make the save.

For what it’s worth I’d prefer Carruth, I though he offered a lot more. Shame the organisation didn’t want him to stay. That being said I’ll obviously get behind Bowns and hope he plays as well as we know he can behind a better D than Mac had to play with for a long part of the season.
There's clearly reasons why the Devil's didn't resign carruth, I can't imagine them just letting him leave without good reason, which we will never really know.