Cardiff Devils Flashbacks

Paul Sullivan

Loving this. Incredible to think that several of us were taping this show on VHS and sending the tapes to friends of other Clubs as there was nothing that came close to this level of coverage at the time.

An era when the only chance you had of following your team on the road was either Ceefax or a £1.90 / minute phone line update that was run by Gary Moran of the Panthers.

What a time to be alive. Thanks for uploading these. So many memories, not least of which Alan Wilkins' very 90's ties o_O

Kevlar68

MacWilliam and Ware are my fav out of those. I was up in the organ balcony for most of those clips, bloody freezing up there.

kingmo19.1

re-watching that devils v pirates game is an eye-opener. The league was certainly a forwards dream in those days. With most teams playing 1 import D (Nottingham aside who I recall used to sometimes have 2) it was a walk in the park for the import forwards. Looks like backchecking and forechecking was pretty much non existent.

The stats at the end of the program was pretty comical compared to the EIHL of today:-

Doug McEwen, played 2 games, 13 points!

BostonBart22

christ there was some big money players on the ice especially that game. what a programme as well , bbc has missed a trick these last few years even before freesports arrived.. oh wait bbc 1 have got the womens world cup coming up...yes bbc 1...grrrrrr

Gospel

best of all, the Devils gear. How great does it look?! Green shorts, white jersey & red tinpot. Maybe one day we'll have this again

kingmo19.1

Best era for kit ... clean top, 1 main logo. Both ours and Durham’s looked fantastic.

I know it’s all about multiple smaller sponsorships these days but I hate the modern kits - they just look like someone has taken a machine gun and fired sponsorship logos all over them!

august04

It’s easy to look back with rose tinted specs, but game nights at WNIR were great. I never get tired of watching Lawless, Moria, McEwen and Hope. Some top imports around back then but the netminding was a bit dubious it must be said. Agree about the kit, would love to see a return to those colours, particularly the green shorts. I’d love to see the Wasps return one day, we had some great battles with them.

Wannabe2

Great days in the WNIR, what a blast we all had best ticket in town bar none, still think that, it’s still the best ticket in town, so so lucky to have watched this amazing club for 33 yrs now. Greatest sport on the planet, with the greatest fan base anywhere.

E.D.S.

Keep those flashbacks coming. Such amazing memories. How great were Dougie and Mo?! Dougie’s coast to coast will never get old. Thanks for posting.

Martynwo

Some were bad, but I loved when Taggart and Toleman ref'd, they had "personality".
Taggart loved smoking his Cubans up in the bar and I believe he's still involved in British ice hockey

BostonBart22

Some were bad, but I loved when Taggart and Toleman ref'd, they had "personality".
Taggart loved smoking his Cubans up in the bar and I believe he's still involved in British ice hockey
Boniface for me was the best around , no messing with him in charge, Toemen very good as well, Taggart was devils through and through, worst one was Kirkham he was biased against the devils he hated cardiff..

BostonBart22

classic last goal, on a par of a few of fourniers goals we saw last season...seem to remember cullen taken out by that goon Mike Peron from sheffield blind side hit or a cheap shot..all kicked off then ..would love to see that again if someone got it out there..

Gaz G

classic last goal, on a par of a few of fourniers goals we saw last season...seem to remember cullen taken out by that goon Mike Peron from sheffield blind side hit or a cheap shot..all kicked off then ..would love to see that again if someone got it out there..
I honestly thought Davison was going to kill him.