Cardiff NIHL Announcement...

Finny

Apologies for sounding stupid, but I assume these are what would have in the past been called the ENL1 and ENL2 sides?

Great to hear they will be working with the EIHL team and have agreed deals with PI and more importantly IAW. They've brought through so many players that have ended up playing for the EIHL team that they are a vital resource.

I'm assuming they have split from the DCF due to the worries about its finances and some of trustees, even if they haven't said it explicity in the statement.
IIRC the ENL/NIHL sides never generated much money - I wonder whether people would be happier for some of the 50/50 money to go towards them instead of the juniors?

Cudds has worked exceptionally hard with every to do with these teams, and I am glad that they will be linked with the Devils senior team and away from the pile or ego's that the DCF has now become.

Good luck Cudds and team - keep up the work and I am sure the rewards will come.

Exciting times ahead and I look forward to seeing the "Cardiff Fire" in action next season :)

Kipper

Well done and good luck to Cudd and the team. Great that they are in control of their own destiny with ice time agreements in the BBT and IAW. Really happy that they are no longer associated with the bogus charity

Can anyone clarify what is happening with Devils ENL2 ? One minute they're to remain with the DCF then next there's a statement saying they're part of the new breakaway setup..
There was some confused players at training tonight.

The line of having 'one single unified squad icing teams in two leagues', suggests that Cardiff Fire will be entering teams into NIHL 1 & 2.

I would have assumed Cudd would have looked at the NIHL2 subs revenue stream as being crucial to the funding of this strategic breakaway from the DCF.

Skate_It_Off!!! said:
I would have assumed Cudd would have looked at the NIHL2 subs revenue stream as being crucial to the funding of this strategic breakaway from the DCF.
Please correct me if I have misunderstood but do the NIHL2 subsidise the NIHL1 team with their subs?

As far as I've understood it and also taking previous topic comments raised on this forum the NIHL2 subs have contributed towards NIHL1 costs. This has always been the understanding of the NIHL2 players and their team managers etc.

I generalise but very few senior NIHL1 players have had to pay subs/match fees.

youngbob

Skate_It_Off!!! said:
As far as I've understood it and also taking previous topic comments raised on this forum the NIHL2 subs have contributed towards NIHL1 costs. This has always been the understanding of the NIHL2 players and their team managers etc.

I generalise but very few senior NIHL1 players have had to pay subs/match fees.
it's largely as you describe, but it's a political minefield - NIHL2 players pay subs, many NIHL1 players do not, plus NIHL2 also provide players for NIHL1 when their players "can't make away games", leaving themselves shorthanded

don't take the fact that it's been operating that way to mean everyone is happy with that arrangement

So will this new set-up mean everyone pays the same? I read the statement as the Cardiff Fire would be two teams in two leagues but made up from one squad. Is this correct? It would be a bit unfair if one group of players were subsidising another, it would surely negate any benefits of breaking away from the farce that is the DCF and create more splintering of teams that should, in an ideal scenario, all come under the Devils "banner"

Ocko

It wouldn't surprise me and it wouldn't be something I would disagree with either. Other NIHL sides pay their players almost a professional wage, we cannot expect the best players to have to pay subs when they could actually earn a wage instead elsewhere.

Other clubs without an elite league team probably have a much larger income from ticket sales than Cardiff. They can therefore afford to pay their players. I don't see why someone with a 10 year old in the junior club should be helping pay for a grown man, probably earning a wage of his own, play hockey for free.
Lots of fingers have been pointed about why the DCF is short of money. Are they being pointed in the right direction?

Ocko said:
It wouldn't surprise me and it wouldn't be something I would disagree with either. Other NIHL sides pay their players almost a professional wage, we cannot expect the best players to have to pay subs when they could actually earn a wage instead elsewhere.
It would be something I would disagree with if I were a NIHL2 player or the parent of a junior player/players. Other teams may not have an elite side to compete with or may have a bigger ticket buying following. If the team cannot be self supporting maybe it has no future. These are little more than rec teams as far as Cardiff hockey is concerned and if the players can earn a wage I would suggest that they go and do so. To expect other people to pay their way is ridiculous. It is little wonder that there is so much infighting within the Devils "family" if this is the type of thing that is going on.