DEL & EBEL - Coronavirus, remaining fixtures cancelled!

And it starts with the football Man city v aresenal is first game to be postponed..
1583916017269.png https://news.sky.com › story › coron...
Man City v Arsenal postponed - as some Arsenal players go into self-isolation | Breaking News News | Sky News
2 hours ago · Tonight's Premier League game between Manchester City and Arsenal has been postponed " as a precautionary measure" after Arsenal personnel came into contact with a confirmed coronavirus case.

I don't blame them... Health comes before sports.

Rempel16

And it starts with the football Man city v aresenal is first game to be postponed..
To be fair, this is only as a result of playing Olympiakos last week, and a precaution based on the Olympiakos / Nottingham Forest owner being confirmed as positive.

I think we will know by the end of this week what the restrictions are 382 in the UK, in other areas the rise is significant - I fully expect it to be 1000+ by Friday

Devilsatw

Britain don’t care we all must go to work attend big games like wales v Scotland etc and nothing is done. When hundreds of people die they will only say sorry coz they don’t give a shut about us

Rempel16

Britain don’t care we all must go to work attend big games like wales v Scotland etc and nothing is done. When hundreds of people die they will only say sorry coz they don’t give a shut about us
Nobody is obligated to attend any event though?

I guess making you work depends on where you work - there are measures in place for those wanting to self-isolate (SSP etc).

There's just as much chance of catching the Coronavirus at your local supermarket....

IF hundreds die, that don't already have underlying symptoms, then it will be time to panic. Until then, I can't really fault the UK response to what is ultimately quite a lot of media created hysteria*

*Disclaimer - I am in no way suggesting that it's not a serious matter and that it's not sad that lives are being lost, no matter what the cause.

*Second disclaimer - Anyone else think they've already had it before the publicised cases or just me? January - couldn't breathe walking up stairs, lots of coughing, feverish - not great for a pretty fit 36 year old. Doctors tests at the time showed nothing wrong with me. Go figure.

august04

Nobody is obligated to attend any event though?

I guess making you work depends on where you work - there are measures in place for those wanting to self-isolate (SSP etc).

There's just as much chance of catching the Coronavirus at your local supermarket....

IF hundreds die, that don't already have underlying symptoms, then it will be time to panic. Until then, I can't really fault the UK response to what is ultimately quite a lot of media created hysteria*

*Disclaimer - I am in no way suggesting that it's not a serious matter and that it's not sad that lives are being lost, no matter what the cause.

*Second disclaimer - Anyone else think they've already had it before the publicised cases or just me? January - couldn't breathe walking up stairs, lots of coughing, feverish - not great for a pretty fit 36 year old. Doctors tests at the time showed nothing wrong with me. Go figure.
Your second disclaimer could be right. Cases were reported in China in early December last year and the conspiracy theorist in me thinks it was around a while before it was reported. Given the numbers in which Chinese people travel globally, there’s a damn good chance it’s been here and elsewhere for some time and people who may have had it already were just thought to have seasonal cold/flu etc, which results in many deaths too, particularly amongst the elderly/those with underlying health conditions - this might explain why the UK establishment doesn’t seem to be panicking, closing schools, banning mass gatherings etc - which seems the obvious thing to do immediately. We’ll never know though!

Mazzoak

Both me and my OH had flu like symptoms just after Christmas, l commentated to family that it’s worse than a cold, not as bad as a flu but in some ways worse than a flu because that knocks you out, you go off work sick and stay in bed. What we had still meant we worked, functioned but with shortness of breath and coughing, sore throat but no congestion or runny nose or sneezing. I had temperature overnight a few times, then felt better than I’d anticipated on waking in the morning to then feel lousy after a few hours, this lasted for several weeks.
Im currently in isolation from work as I’ve just returned from Asia, ironically l can visit my place of work, just not as an employee. England has more cases than the country I’ve come from, yet if l was in work and travelled to England there wouldn’t be an issue, Asia though, HR have puckered up big time. Extra 7 days paid leave, luckily.
I don’t think we can hide from this, it’ll likely return in various forms, as seasonal flu does every year. We don’t have a vaccine for Flu that’s 100%, it still kills tens of thousands a yr in the U.K. We may have to all go through it in order to improve our bodies immunity, although that may be of little effect for many.
Whilst in Asia every public location you entered involved a temperature check, hand sanitizer & personnel details written. These checks won’t stop infection as public transport etc didn’t involve any, so it’s not 100% effective. Ironically one public outside light display was cancelled, yet the 2000 people capacity nightclub next to the display wasn’t checking anybody. Just as in the U.K. some actions make logical sense, others not so much.

Last edited:

terry hunt

According to the medics they are not currently too concerned about outdoor events.Free air circulation is safer.Cancelling outdoor events would mean fans watching in pubs and more risky
The indoor events are a different issue and a higher risk.

Finny

Scotland have just banned events with over 500 people. So there’s probably no game on Sunday unless it’s behind closed doors
Not strictly true.

The Scottish government have recommended that events with more than 500 people be cancelled FROM next week.
Whether that means Sunday or Monday is another matter though.

Thread starter #33
After today’s COBR emergency meeting it’s highly likely that large indoor events including ice hockey will be suspended/banned from maybe this weekend as the UK move into the next phase to delay the spread of covid19.

terry hunt

Both me and my OH had flu like symptoms just after Christmas, l commentated to family that it’s worse than a cold, not as bad as a flu but in some ways worse than a flu because that knocks you out, you go off work sick and stay in bed. What we had still meant we worked, functioned but with shortness of breath and coughing, sore throat but no congestion or runny nose or sneezing. I had temperature overnight a few times, then felt better than I’d anticipated on waking in the morning to then feel lousy after a few hours, this lasted for several weeks.
Im currently in isolation from work as I’ve just returned from Asia, ironically l can visit my place of work, just not as an employee. England has more cases than the country I’ve come from, yet if l was in work and travelled to England there wouldn’t be an issue, Asia though, HR have puckered up big time. Extra 7 days paid leave, luckily.
I don’t think we can hide from this, it’ll likely return in various forms, as seasonal flu does every year. We don’t have a vaccine for Flu that’s 100%, it still kills tens of thousands a yr in the U.K. We may have to all go through it in order to improve our bodies immunity, although that may be of little effect for many.
Whilst in Asia every public location you entered involved a temperature check, hand sanitizer & personnel details written. These checks won’t stop infection as public transport etc didn’t involve any, so it’s not 100% effective. Ironically one public outside light display was cancelled, yet the 2000 people capacity nightclub next to the display wasn’t checking anybody. Just as in the U.K. some actions make logical sense, others not so much.
You are not a carrier are you?

terry hunt

Not strictly true.

The Scottish government have recommended that events with more than 500 people be cancelled FROM next week.
Whether that means Sunday or Monday is another matter though.
From Monday but the move is to reduce the workload on emergency servicesno fear of contain infection.
British ice hockey is mainly self supporting and does not use emergency services to any extent.
The Wales game is another issue altogether.

pjj365

From Monday but the move is to reduce the workload on emergency servicesno fear of contain infection.
British ice hockey is mainly self supporting and does not use emergency services to any extent.
The Wales game is another issue altogether.
If by the Wales game you mean rugby that's in Cardiff this Saturday
As to the restriction I doubt the Scottish Gov will do a sport by sport/ event he event analysis - it's all or nothing