Devils and coach part ways

GAVIN

What a shocker... it was only last Friday that we had met him and said he was looking forward to the playoffs... glad I got our hockey stick signed by him.

matbur

Very surprised by this.

No indication whether this was decision was taken by the team or by Skalde himself.

The timing is very odd though so there'll be more to it. Hopefully there'll be transparency around this to give clarity to fans.

august04 2.0

Webpage seems to be down.

This has to he a decision by Skalde, hopefully everythings ok with him.
Why does it? If he’d decided to move on for whatever reason, I think the statement would have mentioned that. The fact that there is no reason given, I think speaks volumes.

Devil94

I'm gutted. Not been a perfect season by any means, but for what I expected to be a learning, building season in a long tenure as a new coach, I thought there were plenty of positive signs. He took us against the odds to the first final on offer, and we very nearly won it. He recruited some real gems who I had hoped would stay here with him for a long time. Now we have to start again.
I hope this was a personal reason for Jarrod to leave, and not the club's. That would be disappointing.

moggy#9

As an aside, I wonder how many non Russian coaches and players in the khl are looking for new jobs.

Edit: a quick search shows 3 North American coaches.

Last edited:

august04 2.0

*Started typing this before the statement, apologies.

I'm confused by the decision even more.
There’s no way he would have gone now unless there’s been a big falling out somewhere, he’s had to return home for whatever reason or he’s been offered a job he couldn’t turn down. And if it was the latter two, I’m sure the statement would have mentioned that. All very odd.
And I’m not in the ‘get Pacha in‘ camp either. This next appointment is crucial and we need a high calibre replacement who knows what it takes to win championships. Pacha has done well with lower league teams who have no expectations to win anything. There’s a huge difference between that and coaching the Devils.

E.D.S.

He wasn't the coach we needed, for me. He seemed to struggle with the British game and way to play. Ironically, the way we play make us more suited to cup competition - being able to beat anyone on our day but not sustainable - so it's a shame to see him go at this point of the season.

There’s no way he would have gone now unless there’s been a big falling out somewhere, he’s had to return home for whatever reason or he’s been offered a job he couldn’t turn down. And if it was the latter two, I’m sure the statement would have mentioned that. All very odd.
And I’m not in the ‘get Pacha in‘ camp either. This next appointment is crucial and we need a high calibre replacement who knows what it takes to win championships. Pacha has done well with lower league teams who have no expectations to win anything. There’s a huge difference between that and coaching the Devils.
Another point on appointing Pacha is that he is effectively Coach and everything else in Dundee. Why would he take the job here when we 'only' need a coach. I agree that it's not the right fit.

OJLloyd

I’m not sure the appointment every really worked in terms of what we saw on the ice.

Some of the disappointment can be put down to injuries. But our away form has been pretty poor all season. We have lost 6 on the trot away, 7/8 away if you only count the league games. Of those losses we picked up two OT/pen losses. 4 points from 16 is pretty poor going,

If we had managed a 75% win rate (not completely unfathomable) then we would have actually been 5 points behind Belfast. And that’s only the last 8 away games.

I’m not suggesting that he was jumped or pushed, I don’t know either way.

But I’m grateful for some of the entertainment (5-0 stuffing of Shuff, thank you) and wish him the best for the future.