Devils and coach part ways

Wonder if giving the new coach more autonomy/involvement in recruitment is part of the hook to attract higher calibre coaching? Also I wonder if giving a new coach dual role eg hockey operations role in addition to head coach allows higher wage than league rules would otherwise allow??
There are no league rules regarding salaries etc. just a gentleman’s agreement.
Interpretations of those agreements then very much depend upon the gentlemen (cough) doing the interpretation!

Let’s be honest the EIHL is always a three horse race, finishing 3rd isn’t a great achievement unless you’re the Nottingham Panthers!

E.D.S.

Which is why the issue was suggested by me to be financial. If fans are aware, logically the professionals are even more and if they haven’t made changes, there must be a logical reason. Obviously nobody on the Inferno at this point in time will know the reason, do we blame the coach. I’d suggest from an employee/employer point of view and looking at previous examples within sport, it’s blindingly obvious both parties relationship has broken. Why, well that is speculation, therefore suggesting its a coaching issue has little credibility, the same way blaming anything has little credibility, we just don’t know. Maybe coach wanted bigger budget, better players, maybe he didn’t & the management did.
The bigger issue now is next year, another year EDS wont be happy with the performance, fans throwing threats to stop watching may hit season ticket sales, which then spirals as finances going south means less quality, catch 22. We didn’t splash the cash this season, so how much we splash next year.........
What an anticlimax that was. I even ‘bigged you up’ and set the platform for an amazing post.

kingmo19.1

Was walking over the barrage earlier today and I couldn’t believe my eyes !!!!!

Thommo was roller blading over eating a 6” ham and cheese subway with lettuce tomato and jalapeño!!!

He had his mobile in his other hand and I could clearly hear him saying “Yes Todd,
No problem, 3 years you say” !!!!

matbur

That’s where this league becomes a joke. Action would need to be taken above and beyond the decision making appetite of the leagues Board. Titles stripped, points deducted - akin to Saracens - needs to happen, would never happen. The league have to protect the integrity of the sport in the UK but seem to fail at that year on year.
I posted a few times last week about the issue of integrity in the league and it's being highlighted again. Completely agree with the above.

matbur

Ben Simon had a .357 Magnum budget in a .22 calibre League. Keefe and Lord are better comparisons imho.

No clue what brought this about but the Club has always been bigger than one person, right from Lawless onwards. Here's to the next chapter.
True, but fans deserve some answers sooner rather than later.

ASHIPP

Not that we will ever know, but it just might be he was at end of contract and had an offer from the US. No fallouts / skullduggery or anything untoward involved.
This time of the year is when contract negociations/discussions commence with coaches ....Fox has just renewed his at Steelers.
For whatever reason perhaps Skalde's contract wasn't renewed. We will never know and that is Club business.
Let's look forward to changes and improvements next season. All parties will have learned a lot this year.

august04 2.0

While I don’t expect we'll ever know the real reason behind this, I think Todd Kelman owes it to the fans to do some sort of interview this week, explaining a little bit more about this decision and why it was felt that our head coach and director of hockey operations should go 2 weeks before the play offs start.

Devil94

I'm sure there will be something. It sounds like it all happened so quickly, and there needed to be something brief as to why he wouldn't be around tonight. Don't need personal specifics but some questions need to be answered about a really uncharacteristic situation for the Devils.

JC23

Can anyone remember if it was announced what length contract Skalde had?

I might be reading too much into the timing, but this weekend is usually playoff weekend.
So if he had been given a two year contract back when it was first announced, it’s likely that contract would be expiring around now.
So maybe there were necessary discussions about extending it and there were disagreements about whether it should be extended to end of season or longer?
You know, I’d actually had this same thought, but have been too busy to put it in writing.

It’s an interesting one.

Kevin roog

If his contract did run out Friday , why not have him at the rink so we could give him a proper send off, instead of him writing his program notes saying he’s ready for the playoffs, something fishy going on

august04 2.0

As soon as it was announced the season was being extended, the coaches and players would have had their contracts extended by the same length of time - remember that was announced a while back. There is no way that is the reason for Skalde's departure. He did an interview this week and wrote his program notes saying how much they were looking forward to the playoffs, and then he departs suddenly! In my opinion, the guy has fallen out big time with the club for whatever reason and has either walked or been released.

Hockeymad

Why do people always want a send off or some kind of parade when players/coaches leave??

This is business not a play group.
Let’s get over it and sign someone else

Kevin roog

I don’t think people do want a parade , if everything all good why didn’t Todd thank him in the program last night, we even had a send off for dean smith the ref last night, can’t imagine we thought we’ll sign a coach for the regular season and then if we got an injured player, he can take over for the playoffs