Devils and coach part ways

jenks33

With regards to season tickets, my gang started with 9 people and it’s now Down to 4 for next season, one has gone through Ill health but will continue to go perhaps 2 games a month, the damning bit is the other 4 gave up their season tickets Xmas week which the club were good enough to refund the remaining games , the reason , boredom,
Until Coughler came in we were boring to watch far too often.

Finny

I’ve seen a couple of comments on other threads suggesting that they’d heard there was more to Skalde’s sacking than has been said. They might have better sources than me but I’ve not heard anything like that.

All I’ve heard is that Todd decided that continuing with Skalde would not be the way forward that he wanted the club to go.
I think KingMo asked earlier what ‘IT’ was that Todd referred to. My guess was that it was the style of hockey.

Under Lord it was possession hockey with experienced players. Gain the zone, cycle the puck and wear the opposition down. If you’re the better team you win the majority of these games. Not all. But most. It’s why for 3 or 4 years we won most of the trophies.
Under Skalde though, we were a younger, less experienced team. We played a quick-counter attack style. Soak up the pressure, and as soon as you won the puck back you were attacking quickly. Similar to how Guildford have played the last couple of seasons.
It worked well against Sheffield and Belfast but we struggled against the ‘lesser’ teams who tried to play a similar style. And even against Belfast we lived dangerously in most games. It relied on Carruth keeping us in games and the D restricting the number of good chances. Once we dropped to 4 D that become tougher and tougher. And I think it’s also why we struggled with Kozun in nets.

So in my opinion, Todd decided that he wanted a change in style. Which meant a change in coach.

And although initially I found the timing bizarre, the more I think about it the more sense it makes.
A change in style also means a change in players. Contract discussions will already be taking place (as we’ve seen with Carruth) and so Todd couldn’t allow Skalde to do them. Which meant telling him he would not be here next season next year. And once that happens, it’s best for all parties that they go in their separate directions there and then.

jenks33

I’ve seen a couple of comments on other threads suggesting that they’d heard there was more to Skalde’s sacking than has been said. They might have better sources than me but I’ve not heard anything like that.

All I’ve heard is that Todd decided that continuing with Skalde would not be the way forward that he wanted the club to go.
I think KingMo asked earlier what ‘IT’ was that Todd referred to. My guess was that it was the style of hockey.

Under Lord it was possession hockey with experienced players. Gain the zone, cycle the puck and wear the opposition down. If you’re the better team you win the majority of these games. Not all. But most. It’s why for 3 or 4 years we won most of the trophies.
Under Skalde though, we were a younger, less experienced team. We played a quick-counter attack style. Soak up the pressure, and as soon as you won the puck back you were attacking quickly. Similar to how Guildford have played the last couple of seasons.
It worked well against Sheffield and Belfast but we struggled against the ‘lesser’ teams who tried to play a similar style. And even against Belfast we lived dangerously in most games. It relied on Carruth keeping us in games and the D restricting the number of good chances. Once we dropped to 4 D that become tougher and tougher. And I think it’s also why we struggled with Kozun in nets.

So in my opinion, Todd decided that he wanted a change in style. Which meant a change in coach.

And although initially I found the timing bizarre, the more I think about it the more sense it makes.
A change in style also means a change in players. Contract discussions will already be taking place (as we’ve seen with Carruth) and so Todd couldn’t allow Skalde to do them. Which meant telling him he would not be here next season next year. And once that happens, it’s best for all parties that they go in their separate directions there and then.
Do you assume there will be big changes in playing personnel next season then? More changes than some fans expect?

Finny

Do you assume there will be big changes in playing personnel next season then? More changes than some fans expect?
I guess that depends on how many changes other fans expect?

My guess would be:
2 new netminders
3 -4 new defencemen.
5-6 new forwards.

I also think within those 10-12 new players will be a couple of familiar faces. But that might just be wishful thinking.

jenks33

My guess would be:
2 new netminders
3 -4 new defencemen.
5-6 new forwards.

I also think within those 10-12 new players will be a couple of familiar faces. But that might just be wishful thinking.
Totally agree with you on the number of new players that we are likely to see. I think it’s needed as well. From what I’ve seen on this forum though that is far more than the majority of fans want/expect

Mazzoak

A complete change in style requiring a change in coach can and does happen without dropping your coach at the start of a playoff competition. Unless you’ve already rolled the dice, if you win you win and if you don't, you don’t care. The outgoing coach is simply left out of the process, the GM would be in discussions with the new coach and agents regarding new incoming guys. I’ll still go with a major breakdown in relationship which resulted in either a walk out or sacking & both not planned & thought out. What caused that I’ve no idea, l don’t buy the Todd statement as being factual.

Last edited:

hip check

My guess would be:
2 new netminders
3 -4 new defencemen.
5-6 new forwards.

3-4 new defence men? 4 new guys would mean ruling out Louis, Register, Mikelson and McNulty as surely Batch and Richie must return, 3 would mean keeping 1 of those aforementioned 4 players. For me Register is a must keep player so a max of 3 for me.

Kevin roog

I would keep batch , Richie and register out of the d men, upgrade the rest , sign haas with the brief, if anyone hits Waller you punch, we ain’t got anyone to look after the smaller guys

BostonBart22

I would keep batch , Richie and register out of the d men, upgrade the rest , sign haas with the brief, if anyone hits Waller you punch, we ain’t got anyone to look after the smaller guys
Agree Waller got munched from behind into the boards, thankfully he got up and played on, but no one had a quiet word with the offender, can't be bullied in our barn ever.

ASHIPP

I can't imagine 4 changes in defencemen. Batch and Louis have been an effective partnership for a few years, especially with Josh having a career season. Richie is the Team Captain and Register is one of he best defencemen in the League....a player the Club hopefully will be moving heaven and earth to persuade to stay with us.
Surely it's more a case of 2 (possibly 3) incoming defencemen next season ... I'm guessing Mikkelson might retire.

Last edited:

TL91

I can't imagine 3-4 changes in defencemen. Batch and Louis have been an effective partnership for a few years, especially with Josh having a career season. Richie is the Team Captain and Register is one of he best defencemen in the League....a player the Club hopefully will be moving heaven and earth to persuade to stay with us.
Surely it's more a case of 2 incoming defencemen next season ...McNulty will not be on the team (although appears to be liked by TK) and I'm guessing Mikkelson will retire.
Why don’t you think McNulty will be back?

Diablo3

I like louis and mcnulty but we need to upgrade d ,so i would definitely sign 2 new players,possibly 3,I don’t think we can bring all 6 back
Not sure there will be wholesale changes in D, 1 maybe 2. That would be Fourns and maybe 1 other. We had the number 2 D in the league this season and a lot of that was short benched.

carruth might have helped with regard to being number 2 as well
According to official EIHL stats;
Carruth faced 1327shots in 41 reg season games.
Beskorawany faced 956 shots in 40 reg season games!

I think we can all agree that Beskorawany is one of the best to play in the EIHL so for Carruth to post a better SVS whilst facing 30% more rubber is outstanding!

Definitely my MVP!

Last edited:

kingmo19.1

Upgrades being demanded here, there and everywhere - sounds good but let’s not forget it costs lots of £££££££

Is the club in a position to do that ????