Devils Qualify For CHL 20/21

jenks33

Great news. Nice to see that the hammering we gave Sheffield on the Friday night was important after all. I’m sure Sheffield and Belfast fans will try to downplay it but being the only EIHL team in the CHL next season (if it goes ahead) is a huge bonus. Should also help when it comes to recruitment for next season

Kevlar68

Great news for the Team. So if the CHL are taking it that the top team in each of the European leagues are now in the CHL should this now lead to the first placed teams are presented with their league titles? The other EIHL teams agreed to the Devils having a CHL place so why not the league title? Just a thought.

Last edited:

Diablo3

It's going to help us no end with recruitment for next season. Players of the quality of Sointu may decide it's worth joining us now.

kingmo19.1

Great news for the Team. So if the CHL are taking it that the top team in each of the European leagues are now in the CHL should this now lead to the first placed teams are presented with their league titles? The other EIHL teams agreed to the Devils having a CHL place so why not the league title? Just a thought.
The league awarding no title is explained in the article - fair by all accounts.

osh

It's going to help us no end with recruitment for next season. Players of the quality of Sointu may decide it's worth joining us now.
With great respect, I’d be looking - and hoping - for players of a higher calibre than Sointu. I know there are lots of fans who raved about him, if signed, I couldn’t see him playing higher than a 3rd line.

jenks33

It should help with recruitment. It’s not a huge surprise but I remember dave simms saying last summer that the “big 4” teams generally shop for the same players. For example Sheffield were keen on pelech and Sheffield and Belfast were keen on Marjamaki. If there’s a player that’s 50/50 about joining Cardiff or Sheffield then the CHL spot is a big carrot to dangle.

terry hunt

Sorry to put a damper on this but i am not over the moon.
I suspect that TK has been tucked up by the big 3.
We now have to recruit a team that can put up at least a token effort in the CHL.
So we will give everything against teams much better than us with absolutely no chance of doing better than a second round.
After being thrashed by Davos/Frolunda all the usual suspects who use us as preparation for the real games.
After this we will have a squad of knackered players who wont be interested in playing Blaze/Clan etc
While the Steelers will win the Continental Cup and have a good run at the other trophies with the Giants/Panthers close behind.
Will everyone be happy when the Devils struggle till after Xmas.?
I believe we should have had a season out of these Euro competitions to rebuild.
I see the CHL quickly accepted the Devils and why not hundreds of passionate fans filling hotels/bars putting energy into empty arenas.

jenks33

You certainly make some valid points. Like you I sometimes struggle with the CHL as it usually effects our league form. And when we’ve got a home game on a Thursday evening with 500+ empty seats I do struggle to get up for it.
Having said that I think with all the doom and gloom in the world at the moment and the EIHL season being cut short i see this as good news for the club. I’m sure Andrew Lord and the players will feel that all that hard work this season has at least resulted in something positive.

moggy#9

I feel this is absolutely brilliant news. Participation in the CHL has hugely raised our profile and being on the big stage again can only help attract bigger sponsors and better players. I'm sure that the contacts we make and the experience of seeing how things are done at the top level will only help improve the club. I'm really hoping for a trip to Berlin or Munich this time around. I suspect that some pot 2 and 3 teams might not want to see the devils drawn for their group from pot 4.

terry hunt

I dont want to single out players but player recruitment must be crucial.
Skill is nice to look at but our season is competitive and character means a lot to the club and the fans.
I suspect we wont see quite a few of our existing squad.