Devils Sign Sam Smith

Gaz G

Looking forward to seeing him play, will be interesting to see what level he is at after 3 years in the states playing at a level no doubt better than the junior levels over here.

Seems like a good signing, must be a talented prospect if he's spent the last 3 years playing in America. Look forward to seeing what he can do :)

Gaz G said:
Looking forward to seeing him play, will be interesting to see what level he is at after 3 years in the states playing at a level no doubt better than the junior levels over here.
If it wasn't for our junior developement he wouldn't have gotten where he is today and it takes the under 8's Developement team to bring the only silverware to the club this season !!! So lets hope these boys play as well as OUR Juniors !! :D

Koop11

Great to see another local lad playing the Devils. I look forward to seeing what he has to offer.

The team is shaping up nicely. This report confirms we have two import defence men to sign which for me is reassuring as I think we were looking a little weak at the back. Certainly we have some great puck movers but stone cold blue liners is where we’re lacking. No doubt one of these will be a Doug McIver style player who will help Brad out.

I feel that our success could be determined by who these last two defence men will be along with our number one centre man.

Gaz G

Puckaholic said:
Gaz G said:
If it wasn't for our junior developement he wouldn't have gotten where he is today and it takes the under 8's Developement team to bring the only silverware to the club this season !!! So lets hope these boys play as well as OUR Juniors !! :D
Wasn't having a pop at our junior development systems, just saying that by playing for 3 years in the states with arguably more ice time to train and play may well have made him into a better player than he would be if he had stayed here.

DevilDom

Koop11 said:
No doubt one of these will be a Doug McIver style player who will help Brad out.
I hope we are aiming a little higher than a Doug McIver type (or even Doug himself) player.

Don't get me wrong - Doug is a great guy and did a great job for us when he was here but it would be a step back (IMO) if we went for someone as slow as him again.

E

eatsleepdream,hockey

awesome player

saw him down the rink the other day very tall wwell built

sounds interesting

RTfarty

A very well rounded player who has size and speed, should do a very good job for the Devils when given the chance. Looking forward to seeing him play come September!

Excellent signing IMHO - it is not often we get a Brit that can combine speed and size - if he can adjust to the Elite League quickly then Sam could be a star for many years to come. Nice to see not only new Imports coming in, but also new Brits - really looking forward to seeing the how we fill the remaining 3 slots mind, but so far so good with the team. :)

ASHIPP

Well done again G, looks like a great little signing - a new Brit to the league, hungry, speedy, strong and look at the size on him! :D The North American experience will have really have fine tuned his skills. The 3rd line next season is going to be the strongest ever. :cool: Can't wait. Looking forward to seeing him play alongside Tylor and Stuart.

Welcome home, Sam.

HC42

Really pleased with the Sam Smith signing. With 3 years of competitive Hockey in North America he could be ready for the 3rd line pretty soon, plus at 6ft 3 and 220lbs, he is ideal for the 3rd line on this team at this time in his development.

I'm a big fan of Ben's too, but although I would be happy to have him back, part of me hopes that he gets some EPL experience now and comes back to us with much more Hockey under his belt, fighting for a spot on a top line in the future.
His disadvantage is that he is really a small highly skilled forward in the making, as such he is destined to play on the top 2 lines in the future I am sure, but he's not really the player to play a 3rd line role and move his way through the team, IMO he needs a different route and a lot more Hockey.

Puckaholic said:
Great news that Sam Smith is back here playing. I'm sure he will easily fit into an Elite side with his size and speed.

However, slightly off topic. Puckaholic is wrong about the U8s being the only silverware winners. The U16s team this year won their league unbeaten with 2 games still to play and earned automatic promotion into Division 1 whilst icing many new and developing players.

coach09 said:
Puckaholic said:
Great news that Sam Smith is back here playing. I'm sure he will easily fit into an Elite side with his size and speed.

However, slightly off topic. Puckaholic is wrong about the U8s being the only silverware winners. The U16s team this year won their league unbeaten with 2 games still to play and earned automatic promotion into Division 1 whilst icing many new and developing players.
Oops sorry about that coach, I totally forgot about that one, still think its wrong to be slating our developing juniors, nobody really has come out of the Juniors and gone on to become Devils have they :roll: And back on topic again, cant wait to see what three years in North America has done, been talking to his old coach and I've heard good things :D

I don't think they were having a go at the Devils, rather the opposition they face. In North America there is a greater availability of ice rinks/teams, meaning a higher standard of opponent!