Devils v Belfast Giants - Sat 7 Oct 2017 - League - FO 7pm - Chat/Updates

DevilDom

Is Pacha a player/coach at Dundee? What about Edinburgh?.
Frustratingly for Lordo, he is having to play because the team performs much better when he is in it......

What is happening with Matt Pope? Last news was that he might be ready to play last night. But obviously he wasn't.
Pacha is not playing this year and the Caps coach is 48 and although a very good player in his day is not playing either so yes I think Lord is the only player coach in the league this year.

I agree it is frustrating that he is generally one of our better players but there comes a time when we have to bite the bullet and let him coach without calling for him to play.

I’ve heard nothing about Pope, but that’s not unusual with how the organisation deals with injuries. He will be back when fit and ready, that’s all we need to know.

E.D.S.

I’m struggling to see where we go from here. I’ve held off posting until I had the chance to see a few games live and allow the team to settle but.....
It seems like we don’t know what kind of team we are.... we don’t have the big bodies so we aren’t physically imposing and we don’t seem to have the quick transition and quick skating to be a highly skilled team. We just seem to be decent at most things. Which means that when things are against us we don’t have anything to turn us around when we need it. As odd as this sounds... even at 3-0 up we never seemed to have total control. I’d like to think changes will be made in the coming weeks to get us back on track.
Fair play to the Giants.... good team to watch. Deserved their win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wannabe2

I’m struggling to see where we go from here. I’ve held off posting until I had the chance to see a few games live and allow the team to settle but.....
It seems like we don’t know what kind of team we are.... we don’t have the big bodies so we aren’t physically imposing and we don’t seem to have the quick transition and quick skating to be a highly skilled team. We just seem to be decent at most things. Which means that when things are against us we don’t have anything to turn us around when we need it. As odd as this sounds... even at 3-0 up we never seemed to have total control. I’d like to think changes will be made in the coming weeks to get us back on track.

We were never 3-0 up last night, unfortunately.

Earnie

I think the position of player/coach is too much of a load to take on your shoulders for this upgraded Elite League.
As others have pointed out I believe Lordo is the only one.
Maybe we need to look at a large presence skilled player addition. He may be hard to come by and probably expensive but we need something to stabilise the boat.

DevilDom

I agree with most of your post - we are neither one thing or the other at the moment, however I would put the reason behind that to playing in the CHL and the different style we have to play in that.

I think we have (with maybe 1 or 2 tweaks) the players to compete in all competitions again this year but some need to pull their fingers out and some need to adjust fully to the rough and tumble of some of the games at EIHL level.

People were giving it the big'n about player coaches last year and we brought home a shed load of silverware, so let's not keep going over that.

The way I see it we're no different to any other team in the league, everyone's been a bit hit and miss so far. Some have good nights, some have bad. Giants just came off a bad run, Steelers have had a wobbly start. We, like the Panthers, also have the added headache of fitting CHL in (nice problem to have I know). The next few weeks will be telling, we have the makings of an amazing team. I'd stick my neck out and say every player without exception has shown at least a glimpse of what they're capable of.

The real question is which team can steady the ship as we get into the meat of the season.

voth26

I’m still convinced it’s a coaching issue, other teams are coming at us with game plans, adjustments in game and we simply cannot react either quickly enough or effectively. It maybe that coaches can predict our game far better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The question is why isn't Jaimie adjusting our game plan quicker, he's Lordo's eyes on the bench. If I'm honest and no disrespect to Jamie but what does he actually do on the bench?? I see Lord coming off a shift and first thing he does is talk to the guys, I never see Jamie talking to the team,

E.D.S.

I agree with most of your post - we are neither one thing or the other at the moment, however I would put the reason behind that to playing in the CHL and the different style we have to play in that.

I think we have (with maybe 1 or 2 tweaks) the players to compete in all competitions again this year but some need to pull their fingers out and some need to adjust fully to the rough and tumble of some of the games at EIHL level.
Let’s hope so.
For me Lord is too valuable on the ice and has done remarkably well as a coach - even though I keep doubting him - I’m not a 100% sure we have the right balance in the team. I don’t think any amount of coaching or bench coaching can address that situation.

Finny

Congratulations to Belfast who are a talented and very hard working team, but that simply wasn't good enough from us.

Twice we did the hard work and established a two goal lead (and had v good chances to extend it further) but then we eased up and let Belfast get back in the game. To be honest once Belfast got it back to 3-2 i felt the best we'd get was OT as we just weren't doing the simple things right. I wonder if a couple of players think "well we beat CHL teams so we don't have to give 100% in the EIHL" because if you do that against a team like Belfast you're going to lose.

Will be interesting to see if Giants #10 gets a ban for his sucker punch on Lord, and whilst I like Keefe's passion he's going to need to tone it down else he'll get some suspensions. Stepping out onto the ice to abuse the referee really is out of order, especially when it was such an obvious penalty.

Finny

I’m still convinced it’s a coaching issue, other teams are coming at us with game plans, adjustments in game and we simply cannot react either quickly enough or effectively. It maybe that coaches can predict our game far better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Different username, same anti-Lord message.

I thought winning three trophies last season would have been enough to stop this nonsense but clearly not. But then seeing as you don't go to games Josh/Chillee/(forgotten previous username) it may have slipped your attention.

When we lose and Lord's on the bench it's "we need Lord on the ice"
When we lose and Lord's on the ice it's "we shouldn't have a player coach"

We lost last night because too many players didn't give 100% and made basic errors. The team need to learn/remember that just because they won two CHL games doesn't mean they can coast through EIHL games, even if they are a couple of goals up.

pjj365

In a recent interview Lordo suggested he was no !inter the best or fittest player and was no an automatic selection! This will no doubt work itself out as he, inevitably, moves to more time on the bench

As to Jamie - I agree he does not seem to do much but who knows what the dynamics are.

Yesterday though I thought Piggsy was more animated and he was the one who called the time out. Looks like he's finding his feet and that can only be good

E.D.S.

Congratulations to Belfast who are a talented and very hard working team, but that simply wasn't good enough from us.

Twice we did the hard work and established a two goal lead (and had v good chances to extend it further) but then we eased up and let Belfast get back in the game. To be honest once Belfast got it back to 3-2 i felt the best we'd get was OT as we just weren't doing the simple things right. I wonder if a couple of players think "well we beat CHL teams so we don't have to give 100% in the EIHL" because if you do that against a team like Belfast you're going to lose.

Will be interesting to see if Giants #10 gets a ban for his sucker punch on Lord, and whilst I like Keefe's passion he's going to need to tone it down else he'll get some suspensions. Stepping out onto the ice to abuse the referee really is out of order, especially when it was such an obvious penalty.
The linesman pointed that out (stepping on to the ice) to the ref and he took no action against Keefe. He let it go. He had a bad game on both sides last night but you can’t let blatant penalties like that go unpunished, that’s when you lose control.

E.D.S.

The linesman pointed that out (stepping on to the ice) to the ref and he took no action against Keefe. He let it go. He had a bad game on both sides last night but you can’t let blatant penalties like that go unpunished, that’s when you lose control.

jenks33

Agree with this post. Obviously we’re far from a poor team but we just look like a decent team this year, nothing more than that. Hopefully I’ll eat my words but I can see this season being similar to a couple of seasons ago when salters and Kurka were here. We’ll win plenty of games because of the talent on our roster but I’m concerned we might fall short when it really matters. Still early days tho so we’ll see

Johnnybravo1927

Personally I think Lord is a tremendous player but coaching will always be easier when you on the sidelines. Pope was signed as a power forward and I reckon the Lord is only playing till Pope comes back from injury. We are a very Jekyll and hyde team at the moment but I think the swuad is good enough its just not performing reguarly. I dont think we need to change any players as its the core squad of last season who didnt do too badly did they! We do miss Brine and Scott Hotham but they have been replaced and the replacements are good players. My concern is we have no agitator who can cause commotion, belfast had a whole team of them last night and thats how they won.

Hedd Wyn John

I can't quite place my finger on it but something seemed a bit off with the Devils, whether they were a touch slower, or slightly less accurate than normal I don't know but they didn't seem themselves. Even when they were 3-1 up they never looked comfortable. That missed opportunity to 4-1 up was a turning point for me. Thereafter Belfast upped their game after shipping their 3rd, particularly their defence & the Devils seemed to struggle from there. Belfast had a never say die attitude & hats off to them for their tenacity & commitment. Devils need to take note of that because at some point in the season we're gonna need it. If the Devils can bring how they played against the Lakers to the table then I'm confident we'll be in for a good season.

bb1

In recent loses such as a way to Guilford we did miss Lordo and the energy he can create. However on reflection the league is getting so much better and maybe it will be to our detriment that we have a player coach.

If Lordo wants to go to bench then a guy is needed that will fill his boots I.e. fight, hit, hard working 2 way. Also someone who can take the weight of Faryna shoulders.

We just have zero intimidation factor anymore. Our only 2 hitting D mem are Fournier and Reddick and Moore up top! We obviously don't require an intimidation factor in the CHL but in EIHL we do.

We've been beaten by 2 big hard hitting tough teams lately in Storm and giants.......

Good away performance by the giants although I feel a few big hits and controlled aggression by us it maybe would of been a different result in favour to us. Can't fault batch or justin but I've said it before I feel we do miss bordy even if he was in some people's opinion over paid and disappointing. Any thoughts on drew paris? Such a big guy but nothing in my eyes