Devils v Steelers - 03/03 - 7:30pm - Chat/Updates

Chris

Administrator
Thread starter #1
Hey hey,

We'll *hopefully* be running Match Night Live! for this game from the usual location of http://www.the-inferno.co.uk/mnl

Both teams at full strength I think and Sgrois first visit to the Big Blue Tent, although it's unlikely Matsos will let him off the leash...

Chris.

If it's a tied game with less than a minute left I wonder if Voth will try and fight Sgroi so he doesn't score the game winner...:twisted:

No Dagenais tonight. Your knees are safe.

Prediction: I'll be in no fit state to know what's going on tonight. :D

ASHIPP

Wow - sign Zion to the Devils NOW! :eek: If G is reading this and the Devils might be losing any of our fantastic import Dmen (really hope not, but they will have finished their studies in Cardiff), Zion looks like a great all rounder. Saw him on Sky against Hull last week - by far and away the best player on the ice fullstop. In the 1 to 1 battles, he won virtually every puck, cleared the puck quickly, great positioning, completely controlled the pp and can score (especially penalty shots).

wildthing74

Think Sheffield due a win against us at home after us taking the last 3.Hope i'm wrong as should be beating 6th placed teams at home.Still can't believe that they are looking like being a top 6 team at best this season..

Mark666

I'm expecting a big show to make amends from Sunday night. I've read Taylor is cut up about his intercepted pass so he should be more determined than usual to perform. Which will be worth a watch as he's generally on top form at the mo. The potential for Voth-Sgroi drama is ever present. And Miller need to keep his momentum going.
I think they'll be looking to score lots of goals in preparation for attempting to win by 3 or more goals on tue. They need to work on a high scoring rate and converting PPs.

Can't wait! :D

I don't expect much of a turn-out crowd wise tho, as the game clashes with the legend that is Peter Andre playing in town. :lol:

jimmy snels

think this will be a tight devils win, if we get the 2 points i really can see us putting the pressure on nottingham and belfast to knick one of the top 3 positions.

on a player note i hope tylor carries on with more of the same hits/scores, vother picks up the momentum and miller keeps on scoring/killing goalies/annoying the hell out of the opposition. on a side note i hate to rag on players but miller is particularly poor at fishing.......useless in fact, heard he cant tie a knot........

James

Administrator
jimmy snels said:
on a side note i hate to rag on players but miller is particularly poor at fishing.......useless in fact, heard he cant tie a knot........
I've heard he couldn't catch a cold. Good job he can play hockey really.

DevilDom

I wouldn't expect to see anything between Voth and Sgori because if they did fight then Voth would probably end up banned for the 2nd leg of the CC, no matter what actually happened.

James said:
jimmy snels said:
on a side note i hate to rag on players but miller is particularly poor at fishing.......useless in fact, heard he cant tie a knot........
I've heard he couldn't catch a cold. Good job he can play hockey really.

more like the cold couldn catch him, hes like lightning, one of our best playmakers, and one of our top players in my books

Holl_5 said:
If it's a tied game with less than a minute left I wonder if Voth will try and fight Sgroi so he doesn't score the game winner...:twisted:
and voth would do that because? voth unlike other fighters knows when its a good time to fight, he wouldnt do a stupid thing like that.

A

Anonymous

Holl_5 said:
Tied with a minute left? Jokint aint ya!? :D

A

Anonymous

Just an idea but wouldnt it be better in many aspects for Symmonds, Davies etc to get ice time when we have games won? Symmonds makes an error tonight which makes it 3:3, fair enough he's a young lad and is inexperienced, but this will surely dent the lads confidence. If we were 3, 4 up and he makes an error its not so bad. Its awesome seeing young British players coming through, I just think they should be used more wisely perhaps? :?

awful defense performance im am slightly worried about our defense and even more with our clueless coach,how many more time's do we shoot ourself in foot by scoring then our defense goes a.w.o.l for a quick counter reply.Got say only shining light was top performance by our 1st line of smith,max,davies they played really well as unit.Sheffiled could comeback and haunt us in playoffs. :eek:

b.goldberg said:
awful defense performance im am slightly worried about our defense and even more with our clueless coach,how many more time's do we shoot ourself in foot by scoring then our defense goes a.w.o.l for a quick counter reply.Got say only shining light was top performance by our 1st line of smith,max,davies they played really well as unit.Sheffiled could comeback and haunt us in playoffs. :eek:
You really have a problem with G dont you !!! just looked back over all your previous posts and they are all very critical when we lose (nothing when we win)

dmd said:
Chris said:
*sigh*

Looks like that good form was too good to last :cry:

Chris.
Well we may have lost that one but i thoroughly enjoyed the game.

That was probably one of the worst games I have seen this season at the tent a very poor Devils performance to get beaten by one of the poorest Steelers teams in years

I would say the defense on whole is performing well they just need to sort out what the hell is going on when we score, seems to happen a lot these days.
I didn't think the game was greatly entertaining and shannon said himself it was a pretty boring game at the end. The crowds these days seem to be so quiet, don't know whats going on, nice to be entertained by the block 2 lads though :).
I think there are quite a few positives from tonights game, the 1st line being the main one who were on superb form tonight, max had some good hits and smith out classed the sheffield players constantly tonight.
Tonight should have been a winner for us though and thats really hurt us in our fight for 3rd spot, to be honest at this stage i'm not to hopefully of us winning anything this season but hopefully the team will prove me wrong and show what they can do when they put their minds to it in the 2nd leg of CC and the playoffs.

Finny

This is probably going to make no sense and contradict itself all over the place but...

A crap result to end a crap day, and yet it was an entertaining game that I sort of enjoyed. At least until the final 5 minutes.

Devils were by far the better side going forward and pinned the Steelers into their own zone for very long spells. And yet they didn't get enough quality shots away and I can't remember Verner actually making a good save all game.

Steelers on the other hand were awful for most of the game, and yet it was Lyle who was having to make all the big saves.
The Devils defence was shocking tonight. Jarvis had his worst ever game for us - I can only assume he has flu or something. Symonds had a nightmare whilst Hartwick, Richardson and Romfo were all inconsistent.

First period was all Devils, but without creating any good shooting chances. Then we get a powerplay and we are awful and Lyle has to make 2 good saves. Once we are back to 5-on-5 and we are all over the Steelers again. We end the period on the powerplay and once again we are thanking Lyle for keeping it 0-0.

Second period and the Devils finally find the back of the net. Romfo finding Birbraer with a pass out of the zone, and he skated in on net before beating Verner low down.
Devils 1-0 Steelers.

Shortly after, Symonds took a daft holding penalty, and after a bit of a scramble infront of the net Sgroi finally knocked it in.
Devils 1-1 Steelers

Devils retook the lead 2 minutes later, a lovely inter-passing move saw Birbraer and Davies confuse the Steelers, allowing Max to drop a pass out to Smith who fired it into the net before Verner even knew where the puck was.
Devils 2-1 Steelers

And yet once again the Devils fell asleep. The puck was lost behind the Devils net, Dowd setup Sgroi infront of the net only for Lyle to make the save. The rebound fell to Hubbauer whose shot was again pad saved by Lyle, but this time he scored with the rebound.
Devils 2-2 Steelers

Every time the Devils took the lead, the Steelers would suddenly up their game and get an equaliser, but as soon as they did they would go rubbish again.

5 minutes later and after Miller fed Finnerty he fired another unstoppable shot past Verner into the far corner.
Devils 3-2 Steelers

But once again the lead lasted barely two minutes, and once again the Devils defence cleared neither the puck nor body, allowing Hubbauer several chances before finally scoring on another rebound.
Devils 3-3 Steelers

Into the third period, and after Michel went on a skate from his own zone his shot was dropped by Verner and it trickled over the line.
Devils 4-3 Steelers

For once the Devils remembered to defend and held onto their lead for 10 minutes. With just 5 minutes remaining the Steelers got a powerplay chance, and yet again the Devils failed to deal with rebound after rebound, Legue eventually firing through a crowd of players (though there was a hint of a Steelers player in the crease behind Lyle).
Devils 4-4 Steelers

Ah well. Overtime here we come.. unless the Devils can score another. Except those damn Steelers played a nasty trick on us by actually TRYING TO SCORE straight after the goal - instead of defending and being rubbish.
And it worked. Puck is passed from behind Lyle's net to Talbot who roofs it into the net from close range. 12 seconds after the equaliser and about 2 minutes after the lads in block 2 chanted "Talbot is rubbish".
Devils 4-5 Steelers

Devils looked for the equaliser but only succeeded in giving away 2 stupid penalties. 50 seconds to go - Steelers have a 5-on-3 powerplay. Incredibly, Michel wins the puck, skates past all of the Steelers player and nearly beats Verner through his five-hole.
He just manages to stop it though, Sheffield regain the puck and kill off the remaining seconds without any further incident.

As I said at the start, really wierd game. For 2 periods Mark Smith was back to his brilliant best, and Sheffield just couldn't get near him and Birbraer. Both players faded in the third, but our dominance really should have seen the game all over by the end of the second period.
However, when your defence doesn't take the body and forgets to clear the puck - you aren't going to win games. And we didn't.