Devils v Steelers

august04

I loved that game tonight.. This is the type of Devils performance I love seeing. Plenty of grit, refused to be knocked off the rink by a solid Steelers team. I thought Pope did a great job on return from injury, Bownsy found his mojo again, Riley is showing why we wanted him. Fourns was magnificent, there were good shifts right through the team.
I must have missed the Pope injury announcement, I assumed he was a healthy scratch while Sointu was still around? I don’t recall seeing him that often on the ice tonight either but then again, there were so many special teams assignments in the first two periods - I remember one big hit that he made though. I think too much criticism of Jardine is a little unfair tonight. I came away thinking it was one of his better and certainly more involved games.

pjj365

Proper Hockey returns to Cardiff - at last ! ..... Enjoyed that one, although I think Steelers will be a different proposition with Vallerand and Davies back - even tonight they outshot us 45-22 !

Good to see Todd cranking the atmosphere up a bit when the gloves were dropped with some appropriate music.

Hate to say it, but Dowd is a fantastic player.
Credit where it's due - the music is down to Sully

Good 2 periods last night, the 3rd was a strange one for me, even though we were only 1 goal up we seemed to just leave them to have the puck and just defend, it's seemed to work because in that period it was like the steelers ran out of ideas and I didn't really feel like they were a threat, I'm not sure if quite a few others felt that way too but it seemed to suck the atmosphere out of the building too.

Also what is it the steelers teams, they fall down so easily, it must be day 1 of training camp and I'm getting fed up of seeing us being called for reactionary things, I'd like to see us (especially against the Giants, Panthers and steelers) be more pro-actively physical (in home games at least) for a change and frustrate them instead of us always having to react and being called for it

Mazzoak

It’s the response we needed, Great would be pushing those tinted glasses to their limit. Without Four star pushing a hat Rick we’d have had an average effort, again. A full strength Steelers team, yeah, beating that is gonna need a lot more than we put in tonight.
Fully entertaining game though, Squeelers leaving empty handed is always a pleasure.

voth26

Really enjoyed the game last night, great to see us being physical again. Louis was clearly up for anything, batch landed a few big hits. Jardine was clearly frustrated with hogarths calls on him and rightly so I think, the sooner someone no choices connelly and batters him the better. So fed up of watching squeelers question every decision, or delay the game by sending the wrong player to the bin if it was me I'd give them 2 min delay game every time they did it. Funny how they have a new coach and players but their still a dirty side???

Slartibartfast

Much better performance.So many areas that have improved.
This was the opposite of previous games. Normally we dominate the play and shots but cant score. This time Steelers dominated and outshot us but we had no problem scoring.

You can also see trust between players. In the D we focused on the body because we trusted someone else to pick up the puck and they did. Also great to see McMongale taking the body more. Reddicks taking the body that led to Masis goal was a perfect example of how the Devils need to play.

We have also stopped trying to get that perfect goal and are throwing the puck on net much more.
The D continue to pinch in a lot but the forwards are now covering them.

Fournier was amazing as usual and all the lines seem to be clicking. Very few stray passes.

Lordo has obviously had the team working hard on addressing all the recent issues. Although I feel the best is yet to come Im feeling a lot more positive after this game.

As for the Steelers they were exactly what I expected. Very offensive team. Their D was a bit stronger than I expected though. With Vallerand back they will be the team to beat unless Belfast sort themselves out.

Wannabe2

Thread starter #90
Miles better entertainment. give me a Steelers home game over 10 chl games any day
Amen to that, for me that was the best game so far this season, left the Arena well pleased, every time the lads hit it lifted the crowd just like scoring a goal. We have players that can play physical when needed, and it’s a joy when they do. Steelers fans may have lost the game, but they watched a darn good match. It’s a shame that games that exciting are few and far between because these games are what makes this sport so special. Same again tonight please lads.

august04

Just watching the highlights - can’t believe the co-commentator suggesting Louis shouldn’t have got involved in the skirmishes in front of the net. No mate, we’ve been crying out for someone to stamp their authority in our own barn, and Louis did just that last night. Long may it continue.

Wannabe2

Thread starter #93
There’s only one decent webcast comme
Just watching the highlights - can’t believe the co-commentator suggesting Louis shouldn’t have got involved in the skirmishes in front of the net. No mate, we’ve been crying out for someone to stamp their authority in our own barn, and Louis did just that last night. Long may it continue.
Totally agree, what a silly statement to make, as you say we have been waiting a while now for someone to show us the passion and guts to stand up for your team mates, and when someone does he gets stick. Just listen to the crowds reaction they say it all really 3,000 for 1 against. More of the same please.

jenks33

I liked Lordo’s post match interview. I’m glad he didn’t try and dress it up as a great performance. By saying he was happy with our effort/character but we aren’t playing great at the moment is a fair assessment.
I think we will be a different animal the next time Sheffield come to town. Because of injuries /lack of confidence we aren’t seeing the best of Mcmonagle, Jardine, Mcnamee, Riley, Pope, Linglet at the moment. I’d also throw Martin and Fournier into that mix. Both played well last night but I think it’s fair to say that both haven’t been at their best of late.

Much improved from last couple of weeks. There is just one thing I wish our team would do particularly Benti - when they have the puck in the low slot they are spending so long looking for the pass without even looking to turn in on goal and snap a shot off when channel is clear. Joey Martin was the only one doing it last night and it almost came off a few times