Devils Vs Blaze - 01 Jan 20 - League (4 FO)

James

Administrator
Thread starter #1
As we finish the year so we start it. Devils face off against the Blaze for a return match up at the Viola.

jenks33

Very tough watch. The one thing I would say is the schedule has been tough lately so you would hope that this was down to tiredness rather than our poor form returning. Having said that i don’t think we attempted anything to change the momentum of the game, which was very disappointing.
This is more of a general question but how do we feel about Bowns at the moment? This might be an unpopular opinion but he’s not coming up big enough for me at the moment. I’m not basing this on tonight’s game as he was far from the issue tonight but in general he’s not making enough big saves for my liking. Apart from the 1-0 CC victory in Belfast a few weeks ago I couldn’t tell you the last time I thought bownsy really looked like his old self. Probably for GB last summer

Gospel

The guys looked beat today, no energy & always way way behind the pace. Blaze looked far fresher for some reason. We tried to up the pace but it never happened. We were unable to lift the crowd with a big hit or anything come to that. Poor game. Lets hope its a one off and we’re not falling back into bad habits again.

jenks33

we absolutely stunk the place out. awful performance in front of a sell out crowd. i left early to beat the traffic .... but so did about 1000 others
I think that’s what will annoy kelman more than anything. Big New Year’s Day sell out and we produce that. I can understand the tiredness but you’d like to think we would have played with a bit more energy given the crowd

Wannabe2

You sure did, we absolutely sucked tonight, we could still be playing now and not score, last week v Guildford was a pure joy to watch, tonight was worse than watching Coronation Street series after series.

moggy#9

I am honestly struggling to articulate how bad that was. All credit to blaze, they came with a game plan and executed it perfectly. Their goalie left nothing for the devils to pick up either. That said, I just can't understand why, when a strategy fails for two periods, we persist with it for the 3rd. Dumping the puck or chipping it in, when you can't win battles on the boards and can't get anyone in shooting areas isn't going to do you any good. Very few players came out with any credit (Dixon gave everything once again). What happened to the physicality of a few games back from the rest of the team? If at least checks were being finished, Coventry would have been looking over their shoulders. As it was, they had nothing to worry about. Devils had the look of a bunch of guys who just couldn't be bothered tonight.

hip check

Very tough watch. The one thing I would say is the schedule has been tough lately so you would hope that this was down to tiredness rather than our poor form returning. Having said that i don’t think we attempted anything to change the momentum of the game, which was very disappointing.
This is more of a general question but how do we feel about Bowns at the moment? This might be an unpopular opinion but he’s not coming up big enough for me at the moment. I’m not basing this on tonight’s game as he was far from the issue tonight but in general he’s not making enough big saves for my liking. Apart from the 1-0 CC victory in Belfast a few weeks ago I couldn’t tell you the last time I thought bownsy really looked like his old self. Probably for GB last summer
Was thinking the same.. ref Bownsey regarding recent performances.

moggy#9

Was thinking the same.. ref Bownsey regarding recent performances.
I don't think it's realistic for bownsy to play an 80 game season and be on top form for every one. This is the problem with having a backup that we don't seem prepared to play except in dead rubbers, or abject emergencies.

Last edited:

august04

We keep hearing that Bowns likes to be busy. Well, I for one hope that next year, we have two potential starting goaltenders (including Bowns). We may lose an import slot but there’s enough of them for that not to hurt too much. When he’s on his game, there’s no-one better in this league than Bowns but you can usually tell early doors in games, whether that’s the case or if he’s struggling. We have no alternative as we’re reluctant to use the current back-ups when Bowns is clearly not at the races. It’s hard to win in those circumstances given the quality of opposition now.