Devils Vs Blaze - 3 Nov - League

august04

Thread starter #1
Very disappointing game tonight. It’s easy to criticise the officiating but that was as bad as it gets, must be so frustrating to be on the end of some of those calls. Mind you, the Devils were awful too, so not totally the fault of the officials. Big game tomorrow, we need to get the win in Nottingham somehow.

CaldicotDevil

We didn’t play terrible just couldn’t build on anything with our penalty count. Thought the newbie line was class, Dixon especially. Worked his socks off, created chances and finished his checks. Not sure why Lordo swapped Louis & Richie for the 3rd period when it was the Reddick-Blood line that was struggling.

jimmy snels

i thought the dixon line played well tonight, but i also thought some of our guys played as if they were in for an easy night. easy to pull the usual names but for me haddad in particular in our forwards barely passed to a team mate all night. thought blood and reddick were really poor on D. Bowns has continued to look weaker than previous seasons imo. BUT!!!!!! THAT that officiating was terrible. absolutely abysmal.

on a side note if im richie taking those two whacks tonight im thinking "where are my mates lads?".

osh

Very disappointing performance tonight. Too many players simply not doing their jobs. One of the poorer defensive displays I’ve seen in a long time. In my opinion, Lord got plenty of decisions wrong tonight and our players became frustrated and ill disciplined as the game progressed and we got punished for it. Blaze deserved the win no doubt and credit to the back up net minder for doing so well, hope their starting nettie is not too badly injured, it looked like his own player caught him in the head with his knee. Dixon was immense for us while many of his team mates went missing when needed. I still believe we need to bring in a decent defensive D man.

august04

Thread starter #6
I thought we were defensively shocking at times - goals 3, 4 and 6 were appalling. Bowns was exposed high on his glove side for two of those and we gave yet another breakaway for goal 6. It was the same defensive pairing for all three of those and they give up too many goals/breakaways quite frankly. Blood/Reddick’s plus/minus for this season must be interesting. Let’s be honest, we were up against a decent but limited Blaze team, with their young back up goalie in for most of the game - we just weren’t at the races not helped by the officiating, which was bizarre at times. I have to say, I’m baffled by the limited ice time that Myers is getting on that fourth line, he’s totally wasted playing the odd shift here and there (if he’s lucky!). We’re not the same team without him icing regularly, we lose his face-off prowess, work rate, ability on the boards etc etc. Please get him playing on that 3rd line again! I’ve completely changed my mind this past week about signing a replacement for Parisi. I hope we find someone sooner rather than later - either the stud D man that Parisi was supposed to be or the meanest, toughest SOB power forward that we can find.

Last edited:

Hedd Wyn John

Hmm what to say. Yes the officiating was really really poor at times. An obvious trip on Blood was missed leading to a goal, then a blatant boarding later on to name just a few of obvious infringements. Having said that Blaze thoroughly deserved the win. Their D was a lot stronger & they were able to force several odd man rushes, coupled with clinical shooting that finished the Devils off. I also got the impression that the Devils at times were trying to skate the puck into the net but Blaze were good at closing off shooting lanes. Discipline also needs some work, mouthing off at officials isn’t big, isn’t clever & doesn’t help your chances when you’re in the penalty box. Huuge game vs Panthers tomorrow. Need to move on from this with a win.

Reddick got 1+1 tonight. I hope he struggles like this for the rest of the season.....
Reddick could block 10 shots and score a hat trick, and he wouldn't get much respect from certain posters on here.
Another 6 minutes of penalties for Blood, but that doesn't matter, as he's a much better D man than Reddick, apparently.

CaldicotDevil

Reddick got 1+1 tonight. I hope he struggles like this for the rest of the season.....
Reddick had a bad day at the office, like many other players but he certainly wasn’t the reason we lost. His play and assist leading up to 4th goal was sublime. I’m not his biggest fan but it is harsh that he seems to be the token scapegoat on this forum when things don’t go our way.

Hedd Wyn John

3x Abuse of official penalties tonight. Needless penalties those, when you’re chasing the game - mouthing at the ref ain’t helping you when it leads to time in the box.

august04

Thread starter #12
Reddick could block 10 shots and score a hat trick, and he wouldn't get much respect from certain posters on here.
Another 6 minutes of penalties for Blood, but that doesn't matter, as he's a much better D man than Reddick, apparently.
Most posts so far have criticised the Blood/Reddick pairing, not just one player or the other. For me, they give up too many goals/breakaways. Maybe it’s time to look at changing them up as they seem to give up way more goals than any other D pairing that we have. Reddick obviously has offensive upside to his game but needs to be partnered with our best, most consistent, defensive D man. I’m just not sure Blood is that kind of player. In fairness to the guy, Reddick turned his game around last year when Strachan came in. For me, perhaps Richie is our best option and defensively strong enough to repeat what Strachan did?

Last edited:
Lordo won't be happy. Officiating ' is what it is', how many times have we heard him use that expression over the years ?( not about officiating I might add, just in general ). Never seen him so angry on the bench, we cannot let it get to us to the extent that it did tonight. He will get that message very strongly across. We move on and tomorrow we show what we are made of.

Rob Batch

What an exciting game, Blaze played a great road game and hats off to them. After they tired in the 3rd Weds I thought we would over-run them in the 3rd tonight. We got away from our game and became 'desperado's'. Very enjoyable to watch though rather frustrating. Dixon was my MOM and Josh wasn't far behind. This result helps to crank-up the excitement of the League generally.

jimmy snels

did you watch the game this time? he along with his partner blood were awful and the plus minus was -2 reddick i believe!? i hope he doesnt struggle like this. not about one man though. blood was just as bad.

Earnie

Officiating tonight certainly was'what it is'. It was a disgraceful display by Rose and Darnell. Frustration cost us. Even Lord will have trouble keeping a civil tongue as to how this game was conducted.

august04

Thread starter #17
Officiating tonight certainly was'what it is'. It was a disgraceful display by Rose and Darnell. Frustration cost us. Even Lord will have trouble keeping a civil tongue as to how this game was conducted.
I still can’t believe how they didn’t call a penalty at the end of the second period with that hit from behind on the boards. I also can’t believe that nobody from our team sorted that guy out there and then. If the ref isn’t protecting players by calling stuff like that, then sometimes you have to take matters into your own hands. We lost the game anyway, a statement should have been made there and then, that this is not going to be tolerated. A couple of our guys had a ‘quiet word’ with the perpetrator, what good did that do?

Said it before and I’ll say it again, those singling out players need to remember it’s a team game. At times all players will have bad games or moments. Sad to note again that some on here only comment when the team loses. Bowns may want some back tonight, but by all accounts was instrumental in the win on Wednesday and the highlights would seem to back that up. Reddick may have made a mistake but his pass for the goal was sublime. The D may not have been at the races at times tonight but bloody hell 7 penalty kills from 9, 2 of which were 3 on 5 means they must have done something right.
Offensively Devils struggled against a back up net minder but on any other given night would probably have scored a bucket load.
Tactics could be questioned, in the 3 games Devils have been beaten, the other team has nullified the offensive tactics, therefore you have to change and it didn’t happen today. However, in the other games Devils won you would have to say tactically it was spot on.
No matter what the thoughts on officials are lack of discipline was a key factor tonight and Bowns and Reddick weren’t the ones taking penalties.
But the team has won more than they have lost, GF and GA, PP & PK are all up there. Every team will lose games. FACT. The key thing is that the team bounces back.
Win as a team, lose as a team.

When i said 'what it is'. I meant somtimes it is awful and there is nothing we can do about it. We have to keep our discipline and yes Lordo will make his feelings known to the team, but I'm sure will remaim the ultimate professional in public as he always is. So we move on to tomorrow and a chance to get back on track. Earlier someone mentioned the possibility of a web cast, anyone heard any news on this front?

rolf

did you watch the game this time? he along with his partner blood were awful and the plus minus was -2 reddick i believe!? i hope he doesnt struggle like this. not about one man though. blood was just as bad.
yup I did and I do not believe he and blood cost us this game but just my opinion