Devils Vs Blaze - CC - 9th / 10th Oct 2021

Hockeymad

It should have been sorted a while back.

Top 8 teams this season qualify for cc next year.

Best of 3 series.
1 v 8
2 v 7
3 v 6
4 v 5

Semis then again best of 3

Final one of game in Cardiff Sheffield or Nottingham

august04 2.0

All teams should be in the Challenge Cup, but if it is to survive, it’s a competition that needs a complete re-vamp. It takes fans for mugs and more fool us for accepting it. Lop sided groups and eliminating just 1 team after all those group games is absolutely ridiculous. In a “normal“ year, I’d have two groups of 5 and the top 2 in each group play in the semi finals. People might moan about meaningless games if you cant qualify for the semi finals but at least you’d have teams fighting for that top 2 place, rather than just the procession of nonsense games that we have now.

Hedd Wyn John

All teams should be in the Challenge Cup, but if it is to survive, it’s a competition that needs a complete re-vamp. It takes fans for mugs and more fool us for accepting it. Lop sided groups and eliminating just 1 team after all those group games is absolutely ridiculous. In a “normal“ year, I’d have two groups of 5 and the top 2 in each group play in the semi finals. People might moan about meaningless games if you cant qualify for the semi finals but at least you’d have teams fighting for that top 2 place, rather than just the procession of nonsense games that we have now.
I quite agree. Where's the excitement, the atmosphere the compete, when the game is meaningless? The best games are always the ones when there's something on the line, without that you lose the soul of the game.

Mazzoak

As horrid as this to suggest, given the win on Saturday i hope they completely switched off Sunday knowing we have Lukko on Wednesday & 2x league games this coming weekend against Belfast & Nottingham.

The league is in dire need of a major revamp with it's format, starting with POFW becoming the CC finals weekend & then an actual playoff format March/April to decide an overall winner.

From what I can tell, there are 36 games of hockey to be played in the cup just for 1 team to be eliminated & we go to a final 8, that is absolutely ludicrous & given Fife have played 5/8 games, and have 0 points, it's basically mathematically impossible for us to be eliminated already (We've played 4/8 games, 6 points) so the final 4 cup games for the Devils in the group stages I've no issue with losing every one if it means we can keep players fresher. & win the league games that surround the CC games.
Which is why l choose the alternative this weekend, it‘s not worth being bent over for just on the off chance of an exciting game, I’d rather miss one blinder and a lot of bore fests.......