Devils Vs Flyers - League - 16th Jan 22

Devil94

I've just watched the highlights. My goodness, coughler's finish was incredible and Brandt is going to be incredibly popular. What amazing signings.
Coughler has proven what he can do, too early to say on Brandt yet but as you say, looks like he's a player that Devils fans will enjoy. Even more impressive signings I think as they're not proven with good numbers elsewhere. Must be contacts with good references that sometimes can mean more than a CV.

Last edited:

E.D.S.

Dixon deserves a lot of credit too. Some good finishes. His face off wins are crucial.

Let's not forget this win is off the back of a mentally and physically draining game against the Giants with travel involved too. Always going to be difficult to get up for this game. It's a decent victory for us that shouldn't be down played just because it was against Fife. Well done folks.

E.D.S.

I've just watched the highlights. My goodness, coughler's finish was incredible and Brandt is going to be incredibly popular. What amazing signings.
Yeah I've just watched them for the first time as well. Those hits from Brandt are ridiculous. We've missed that physicality. That bit of something that keeps their D on their toes rather than the relatively easy time some teams have had this year. He has very little regard for his own body. At the moment he feels more like a replacement for McNally than Lammon, in terms of how Brandt is playing.

matbur

This is what I was going to post last night but didn’t bother as I couldn’t be arsed with any backlash:
Unpopular opinion-If Brodie Reid isn’t scoring goals he doesn’t offer a great deal.
There, I’ve said it….
Fortunately it’s something that at one point it felt like he was the only one doing but they have dried up recently and to me it shows up more.
Yeah, not the most outrageous statement I've read here and I see your point. What I would say though, it's the EIHL - if other aspects of his game were as rounded and as developed as his sniping ability, he wouldn't be playing at this level.

I'm really liking the depth we have through the team at centre. Coughler and Brandt can really push us on now.

Mazzoak

A talented Coach can bring in players that aren’t “stars”, doesn’t need player recommendations from a little black book of friends, can develop, can strategise, can make a competitive difference & impact on a team. The current situation is looking better for Skalde & the Devils. In another league, in another country now the friends have gone there’s a coach with young talent who can barely buy a win..........

Wannabe2

Jesus now we’re having a dig at Reid, most goal scorers go thru a drought at sometime, if they didn’t they would be 50/60 goal scorers, but unfortunately for them there humans and not machines. If we are sharing our scoring around then that’s the strongest we can be, relying on one person is okay until that guy gets injured or his form dips , that’s where balance comes in. This team has Dixon, Cox, Sanford, Coughler, McNally, Register, and Reid, if these guys were more rounded we would never have heard of them as they certainly wouldn’t be plying their trade in the UK. This team is getting stronger each week, it’s been a shit year, let’s enjoy the rest of the ride the season won’t last forever.

ASHIPP

The fan base is never happy! Now we have goal scoring and assists from every line (which is fantastic to see) there is concern that our top goal scorer is going through a bit of a drought! Even the GOAT had a few games like that, I recall.
Should imagine Brodie is breathing a sigh of relief that the pressure isn't all on him to produce something every game. The Guy has worked his socks off offensively this season, give him a break FGS.

E.D.S.

Jesus now we’re having a dig at Reid, most goal scorers go thru a drought at sometime, if they didn’t they would be 50/60 goal scorers, but unfortunately for them there humans and not machines. If we are sharing our scoring around then that’s the strongest we can be, relying on one person is okay until that guy gets injured or his form dips , that’s where balance comes in. This team has Dixon, Cox, Sanford, Coughler, McNally, Register, and Reid, if these guys were more rounded we would never have heard of them as they certainly wouldn’t be plying their trade in the UK. This team is getting stronger each week, it’s been a shit year, let’s enjoy the rest of the ride the season won’t last forever.
Nobody is having a dig at Reid. It's ok to express an opinion. I don't see one ounce wrong it what any one has written. Fridayfingers just commented that if Reid isn't banging them in then some aspects of his game could be questioned. I see players skating past him when he's on the back check as he isn't the quickest but point to him being a "bloody good sharp shooter". It's a fact. I see it. Not moaning about it. Just pointing it out. I totally get why Fridayfingers was reluctant to post it now.

Register isn't the quickest but has superb hands, composure and a reading of the game from a D man that I've not seen since Hotham. Others may disagree. I totally get that these guys won't be world class in every aspect but its ok to point it out. No one dies.

But I'm 100% with you on enjoying the rest of the season.

voth26

Nobody is having a dig at Reid. It's ok to express an opinion. I don't see one ounce wrong it what any one has written. Fridayfingers just commented that if Reid isn't banging them in then some aspects of his game could be questioned. I see players skating past him when he's on the back check as he isn't the quickest but point to him being a "bloody good sharp shooter". It's a fact. I see it. Not moaning about it. Just pointing it out. I totally get why Fridayfingers was reluctant to post it now.

Register isn't the quickest but has superb hands, composure and a reading of the game from a D man that I've not seen since Hotham. Others may disagree. I totally get that these guys won't be world class in every aspect but its ok to point it out. No one dies.

But I'm 100% with you on enjoying the rest of the season.
Im with you on Register, he knows he's not the quickest so he's worked on the parts he's good at, very rarely loses a board battle. Reminds me a bit like Strachan both calm on the play with good hands

matbur

Nobody is having a dig at Reid. It's an observation of his game and I think you've taken it the wrong way. Goalscorers are priceless and at this level he's a high end goalscorer.

(Posted this before reading EDS' similar post )

E.D.S and matbur, thanks for having my back on this and replying to wannabe and Ashipp in a better way than I could have.
To actually read what I wrote and come to the conclusions that they did is ridiculous, although expected from wannabe. Ashipp, you normally talk a bit more sense tho!!
wannabe you wanted half the team sacked (maybe 6/7) around a month ago. You may even have wanted the coach gone.
Called them assorts of names...…suckers, mugs, no balls, no passion etc.
They were in a bad spell and you weren’t alone but Jesus didn’t you go to town on your meltdown.
I on the other hand say that our top scorer, when not scoring goals doesn’t contribute too much, a balanced view I think, and I’m the idiot. When he's not scoring so much it stands out more. Not bashing him him, just an observation.
From the man that argued Ritchie was as good a Dman that ever played in the UK, after claiming Hotham was the best Dman he'd seen over here, not a year previously.
Whilst I'm at it, Wannabe, you need to drop all the swearing and calling individuals insulting names. I'm pretty sure this is a family friendly forum and I'm surprised I haven't seen you receiving a public warning about it. I'm sure others would have.
If it's an adult forum, I apologise, take the last past back and you curse away to your hearts content.

Kevlar68

I can't remember anywhere seeing it's family friendly, it's just a adult forum.

I also questioned how Reid had seemed to have gone off the boil a little a couple of weeks ago so it is noticeable but it's not a crisis of any sort, many players have quiet periods and I hope he starts hitting the net again very soon.

moggy#9

There's a temptation to see players as individuals, rather than members of a team in terms of the skills they bring to the table. It's also tempting to assess their abilities in absolute terms rather than in terms off their role within the team. I'm personally very happy with what Reid
I can't remember anywhere seeing it's family friendly, it's just a adult forum.

I also questioned how Reid had seemed to have gone off the boil a little a couple of weeks ago so it is noticeable but it's not a crisis of any sort, many players have quiet periods and I hope he starts hitting the net again very soon.
An adult forum? My wife swears that I'm about 7. ;-)

Wannabe2

Nobody is having a dig at Reid. It's an observation of his game and I think you've taken it the wrong way. Goalscorers are priceless and at this level he's a high end goalscorer.

(Posted this before reading EDS' similar post )
Yes your right, thanks Matbur I indeed read it wrong.

Happy to be corrected if it's not a family friendly forum!!
My point about Reid was as he isn't scoring so much his general contribution isn't great. He isn't a spring chicken so no doubt 7-10 years back that might not have been the case. but we are in the here and now.
I am also aware that any of our players if they had other skills on top of the ones they excel at this level, wouldn't be here......kinda obvious