Devils Vs Giants - 11 Nov 18 - League

Hedd Wyn John

Whilst I would partially agree... my feeling is that it is more than that. I generally only get to away games and broadly speaking the people I speak to are sensible and have facts and figures to back up their argumnts but... when I have been at IAW I have been amazed by the degree of negativity and ignorance proudly on display....
I’ve not been to a huge amount of away games but I think there’s some truth to what you’re saying, I just hope the reputation of the fan base isn’t tarnished by a small minority that’s all.

Kevlar68

Our players aren't invincible, our players aren't perfect and neither are we as fans but you would think by some of the posts through out this forum that some of the members have never put a foot wrong through out their life.
I bet every single one of us have had more than one bad day at work, uni, college, school or as part of a team.
The Devils are no different to each and every one of us but they are working under the scrutiny of the public eye.
Every team has its peaks and troughs through a season, this is our trough and we have to be positive that they will climb out of it.

The final whistle has gone on the Belfast game, lets get back behind the team and be that extra player when supporting them.

kettdevil1

I’ve not been to a huge amount of away games but I think there’s some truth to what you’re saying, I just hope the reputation of the fan base isn’t tarnished by a small minority that’s all.
Our players aren't invincible, our players aren't perfect and neither are we as fans but you would think by some of the posts through out this forum that some of the members have never put a foot wrong through out their life.
I bet every single one of us have had more than one bad day at work, uni, college, school or as part of a team.
The Devils are no different to each and every one of us but they are working under the scrutiny of the public eye.
Every team has its peaks and troughs through a season, this is our trough and we have to be positive that they will climb out of it.

The final whistle has gone on the Belfast game, lets get back behind the team and be that extra player when supporting them.
Was it Ken Dryden, the Habs Nettie in their glory days who asked if there was another job wherein if you made a mistake, a red light came on and 18,000 people started laughing and pointing at you.... players expect a degree of OTT praise and criticism, it’s just when it is boneheaded that it gets too much...

august04

The thing about hits that's stuck with me was the NHL 2016 Winter Classic between the Bruins & the Canadiens. The Bruins out hit the Habs 29 -18. Final score.? Habs 5 Bruins 1. Made my mind up about hitting.
So you based your opinion on hitting from viewing one game?! If that’s the case, if you’d viewed last nights game, you’d have the complete opposite opinion. Belfast smashed us all over the place and won 8-1!

Milky

I take your point.
It’s just some people push their opinion as fact, reacting in such a defensive manner.
Is Lord incompetent, he must be, if fans can point out solutions to problems. He put the team together, if it’s not working, criticism is indirectly calling out the coaches failings. If Lord is incompetent then, why stop there, Todd employs him, so Todd must be also. If Todd’s incompetent, well you know the rest, bye bye the organisation. Ridiculous isn’t it.
I’d give Lord around 20 seconds explaining his knowledge before said fans felt foolish, that’s being generous. I have total faith in the organisation, if and its a big if, if there are issues I’m more than confident of a resolution.
On the subject of value for money, it’s sport, you pay to watch it, win, loose or draw.
Ah but they’ve been supporting the team for 20 years so they must know what they’re talking about ............ not!
Quite.

Also see Reddick’s anti-bullying Tweet on the Devils account. Going back a few years I remember Dennis Maxwell talking about how we were not a great fan base to play for as we tended to do exactly what Bowns and Reddick are talking about, there seems to be a complete lack of perspective amongst some fans....

I have no problem at all about well argued criticism (and to be fair we sucked yesterday) but.... tagging a player in is a punk move and sometimes the lack of thought when posting in the Inferno is jaw dropping....

We need to get back to being the best fans, not a fan base with more than our share of halfwits
This idea we have ‘the best fan base’ is a load of old tosh. I think there’s too much looking through ‘rose tinted spectacles’ to be fair.

The treatment of Reddick last year was disgraceful. The tweets I saw tagging in Steve King about Reddick was a Joke.

Devil94

The biggest worry right now is the way some so called “fans” interacting directly with players during a bad run like this. Saw someone on twitter tweet to Pope earlier “terrible not just last night but the last 5/6 games. Conceding just over 20 odds at home goals is embarrassing. 2 weeks notice you lot should be on” and I’ve also just watched Bownsy anti bullying video about last year when fans approved him after a game. As a Devils fans it’s hard to stomach.

This forum does get a bit of stick but I much rather see people come on here to vent their frustration in a debate than to approach any player directly on social media. If that means some threads gets overly passionate and some debates become unstructured then so be it.
Im sure it wont surprise you that the guy who tweeted that is rabbitohs04 on here.

august04

Quite.

Also see Reddick’s anti-bullying Tweet on the Devils account. Going back a few years I remember Dennis Maxwell talking about how we were not a great fan base to play for as we tended to do exactly what Bowns and Reddick are talking about, there seems to be a complete lack of perspective amongst some fans....

I have no problem at all about well argued criticism (and to be fair we sucked yesterday) but.... tagging a player in is a punk move and sometimes the lack of thought when posting in the Inferno is jaw dropping....

We need to get back to being the best fans, not a fan base with more than our share of halfwits
Yes, but players don’t have to visit the Inferno if they don’t want to read what we think and what we post on here. Social media is completely different when fans are contacting players directly and slagging them off (or praising them). That’s not acceptable and I can’t be bothered with all that. Far better to post opinions here. That’s what forums are about.

kettdevil1

Yes, but players don’t have to visit the Inferno if they don’t want to read what we think and what we post on here. Social media is completely different when fans are contacting players directly and slagging them off (or praising them). That’s not acceptable and I can’t be bothered with all that. Far better to post opinions here. That’s what forums are about.
Yes, and agree with the difference between tagging a player in on Twitter and having a go on the forum but they are part of the whole which gives the impression of a fan base that has a sense of entitlement and has no clue about what is meant by a discussion....

There are posters on this forum who I disagree with on a regular basis, but I respect them as they have a coherent argument and facts that back up their point.... that is the beauty of a forum I would argue. Sadly there are too many who have a knee jerk reaction to everything and when called out react defensively or merely repeat what they said....

Chris

Administrator
The biggest worry right now is the way some so called “fans” interacting directly with players during a bad run like this. Saw someone on twitter tweet to Pope earlier “terrible not just last night but the last 5/6 games. Conceding just over 20 odds at home goals is embarrassing. 2 weeks notice you lot should be on” and I’ve also just watched Bownsy anti bullying video about last year when fans approved him after a game. As a Devils fans it’s hard to stomach.

This forum does get a bit of stick but I much rather see people come on here to vent their frustration in a debate than to approach any player directly on social media. If that means some threads gets overly passionate and some debates become unstructured then so be it.
We actually had an interview ready to go with Bowns, and one lined up with Reddick to try and address what had gone on last season, but due to the comments from some people on here the club has pulled any access we had to players, staff or anyone else, so that was the end of the Q&As :(

The comments from Bowns were particularly enlightning and I would honestly have said it was going to be one of the best Q&As that we had run. It's hard to see that the club will ever change their mind on allowing us to speak to members of the organisation again what with some of the comments being made.

But I suppose at least we tried to address what had gone on, we gave the players a chance to reply and for the most part they seemed to enjoy the questions we asked and issues we raised with them as evidenced by the Q&As we did get a chance to run.

Good to see the club have finally got around to addressing the issues that were faced last season by Reddick and Bowns in the videos though.

mjh

I’ve got to say that most of the negative and vitriolic stuff just helps show these people up for who they are. What’s impressive, whatever your opinion of him, is the way Reddick has focused on his play through it all. Again, just helps show these chumps up. I’m not enjoying this slump but we have to earn the right to be called no 1. Believe Lordo can get the team firing again soon. My only concern is that the D looks a bit makeshift since Parisi and Blood departed. Looking forward to seeing the new guys in action this weekend.

Thank god i don't use social media like facebook and twitter so don't have to see whats being posted.
Social media itself isn’t terrible. Ben Blood use of social media this year was fantastic. The way he used twitter and instragam helped us as fans really connect with him as a new player very quickly. He was only here for a few months but it felt like we’ve known him for years and he quickly became a fan favourite.

august04

Yes, and agree with the difference between tagging a player in on Twitter and having a go on the forum but they are part of the whole which gives the impression of a fan base that has a sense of entitlement and has no clue about what is meant by a discussion....

There are posters on this forum who I disagree with on a regular basis, but I respect them as they have a coherent argument and facts that back up their point.... that is the beauty of a forum I would argue. Sadly there are too many who have a knee jerk reaction to everything and when called out react defensively or merely repeat what they said....
Our fan base is no different to any other sports team. I think this forum is actually pretty moderate compared to some I’ve seen in other sports. And you’ll always get morons on social media, that’s unavoidable and rife everywhere sadly. Certainly not unique to our fan base, not that that is any excuse for some of the abusive stuff out there.

KaneDevils

Do me a favour Jimmy Snels ... I wasn't posting to derail the thread and it was very much on-topic, I have already posted what I thought - lack of confidence being the main factor why were so off our game, and that things need tweaking (one of my personal hates is people making digs without getting their facts right).

Very small minority? It feels that an increasing majority of posts are made by people who don't seem to have any real understanding of hockey.

I'm done with this forum for a while, it's lost any credibility it had and has turned into a cringe-fest. Other teams fans must have a right laugh coming on here and I feel sorry for Steve King, who persists with reading some of this sh*te.
So it's ok to mock our members and fans but not the players? Some have a different opinion to you so they know little about the game? Grow up bud, Jesus. Yes, Lord recruited the players, but if someone is underperforming, why is it the coach's fault? Can we not blame the player himself? Nobody has said anything other than, what has happened, going from world beaters to losing 8.1 at home. What the hell is wrong with that? Honest to God.

Justtw

After watching those anti bullying videos, I felt sick that people call themselves fans and publicly go after the players directly...

So you based your opinion on hitting from viewing one game?! If that’s the case, if you’d viewed last nights game, you’d have the complete opposite opinion. Belfast smashed us all over the place and won 8-1!
Not totally, but it stuck in my mind at the time.

Having reviewed the highlights from last night's game, only Belfast's 3rd goal do I view what might be a hit that causes a turnover leading to a goal. Hitting to separate a player from the puck I understand, other than that, I'm not convinced of its value, but happy to be pursuaded otherwise. I would be interested to know the stats on how many hits last night led to turnovers. I wonder if the team stats people have that info?