Devils Vs Giants - 23/24 Nov 19 - League

Temme

The EIHL have just tweeted the 'real' league table (points % wise) which evens everything out.

1) Belfast Giants - 65%
2) Glasgow Clan - 64%
3) Cardiff Devils - 62%
4) Sheffield Steelers - 60%
5) Nottingham Panthers - 53%

Hopefully that puts it into perspective a little bit better.

Until this weekend, we had headed that table. Yes, it was not a great weekend and yes, things definitely need to improve if we are to win the league. That said, it is not as bleak as many are making out, not even close. There is a hell of a lot of hockey left to play.

august04

The EIHL have just tweeted the 'real' league table (points % wise) which evens everything out.

1) Belfast Giants - 65%
2) Glasgow Clan - 64%
3) Cardiff Devils - 62%

Not for me. A “real“ league table doesn’t mask what I see on the ice from this Devils team. I don’t mind losing (never have) if we give everything. It’s the lack of passion and fight that bothers me more and this team going down with a whimper. And we’re seeing it all too often, interspersed with the odd good win after the team has had a bollocking. It’s not good enough.

Gazr76

That Farnham looks like a great signing for Belfast. For his CV & PIM count he plays a disciplined game when on the ice (at least he did against us) and did not stop chipping away or chirping all weekend.

I heard someone in our block yesterday shout "where were you yesterday Farnham?! All talk!"

The answer to that question is he was busy scoring the overtime winner!

Still no concerns yet on the season for me, we are in the mix with all the other top teams whilst not firing at all.

Matty Myers has more goals than Linglet, Martin & Bentivoglio COMBINED.

These guys will find the back of the net eventually and things will start to click.

I've still never known a team lose a league title in November so absolutely no reason to panic or start gassing guys just yet.

Fans of all sports love a scapegoat, but the mediocre form runs through the team at the minute.

I'm never the 'positive' person when it comes to my own team but I for one still have faith that this group can get it done, no changes necessary.
Agreed. Farnham came out like his hockey shorts were on fire. High energy, chirping away, getting in peoples faces. The Devils dont really have anyone like this. It really lifts your team and gets everyone fired up. He reminds me of Sacratini.

Wannabe2

People pay good money to watch entertaining hockey, win or lose, their views are concluded by what they have seen with their own eyes, not stats that can be read one way or the other. Now if you see a lack of passion and fight then that is obviously a bummer, now we should not be expected to know everything that a club is going through, some things are none of our business, but if your team is playing pretty lousy , and sometimes look like a rabbit in full headlights, then that’s a real cause for concern. Giants are a good team, but still not a great team, they played well against us, but how much did we contribute to their success, plenty I reckon.

1) Belfast Giants - 65%
2) Glasgow Clan - 64%
3) Cardiff Devils - 62%

This doesn't change anything for me at all, it just tries to mask it!

What that statistic doesn't show is the fact that we haven't been to Sheffield or Belfast once yet, but Belfast have taken 4 pts IN Cardiff., and Clan have also split the series in Cardiff, and won the game IN Glasgow

Also does't show that we've played one more game at home than away, whereas Clan have played 2 more games on the ROAD than at home (Their first 7 were away, 6 wins!) and Belfast 3 more on the road than at home. Put these things into the perspective, and we'd be somewhere between Nottingham's 53% and Steelers 60%)

As August04 said, it also doesn't mask what we are seeing on the ice - a team that seems to be somehow lacking tactically, is more often than not being out-hustled, and at times, look slightly disinterested and just don't appear to be clicking

What I don't get, is that this is the same team that looked immense in CHL, and had Linglet, Riley and other top players scoring a point per game, against harder opposition with better defences. Where is that team now? There is no way that releasing Sointu (Who was brought in as cover) can explain that drastic drop in form and production.

So happy to see Joey Haddad back to full fitness, and playing the way we know he can, great to see Pope appear to go a good way in answering his critics by playing the body a good bit, and chipping in with regular points

By the way, Sointu still doesn't have a club ...........

tim78

What makes me feel a bit peeved is not being beat but being beat by a team who had to play their backup goalie of their own backup goalie and we only hit 1 goal.

Temme

What makes me feel a bit peeved is not being beat but being beat by a team who had to play their backup goalie of their own backup goalie and we only hit 1 goal.
Shane Owen iced the second game.

It wasn't Dickson, despite the jersey :)

If you check the match report he got MOTM for them.

august04

I haven’t seen the full interview with Lord yet but I hope he addresses just whose idea it was to leave Mark Louis out of the line up against the most physical team in the league, who had just done a number on us the night before. That needs explaining because if that has come from Lord himself, then what the hell was he thinking? Is that really the way we want this team to go? Not for me, thank you very much.

Last edited:

zoesdevil

After the 4th the whole side gave up. Only Dixon and Batch can come out of that with any degree (however small) of dignity. And maybe McNamee

That being said I don’t know what I’m more frustrated by: the officiating, the drop passes, the lack of anybody tonight willing to put down a marker (would normally rely on Louis to sort some of their lot out), or the theatrics on here. Some people obviously expect creative players to throw as bigger hit as a huge D man or it’s not enough. Players obviously don’t care unless they finish every game bleeding.

Our trouble this season IMO is that we simply don’t pull the trigger enough, and don’t have anybody in front of net enough. A few times tonight the puck was put across the crease and nobody close enough to make any impact. Sometimes the creative players create, but there’s nobody willing to gamble or take a shot.

And I can’t stand Giants....generally
I'd say Duggan gave 110% when he did ice also.

BostonBart22

Well done giants on the way they approached the 2 games this weekend, proper in your face hockey from the word go, standout for me was Raine what a player over the 2 days, cant wait to go to belfast to see a cracker v steelers on the 6th as i know i will be entertained by 2 teams giving 100% for 60 mins or more, as for the devils i know it sounds daft but i really believe some are playing that bad they are waiting to be gassed b4 xmas so they can be home for xmas , thats how bad it has come..and i couldnt care a toss if they read this as i pay their wages...rant over

Can't help feeling some are being over negative. Cardiff have a good team. They will click and they will win games.
If,as someone mentioned, Cardiff made the Giants look better than they are,then Lord will rework it. You can bet the Devils team that plays in the CC game v Giants will be different.

Can't help feeling some are being over negative. Cardiff have a good team. They will click and they will win games.
If,as someone mentioned, Cardiff made the Giants look better than they are,then Lord will rework it. You can bet the Devils team that plays in the CC game v Giants will be different.
I respect your opinion, but if so, why couldn't it be addressed from Saturday to Sunday this week?