Devils Vs Lukko Rauma - CHL - 12th Oct 2021

Kevlar68

Knowing what games we have this weekend and having a few injuries with this game not really of any importance if we're being honest, i would be saying just go out, play the game but don't go knocking yourselves out, we're out of CHL and our priority is League, save your energy levels, don't take any knocks and save it for Saturday.
Why would you give this game 100% when Saturday is a vital game to us over this one.
We know we're a good team.

jenks33

I don’t like to be negative but I’ve seen nothing so far to suggest we’ve got a different Ben O’Connor to the one that struggled in his last year or two at Sheffield. His defending for that first goal was abysmal. We were the better team at that point and the first goal in these CHL teams are crucial. Particularly for us

moggy#9

I don’t like to be negative but I’ve seen nothing so far to suggest we’ve got a different Ben O’Connor to the one that struggled in his last year or two at Sheffield. His defending for that first goal was abysmal. We were the better team at that point and the first goal in these CHL teams are crucial. Particularly for us
I agree. His loose, and no look passes have put us under unnecessary pressure in games, and he seems to get caught out of position. Frankly I'd rather have kept Matt Myers and had another import defenceman. But, hey, I fully expect to get slated for having an opinion.

jenks33

I agree. His loose, and no look passes have put us under unnecessary pressure in games, and he seems to get caught out of position. Frankly I'd rather have kept Matt Myers and had another import defenceman. But, hey, I fully expect to get slated for having an opinion.
To be honest my heart is in my mouth anytime he’s near the action. He’s not great at defending and with the puck he tries miracle plays all the time.

moggy#9

Dupont is looking much better in this game. He just seems to be doing the little things and using his size more effectively. If only he could get a goal to maybe spark him.

I t crossed my mind recently that in the last few years we have added to our defence around about this time (timing may not be exact). These were Fournier, Strachen, Morrison, always seemed to work for us! I wonder if this is an option this year. As I write this Register scores, someone I am really enjoy watching!

moggy#9

Some very positive things from tonight's match: Dupont looking much improved, more shots, better puck retention and another excellent performance from Waller. On the negative side however O'Connor gives me kittens at times and our defence in general makes too many loose passes.

We won't play opposition like that again this season, but going into Saturday (particularly without McNally) really worries me.

E.D.S.

Agree. Difficult to call people out when you are being outplayed in every department by a much better team. We all looked average which is understandable. Still a gutsy performance.

Just can’t decide between…Are our frailties being highlighted so clearly because of the quality of opposition or are we just playing quality opposition that would expose anyones weaknesses? Not sure. Either way still feels premature to point the gun at people.

I like Skaldes decision making. Doesn’t think twice about pulling the Goalie early doors. Waller continues to impress. As much as I love what he is doing - he is the find of season so far - but should a young Brit be standing out so much in this team with so much ‘alleged’ quality around him or are they making him better?

august04 2.0

I’ve always thought O'Connor's offensive upside outweighed his defensive frailties, but he was a liability tonight and I thought we looked much more secure at the back end with him sat on the bench for the entire third period! DuPont looked much more involved, even thought he was going to get into some rough stuff towards the end of the game, and good to see him get a goal which is all positive. He is contributing more, there’s no doubt about that but for me, we still don’t have a replacement for Joey Martin. Maybe that’s not possible given the wage cap restrictions this year and maybe expecting DuPont to be that man was unfair? I don’t know.
Overall, despite our defensive frailties, we put in a good effort tonight. Register had a great game for me, terrific performance from him. When you think that they brought in 6 under 20’s and left 6 regulars at home, and still beat us 6-3, well they’re just on another level and their finishing was lethal. No shame in losing to a team like that.

ASHIPP

Another level. These teams don't just have speed, they have size and strength and are competition ready with time to prepare before the tournament starts. Our smaller players were outplayed and shut down tonight.

Some of our guys played insane minutes. Fatigue was going to set in by p3.

The scoreline didn't reflect the guts and effort of the Devils. They did well to be scoring against a team of this calibre. Kozun was excellent.

It's the best training and preparation they could have with a huge League weekend coming up. Let's hope it pays off.

jenks33

I thought we played well for large parts and 3-6 is a harsh Scoreline. As others have said Dupont seems to have turned a corner and I thought Ben Davies did well tonight after a quiet start. Register and Mikkelson very good on D. Biggest compliment I can pay Waller is he looks like a good import player rather than a young brit.

Pretty sure O’Connor was benched for the remainder of the game after their 5th goal and rightly so. My concern so far this season has been our depth up front but I’m more worried about our D at the moment. O’Connor is an experienced, well paid Dman and we simply need better performances from him. His decision making is school boy stuff.