Devils Vs Panthers - 22 Jan 20 - CC Semi Final

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to win as much as anyone. If we don't pick up silverware this year, the first time under the new owners, it will sting. Some may want change and I would respect their opinion. I will not be one of them. I have voiced some concerns this year as many have but should that happen , our organisation will be even more determined to improve next year and I will be screaming even louder at games!! Its not over this season though so I'm just going to enjoy it, of course wanting every trophy going!!!

pjj365

Games might be tight, we may be losing those we should win, some might not like the style of hockey, some have concerns about various players(without knowing who is carrying an injury or is actually below par) and some just like to pick holes.

BUT

We are 2nd in the leauge with 4 games in hand but only 7 points behined, we are equal on games to Panthers with 2 points more and a far better win count (in the event of a tie), whatever happens in the leauge we will be in the mix for PlayOffs and we are one game away from the cup final.

Are there concerns - yes, do we need to worry - of course ( it's natural in a tight race), are we a failing team - absolutely not. There are 6, maybe 7, teams who would kill to be in our position.

Also, if not this year then at some time in the future there will be a slowing down in winning trophies. At that point let's look back on past glories and forward to a rapid return to where we are now. At that point we will not have the luxury of moaning from a strong(ish) position but will need to support the team even more. As Steve says - this is sport and it has massive ups and downs - we've been without serious downs so far under the current owners so let's be thankful

Ocko

l wouldn’t want or expect an owner to call out any member of his staff, even less on a fan forum.

If this season was to see us loose, say 11 points, not win anything, l don’t think I’d be alone in calling for a change.
What changes do you want? You often moan about the current set up/players/coaching/management but specifically what changes do you think we should make? Because you just seem to go a long way around moaning about nothing in particular.

And regardless of whether we win the league or not I’m sure everyone, management included, will think there are some changes that can be made. There is always room for improvement. Even when we came within a whisker of the grandslam there were a few positions we could’ve been a bit better in - so I don’t really get your point.

kingmo19.1

Perhaps you should listen to your own advice. l notice whenever there are any controversial threads you are always in thick of it with a big wooden spoon stiring like an old woman. Between you and the 90% cringey embarrassing crap wannabe spams the forum with is it really any wonder the inferno is mocked on twitter and by other fanbases?

back on topic. If the management and ownership group are serious about winning every trophy l'm curious as to what action if any they intend to take to get us out of this slump. Something needs to be done and l dont think opening a cheque book is the answer, but if nothing is done l see the trophy case being quite barren in April.
An old woman! An old woman, how very dare you :)

Mazzoak

What changes do you want?
Have you not read them yet.

You have mentioned most of them. Specifically some support for Bowns, l don’t agree with him being 2nd choice. Better game management and reaction, If their gonna keep Lord, which l have no doubt he’d ever be replaced, I believe he needs support. Better player management, nobody likes individuals being singled out for criticism or abuse, l kinda know who that feels, replacing them is better than putting them under constant pressure, it isn’t productive, for anybody.

For those getting hot under the collar, these are simply my opinions. I’ve never stated I’m right........l believe l am.

osh

What changes do you want? You often moan about the current set up/players/coaching/management but specifically what changes do you think we should make? Because you just seem to go a long way around moaning about nothing in particular.

And regardless of whether we win the league or not I’m sure everyone, management included, will think there are some changes that can be made. There is always room for improvement. Even when we came within a whisker of the grandslam there were a few positions we could’ve been a bit better in - so I don’t really get your point.
I think Mazzoak has made it pretty clear in the past that he/ she would like to see a few changes in order to improve performances. I also think it’s important to remember that many respected posters on here were calling for improvements - especially on our D - due to our D at the time being very easy to score against ( like they are at the moment to be fair )
you mention in your post that ‘everyone, management included’ will think changes can be made, ok, so what changes do you personally think could or should have been made and when exactly.
Me, I called for improvements on our D, fair play to our organisation they brought in Morrison ( experienced D man at NHL level ) but felt it was a month too late for whatever reasons ( contract, availability etc ) However, I also felt that we needed to improve on our goal scoring ability, it’s as plain as the nose on anyone’s face that there are a couple of players who aren’t doing what they should do i.e score goals, look at the stats which quite honestly are embarrassing For a team of our ability. Ocko, are you happy with our top 2 lines return ? I’m sure the answer is no. It’s too late now, otherwise Lord would have - and should have - cut 2 players. I’m not going to call out who I think should have been cut as a lot of posters feel it unfair to mention individual players, so I won’t mention who. But I will mention them as soon as the season ends for sure, and certainly don’t see them being with us next season. Personally, I can see at least 7 or more changes next season in team personnel.

Ocko

Have you not read them yet.

You have mentioned most of them. Specifically some support for Bowns, l don’t agree with him being 2nd choice. Better game management and reaction, If their gonna keep Lord, which l have no doubt he’d ever be replaced, I believe he needs support. Better player management, nobody likes individuals being singled out for criticism or abuse, l kinda know who that feels, replacing them is better than putting them under constant pressure, it isn’t productive, for anybody.

For those getting hot under the collar, these are simply my opinions. I’ve never stated I’m right........l believe l am.
What support do you suggest for Lord? I don’t see what extra support he could have. He has a plethora of off-ice staff assisting him - an assistant, goalie coach, analysis and stats team and a great GM.

I also don’t understand your point about player management. Who knows how lord manages his players, his reputation seems pretty good. But unless you’re in the dressing room it’s a pretty baseless point. I’ve also never seen the organisation single players out.

Sometimes things just don’t work out how you plan. Kudos to Lord for trying to work his way through it. It would be easy to sack players and try to replace them. Instead he trusts the guys he brought in and on the whole he’s got it right over the years.

jimmy snels

never thought id see the day our owner would have to come on here and have to defend his integrity. Changes in tactics, players, position, line ups, style of play for me are wide open for debate (i know others dont seem to like it but to me all fair game), but if u believe steve, brian etc can effect any of those on a game night or in the case of roster changes etc without lords ok to it, i think you are debating the wrong people.

im actually a little annoyed reading this thread. we were excellent for two periods and had a mare of a 2nd. surely rather than debate peoples integrity we would feel better about debating what we did differently in that poor period and whatever lordo said in the period break that followed that clearly jolted the team back into action. it was a 5-5 not a 1-1 snoozefest!

i personally think we are weak mentally and if it doesnt go our way we seem to wilt. i also think we have been a bit to loyal to a few players which I've previously discussed. i could just as easily be wrong on these and might in reality be misinterpreting things which as a fan is absolutely ok!

perhaps these topics might prompt a bit more of a worthwhile debate?

Mazzoak

I’ve not questioned anybody’s integrity. You say changes in tactics, players, position, line ups, style of play are open for debate, l agree, I’m not suggesting for one minute the owners could or should effect those on game night. There responsibility is to have the staff who can implement & achieve their goals, as in any business.

Yes this thread detracted into a generalised running of the clubs performance and not the game, sorry.......

We can all be guilty of misinterpretation.

doron

i would just like to say there are not many club owners that would come on here and explain their motives.
and it is sad that you had to. but it shows you care about the club
and is much appreciated.

98% of fans really appreciate what you have done for the club.
all fans want to be the coach, but very few if any could.

i as a single fan . see a team that is competitive, and this is down to the owner's
and that is all a fan should want ( win or lose )

so from the 98% of fans, i would like to say thank you. to the owners.
and all the backing they have given this club.

never thought id see the day our owner would have to come on here and have to defend his integrity. Changes in tactics, players, position, line ups, style of play for me are wide open for debate (i know others dont seem to like it but to me all fair game), but if u believe steve, brian etc can effect any of those on a game night or in the case of roster changes etc without lords ok to it, i think you are debating the wrong people.

im actually a little annoyed reading this thread. we were excellent for two periods and had a mare of a 2nd. surely rather than debate peoples integrity we would feel better about debating what we did differently in that poor period and whatever lordo said in the period break that followed that clearly jolted the team back into action. it was a 5-5 not a 1-1 snoozefest!

i personally think we are weak mentally and if it doesnt go our way we seem to wilt. i also think we have been a bit to loyal to a few players which I've previously discussed. i could just as easily be wrong on these and might in reality be misinterpreting things which as a fan is absolutely ok!

perhaps these topics might prompt a bit more of a worthwhile debate?
Totally agree with this! To the point if owners were having that much interference on how we play i imagine the coach would be annoyed! Look at football as an example where people moan about owners picking teams etc!!

jenks33

Shame that one of the owners feels the need to come on here and defend himself. I’ve been critical of a few of our players in the past 12 months but I’ve never dreamt of blaming the owners. It sounds incredibly cheesy but we have literally landed on our feet with our owners.

I second the above, Steve should never have to defend himself here. Don't think its cheesy Jenks, its factual, we probably wouldn't have the club we have now without our owners. Furthermore, their engagement with us as fans, be it on this forum, travelling to games on fan uses & having a drink with fans at games shows their passion for the organisation. I may have my moans & grumbles, but their commitment to the Devils is something I will never question.

I run a small business, i have the backing of my American owners. (bit like the Devils) i hit my targets every month for 2019. i was left alone to do my job, which i did well with the staff i had.
Then comes 2020. targets (expectations) through the roof based on the simple fact. everybody wants more, and rightly so. (bit like the fans)
Will i hit my goals ?
I will do my best and that's all i can do. My staff have bought into what we are trying to achieve.
Same for the Devils team, management & staff, i'd say.

I guess my point is, We have had a great 5-6 years under the new owners, trophies a plenty. if we did win everything, what then ? CHL Champions next? maybe a step too far.

Look back a few years when Coventry won everything. now what? In football Man utd's glory years, now what? Snooker Stephen Hendry won everything now what?
Each year teams improve to try and match the winning teams, to meet their own expectations
if we won every game, it would become a bore fest. healthy competition is key.
it's sport, and as already said it's unpredictable and that's what makes it exciting.

Personally i am excited by the run in, who's going to beat who on the night? Plus it makes the Belfast double much more interesting for me. I can't wait
My Personal ONLY gripe about this season is the Physicality, i got hooked on hockey for the rough stuff. so if anyone has got this far reading my post who can address this, please rough it up a bit.

Wannabe2

Okay it’s a new day today, let’s get behind the lads tonight from afar, and let’s get behind them tomorrow, fingers crossed for a 4 point weekend. Let’s do this.

terry hunt

I see that Palmberg their best player has left the Giants and back to the SHL.
Guildford have gassed Cam Braes and are looking for a new player.
Is everyone unhappy with their teams?
Are all us Brits a bunch of whingers?

Status
Not open for further replies.