Devils vs Stars - 10 Oct 19 - League

august04

I’m pleased to get the win but we were an utter shambles defensively for much of that game and have been in other games too, so let’s not blame it all on fatigue (especially when you have the likes of Duggan, Rutkis barely getting on the ice). I’ve never seen our defence give up so many breakaways and odd man rushes as we’re consistently doing this season. I’ve said it time and time again but we badly need a steadying influence at the back end. We’re all over the place at times. Nice to see Pope getting a couple of huge goals tonight, which will do him the world of good but can we have the old Linglet back please? God help us if we defend like that against Frolunda on Tuesday.

doron

I blame players!! There’s no way they should be conceding 6/7 to Dundee!!

Lord can only do so much then the players must take command,

Unfortunately for devils it’s not working this season

i do believe that the Dundee Stars have a very good squad and will do well this season. as for the devils i would like to see more speed and aggression showen

Imp

You have to figure that Dundee fancied their chances tonight, in a way that they would not normally approach a mid-week game in Cardiff. Post-Frölunda, Devils were always likely to be there for the taking.

Haven’t seen anything of the game, aside from three screens of EIHL stats and social media (and I managed get some work done too!) but there’s something good about a team that can scrape together a win like this.

in the long run character might not be a substitute for ability, but it’s a big positive in what is a brutal fortnight for the team.

jenks33

I’m not just basing this on tonight’s match as we’ve had a tough schedule this week but as others have said our defence worries me. They’re all good players but I think we seriously lack physicality back there. I think Jardine and Mcmonagle will both turn out to be good signings but I’m still very surprised Lordo didn’t recruit a Strachan/Blood type defenceman.

august04

I’m not just basing this on tonight’s match as we’ve had a tough schedule this week but as others have said our defence worries me. They’re all good players but I think we seriously lack physicality back there. I think Jardine and Mcmonagle will both turn out to be good signings but I’m still very surprised Lordo didn’t recruit a Strachan/Blood type defenceman.
Agree with you on Jardine anyway......

Wannabe2

We certainly got out of jail tonight, Dundee are a very good team, they have turned over the Giants twice so far, and have players who know how to finish, they have a great coach in Omar Pacha and will hopefully have a great season. My disappointment tonight was how unphysical we were, Stars are a fairly small team and I would have liked to have seen us taking the body more, the fans gave loads to the team tonight, but I don’t think much came back unfortunately. We are a good team but I feel we haven’t found our Va Va Voom yet, but am also confident it will come. Love block 13, they are awesome.

Earnie

I am baffled by some of the earlier comments - maybe they should have waited until the end of the game. Great night , great result no matter how it was achieved. We were determined to win. They now deserve as much rest as they can get.

Devils86

Didn’t say it wasn’t fair. Just my observations on atmosphere in the other parts of the arena. It just feels disjointed that’s all with the distance the sound travels making it difficult for the drummer at the other end.

But as I said, the positives (for those in Block 13 and for the players on the ice) appear to outweigh that issue. Plus the end of the game showed that it can work very, very well.
Doubt this reply, or the full context of my comments will find their way onto the Facebook group...just labelled lazily as “more complaints” and “sucking the atmosphere out of the arena” - which I didn’t say...

But if you want to make a splash for comments and likes - who cares about context and accuracy, eh? ;)

Swarley

Didn’t say it wasn’t fair. Just my observations on atmosphere in the other parts of the arena. It just feels disjointed that’s all with the distance the sound travels making it difficult for the drummer at the other end.

But as I said, the positives (for those in Block 13 and for the players on the ice) appear to outweigh that issue. Plus the end of the game showed that it can work very, very well.
Didn't mean you when I said people moaned bud, I heard a couple of people from other sections complain but the way I see it is the pros out weigh the cons of it, once it syncs up its an amazing atmosphere for all.

Devils86

Didn't mean you when I said people moaned bud, I heard a couple of people from other sections complain but the way I see it is the pros out weigh the cons of it, once it syncs up its an amazing atmosphere for all.
In which case I withdraw my last tongue in cheek comment, just being a little precious...

I loved being in Frölunda this week (if you want a vacuum of an atmosphere - try that barn!) and Block 13 is a way of bringing that away-day atmosphere to the Viola, and its great. But it’s not a total success yet - that’s what I’m saying. The atmosphere from my seat was disjointed and probably more affected by the low turnout more so than anything else.

It will get there though, and should be a permanent fixture in my opinion.

pjj365

It is the syncing that's the issue. At times tonight it was almost as if different chants were in competition so they faded out. Maybe this is what is meant by sucking the atmosphere out of the arena.
I have no doubt it will get better - hopefully the experiment will continue
Just one point. I realise that the players like Bl13 but when thanking the fans after the game they should not forget there are a couple of thousand other fans who are to the noise and support the team

ASHIPP

What a goal fest! But poor defensive play in the first two periods put the Devils in a position where they had to keep scoring to even keep in touch. Took our team 45 minutes to equalise that game before eventually taking the lead and hanging on. Those quickly conceded goals are a worry.

Two unassisted goals (Tyson Strachan would always have marked his man or been in a shutdown coverage position - missing him badly) and a fairly slick pp for the Stars. Pacha has a talented, hardworking team who were shortbenched and pushed the Devils all the way. We might have had a majority of puck possession but no good if you don't do much with It. PP was a shambles and predictable. Stars will feel robbed - they were undoubtedly the better team for first two periods.

Devils got the result they needed but were an understandably tired team who were made to work hard.

Two positives - the return of Blair Riley and two well taken goals by Matt Pope.

Diablo3

Well, that was unexpected... We started great, put loads of pressure on , then got caught on the break, from then on we were chasing the game and showing we were still tired from Tuesday. The EIHL did us no favours with the fixture list. Third period we seemed to get our legs back. I have to say any team that can pick up two points after a game like that is showing massive character and resilience.

Two goals and MOM for Mr Pope are just rewards for the way he is playing this season.

Swarley

It should certainly be a permanent fixture, it’s one of the best things to happen for awhile, and these guys are loving it, and by god it’s infectious, This is the closest we will ever get to the WNIR atmosphere, and I love it and thank everyone for making this happen.
Given the complaints about 13 from people on twitter I can see it being killed off after the frolunda game because they don't like where it is and want it elsewhere instead of enjoying what 13 accomplished they want it gone so it's a dead atmosphere again.. Its getting tiresome now with this gold / silver / bronze elite garbage we are all fans and it shouldn't matter what you pay for a ticket but apparently its what makes you a proper fan in you're in the higher tier season ticket section.

Diablo3

Given the complaints about 13 from people on twitter I can see it being killed off after the frolunda game because they don't like where it is and want it elsewhere instead of enjoying what 13 accomplished they want it gone so it's a dead atmosphere again.. Its getting tiresome now with this gold / silver / bronze elite garbage we are all fans and it shouldn't matter what you pay for a ticket but apparently its what makes you a proper fan in you're in the higher tier season ticket section.
I think they did say there were some games after Frolunda that already had block bookings in 13 so they can't have it standing for them, but you see the players reaction to it again tonight, they love it. It will be back at some point you can bank on it.

Swarley

I think they did say there were some games after Frolunda that already had block bookings in 13 so they can't have it standing for them, but you see the players reaction to it again tonight, they love it. It will be back at some point you can bank on it.
Not if these moaning fans have anything to do about it it's stuff like this that makes me want to stay home and play xbox instead of going to a game.

Kevlar68

I don't see what the gripe is about block 13, surely that's a positive addition?
I can understand about drums being out of sync though, it's like when a DJ using vinyl gets the beats wrong when mixing, it sounds awful.