Devils vs Stars - 10 Oct 19 - League

august04

I haven't seen anything on social media but are we saying that people are getting upset because the Devils are paying one section of the crowd more notice/acknowledgement as they leave the ice at the end of a game? Honestly, the mind boggles, surely no-one can get upset at such a trivial thing?! Half the crowd are usually out of the building by then anyway!

Imp

It takes sound 178.6 milliseconds to travel 200 feet!
Round numbers:
  • .1 secs per 100 feet (100 milliseconds in your money), speed of sound, varies by temperature
  • .2 secs average human reaction time
I’ll stand by half a second as a ballpark estimate for the apparent discrepancy between drummers at opposite ends.

Working theory. ;)

It’s also possible they are just awful, but pretty sure the acoustics work against them and that it’s well documented that sports arenas (unlikely theatres) are basically designed to ruin sound, bouncing it around In order to create atmosphere.

mjh

My brother came to the game with me last night. He's only there a few times per season and he said he thought the atmosphere was much better last night. Personally I think block 13 is really great for the arena. Even found myself chanting along at times and I'm a quieter observer usually. Watching Joey last night reminded me of just how lucky we are. He's still a joy to watch and as the league improves he seems to as well.

Finny

I haven't seen anything on social media but are we saying that people are getting upset because the Devils are paying one section of the crowd more notice/acknowledgement as they leave the ice at the end of a game? Honestly, the mind boggles, surely no-one can get upset at such a trivial thing?! Half the crowd are usually out of the building by then anyway!
Sadly yes.
I thought we were past all that nonsense of years past. Remember the arguments over the Meet the Players evening for season ticket holders only?
But unfortunately there were some comments on twitter last night complaining that the non-Bownsy, Bownsy wave was only done to block 13.
The sad thing is that most of the comments were from adults who really should know better.

august04

Tbh. It seems like we have been caught off guard a fair few times this season. And teams are taking their chances against us. I don’t buy the tiredness excuse. Other teams have worse travel arrangements than us.
The games have become quite dull, no physicality, minimal aggression. Also, come on guys, there’s a D in devils last time I checked!
That’s the strange thing for me. In pre-season and the early CHL games, I really thought we’d become a faster, more aggressive/physical team than last year as we seemed to be hitting everything that moved. But lately that’s vanished from our game and it started weeks ago, not just in this demanding stretch of games. I can only assume that this change in style of play has come from the coach and that’s surprising as he was so good at that side of the game in his playing days. Baffling really - we recruit a younger, faster, more physical team - tell the fans that was our aim - then go back to playing a passive style of hockey! I just don’t understand what we’re doing by not playing to our obvious strengths.

That’s the strange thing for me. In pre-season and the early CHL games, I really thought we’d become a faster, more aggressive/physical team than last year as we seemed to be hitting everything that moved. But lately that’s vanished from our game and it started weeks ago, not just in this demanding stretch of games. I can only assume that this change in style of play has come from the coach and that’s surprising as he was so good at that side of the game in his playing days. Baffling really - we recruit a younger, faster, more physical team - tell the fans that was our aim - then go back to playing a passive style of hockey! I just don’t understand what we’re doing by not playing to our obvious strengths.
Think you hit the nail on the head there mate. We were certainly bigged up as a more physical team this year with the likes of Jardin and Riley (correct me if I’m wrong). But yep. We just seem so passive. Has Batch thrown more than one hit this year?
As you said. Baffling.

My take on the performances of the last few weeks is that a lot of our problems are caused by our d zone exit - how many times have we struggled to get a clean swift exit.

osh

Amazes me when some posters on a game topic are more concerned about what the great loud fans are doing in block 13 rather than commenting on the game itself....maybe time we had a separate topic for standing block 13 etc.
As for me, I looked back on my comment after last nights game and though maybe I was being a little harsh.......having watched the ‘highlights’. Now I am even more surprised how exposed we left ourselves throughout the game ! When we concede goals it’s automatic we ( me ) blame the D. But forwards not picking up opponents coming through are as responsible for giving up goals as our D, sometimes more so. Richie was caught badly out of position - puck watching - so many times last night it was frightening ( so unlike him ) but it’s a fact. People have mentioned we miss the speed of Mosey, yes, but he is a forward and not a temp D man, I am in no doubt we are missing a stay at home D man who will not get caught out skating forward when it’s just not necessary. So after a good few games, I have to say I am not convinced in the defensive qualities of either Jardine or McMonagle, take your pick in my view. Too early in the season to say so..I dont think so, hence my view.

jimmy snels

for me defensively we are frail. this isnt based on 1 or 2 games. On what i have seen we have defenseman who, in the most part, want to score goals but lack the defensive instincts to know when NOT to go fwd. when NOT to play a Hollywood pass. some of the stats are looking pretty damning at the minute and kinda support this. We are and will no doubt remain lacking of at least one (i sould argue two!!) large stay at home mobile D man. guys who love to defend.

We also have linglet who has turned from our best player to incredibly lazy just when we need him to step up with our injuries.

i take issue with batch being called out for not hitting. id argue he or dixon have been our most physical players. i wish the rest would be a bit more aggressive.

as for the game without 13 it would have been a morgue. id rather it was closer to the rest of the fans but christ just let them have fun!