Devils Vs Storm - League - 24th Oct 2021

matbur

There was nothing in it. Even Carruth was shaking his head when their guy was thrown out. Maybe 2 minutes for making contact with goalie, but it looked accidental so even that would have been harsh.
Had it been as serious as a 5+game, I think we would have known from Mac's reaction.
Yeah, that's why I raised it on here - when I heard the call for crosschecking, I was surprised with the penalty decision.

moggy#9

There was nothing in it. Even Carruth was shaking his head when their guy was thrown out. Maybe 2 minutes for making contact with goalie, but it looked accidental so even that would have been harsh.
Had it been as serious as a 5+game, I think we would have known from Mac's reaction.
I didn't think it was terribly clear from the TV replay. The mic on the ref didn't really help to clarify things either.

Neither that not the fighting penalties seemed to make much sense. The latter seeming more like roughing, unless the officials are acting on specific guidance.

Wannabe2

He cross checked Carruth in the back, not too venomously I must say,but as there was only a few minutes left I think they sent him off in case the hockey match got physical, I mean heavens forbid you would never want a hockey game to get physical, I mean no one would come to the next game, there’s no room for physicality, seeing as the rough stuff is spoiling football already, hopefully hitting and checking will go next, and then the pinnacle will be no contact altogether. Can’t wait myself hate men being real men, it’s just not nice and so barbaric.

I watched the game on Premier and regarding the major penalty, when the refs went to have their little conflab I heard Ritchie (or which ever Devils player) say what for? Thinking he was chuckling Louis out for bear hugging.
The ref said, no it against them.
You hear the other ref say “Really?” trying to talk him into a minor pen but the ref that called the penalty insisted on chucking the storm player out.
If that makes any sense to anybody but me I’ll be surprised but basically it shows that the only one that thought it was a major penalty was one ref.

As Finnerty was trying to get across to the refs, it was more a case of the losing his balance forward and was breaking his fall by leaning on Mac with his stick (in a cross checking fashion)

moggy#9

Does anyone know if major penalties still get reviewed as a matter of course? It seems a bit odd having three 5 minute majors called in an otherwise fairly quiet game penaltywise.

Swarley

He cross checked Carruth in the back, not too venomously I must say,but as there was only a few minutes left I think they sent him off in case the hockey match got physical, I mean heavens forbid you would never want a hockey game to get physical, I mean no one would come to the next game, there’s no room for physicality, seeing as the rough stuff is spoiling football already, hopefully hitting and checking will go next, and then the pinnacle will be no contact altogether. Can’t wait myself hate men being real men, it’s just not nice and so barbaric.
Well from what I've been told today they're countering fights with a new rule that as soon as a helmet comes off the fight is to be stopped immediately and the refs are supposed to get in between the players straight away, it's a joke of a rule if you ask me because if someone drops gloves and throws a punch they can then take their helmet off to avoid getting a slap.

moggy#9

Well from what I've been told today they're countering fights with a new rule that as soon as a helmet comes off the fight is to be stopped immediately and the refs are supposed to get in between the players straight away, it's a joke of a rule if you ask me because if someone drops gloves and throws a punch they can then take their helmet off to avoid getting a slap.
I can understand it from a player protection point of view as the aim is to protect players from getting a head injury when they fall to the ice. In terms of avoiding a fight, how is it any different from just covering up? Any time a player isn't a willing combatant a fight should be stopped anyway.

The bigger problem with this is the safety of officials when both players are still swinging.

Swarley

I can understand it from a player protection point of view as the aim is to protect players from getting a head injury when they fall to the ice. In terms of avoiding a fight, how is it any different from just covering up? Any time a player isn't a willing combatant a fight should be stopped anyway.

The bigger problem with this is the safety of officials when both players are still swinging.
I do agree with the player protection side of it but I can also see it being an escape option for the rats who love to stir it up but want to avoid a slap, and I can see an official getting knocked out by accident with this new rule that's put in place. It's going to cause absolute chaos.

moggy#9

I do agree with the player protection side of it but I can also see it being an escape option for the rats who love to stir it up but want to avoid a slap, and I can see an official getting knocked out by accident with this new rule that's put in place. It's going to cause absolute chaos.
So what if they want to avoid a fight? They're not obligated, and there's easier ways to get out of one. When some players are huge compared to officials, the stripies must be protected.

Swarley

So what if they want to avoid a fight? They're not obligated, and there's easier ways to get out of one. When some players are huge compared to officials, the stripies must be protected.
I get what you're saying but I'm on about the ones who will drop gloves throw a punch and then get their helmet off to avoid the rest of the fight, fair enough if they don't want to fight and haven't dropped gloves they don't have to but if they drop the gloves it's the choice they made. I don't know who thought the new rule was a good idea but its putting officials in a dangerous situation especially if its two heavyweights that have lost their shit and a helmet comes off.

Kevlar68

The new rule is to stop fights altogether in the modern game.
If you have two players wanting to fight but won't throw a punch until the helmet is off to save from breaking their hands then this new rule automatically stops the fight before it starts.
Not many players will throw a punch against a helmet.
Sunday was that example, Louis didn't throw a punch, both grabbed each other, grappled, helmet come off, fight was broke up. If the helmet come off and fight was allowed to continue i'm sure at that point Louis would have started swinging but this new rule will now snuff out any fight unless the player is ok hitting bare knuckle against a protective helmet.

moggy#9

The new rule is to stop fights altogether in the modern game.
If you have two players wanting to fight but won't throw a punch until the helmet is off to save from breaking their hands then this new rule automatically stops the fight before it starts.
Not many players will throw a punch against a helmet.
Sunday was that example, Louis didn't throw a punch, both grabbed each other, helmet come off, fight was broke up. If the helmet come off and fight was allowed to continue i'm sure at that point Louis would have started swinging but this new rule will now snuff out any fight unless the player is ok hitting bare knuckle against a protective helmet.
Yeah, things have changed a bit since the days when Mike Rowe's helmet landed in the front row of block 8 at the wnir.

Devil94

I get what you're saying but I'm on about the ones who will drop gloves throw a punch and then get their helmet off to avoid the rest of the fight, fair enough if they don't want to fight and haven't dropped gloves they don't have to but if they drop the gloves it's the choice they made. I don't know who thought the new rule was a good idea but its putting officials in a dangerous situation especially if its two heavyweights that have lost their shit and a helmet comes off.
I just can't see any player dropping their gloves, throwing one punch then getting rid of the helmet. Don't think that would go through any hockey player's mind. Also, dont you get an automatic game penalty for removing your helmet in a fight anyway?

Slartibartfast

Considering we had to juggle the lines for Sanford being out and again after losing Dupont all lines showed remarkable chemistry. (except maybe in the first few minutes).
Waller so deserved that place on the first line and still stood out. Hard to pick out certain players because they all played so well but Batch, Waller, Ben Davies, Crandall and Ben O Connor looked particularly good.
Great performance, great atmosphere.

moggy#9

All of our Brits are looking very strong candidates for the gb team this season. Harewood has made the GB under 20 team too. I'd love to see him get an extended opportunity.

kristian

Think Harewood may be with us sooner that thought. In the games we have seen him play he is a physical player. Sure I read somewhere he dropped the gloves the other week.