Devils Vs Storm - League- 5th & 8th Jan 22 - Rearrangement Spectacular

E.D.S.

Unfortunately with football it also has a massive increase in theatricals, rolling over 15 times like you have been hit by a bus,screaming on your way down to the ground only to be fixed by the magic sponge, trying your hardest to get an opponent booked, or even better sent off, diving like a bloody pelican to get a penalty. Faster more skilful football yes, but a huge increase in cheating unfortunately.
No arguments there. It's a shocking sport to watch and isn't for me any more but that's why a new breed of fans watch it. Us old timers have a different view than the new younger generation. There are no less people wanting to play football or wanting to watch it, even with what you've written above. Wishing for is to be different is pointless. You could argue that embelishing/diving is now called more in hockey that it was 15/20 years ago as it was a different sport then - I appreciate it isn't rife like it is in football.

That's why i love the posts that Eagles8 puts on here with the Flashbacks. A truly unique era - as is the one we are in now - but those days are gone. "The King is dead, long live the King".

Samael

There is too much money in football in this country, end of. I'd rather watch grass grow than 22 primadonna millionaires kick a ball around for 2 hours. However, this is a Cardiff devils forum not a Cardiff city forum so l couldn't give a rats arse about the state of football in 2022.

Rempel makes a good point about if the skill game can be sustained in this country. That does concern me tbh. We held onto players like Martin, Haddad and Asselin for longer than we should have, l think that is a testament to how the club look after the players and their sense of loyalty more than how healthy the state of the game is in the UK. We need more people like Todd though in this country, promoters who know the game and know what it takes to get bums on seats.

moggy#9

While I accept that people are nostalgic for the past, the evolution of the game doesn't happen in isolation. Increases in the size and speed of players, as well as changes to equipment have brought player safety to the fore. To me it's incredible that players once didn't wear helmets, but medical knowledge have changed the way we look at risk. That certainly applies to fighting.

august04 2.0

While I accept that people are nostalgic for the past, the evolution of the game doesn't happen in isolation. Increases in the size and speed of players, as well as changes to equipment have brought player safety to the fore. To me it's incredible that players once didn't wear helmets, but medical knowledge have changed the way we look at risk. That certainly applies to fighting.
Changes to the equipment are one of the biggest causes of head injury, it’s like body armour compared to days past, and encourages players to get bigger, faster and more reckless, because they think they’re impenetrable - not so impenetrable if some of that gear smacks you in the chops though, then it’s lights out!

E.D.S.

There is too much money in football in this country, end of. I'd rather watch grass grow than 22 primadonna millionaires kick a ball around for 2 hours. However, this is a Cardiff devils forum not a Cardiff city forum so l couldn't give a rats arse about the state of football in 2022.

Rempel makes a good point about if the skill game can be sustained in this country. That does concern me tbh. We held onto players like Martin, Haddad and Asselin for longer than we should have, l think that is a testament to how the club look after the players and their sense of loyalty more than how healthy the state of the game is in the UK. We need more people like Todd though in this country, promoters who know the game and know what it takes to get bums on seats.
Smashing response. I wasn't aware this was a Devils forum. I'm not asking you to care about Cardiff City or football. It was for comparison. It's about evolution of the game as pointed out elsewhere but thank you for adding immense value to my post.

Samael

Smashing response. I wasn't aware this was a Devils forum. I'm not asking you to care about Cardiff City or football. It was for comparison. It's about evolution of the game as pointed out elsewhere but thank you for adding immense value to my post.
And thank you for adding nothing but unnecessary sarcasm in your above post, to a rarity on here: a worth while debate. Here, have a medal for being the imaginary champion, in your own mind, on an Internet forum.;)

moggy#9

Changes to the equipment are one of the biggest causes of head injury, it’s like body armour compared to days past, and encourages players to get bigger, faster and more reckless, because they think they’re impenetrable - not so impenetrable if some of that gear smacks you in the chops though, then it’s lights out!
It's also worth pointing out that when changes happen they're usually in response to something but they're meet with resistance. When Terry sawchuk first wore a face mask it was in response to a myriad of facial injuries, but he was still ridiculed. When I first started watching hockey there were still helmetless players in the nhl, and many who did wear them had next to useless VMs. Even though there was a growing awareness of post concussion syndrome. Face visors are mandatory now because of the speed of the puck fired from super advanced sticks by incredibly strong players. Hockey has to anticipate risk, move with the times and protect the players.

Mazzoak

Every action has an equal opposite reaction. The inevitable consequence is less ticket sales & a poorer on ice product. What the sport needs is balance, rules need to stop continuing to become more strict, we need physical proportional energy & skill. Unfortunately what the EIHL has is poor officiating which can’t cope.
As for the Carruth incident, there wasn’t any bench clearance brawl, so l don’t really know why were discussing something that hasn’t happened...........

Ocko

You are right about equipment changing, however most players don’t change their shoulder pads very often. A lot are still using the ones they had from their last junior seasons, most actually like to have as little padding as possible for mobility purposes so go for the lowest profile pads. I personally don’t know many players who would choose really over protective pads vice the old ones.

I personally think the biggest difference is the athleticism and size of players. Shannon Hope seemed a big D man in his day. He would be the second smallest D man on this year’s team.

We are also treated to multiple angles and slow motion. Every single open ice hit is pretty much a check to the head in this league. If you watch the NHL it isn’t. I personally think we’re too over protective here, we don’t let the players play. NHL/AHL/ECHL don’t call checks to the head unless the player is holding their arms high or rise to target the head. The way we call it here just encourages the puck carrier to skate with their head down and the defensive player to not take the body.

BostonBart22

Back to football, even that has changed since late 70s/80s players could go in 2 footed tackle, some times the victim would get up and carry on playing, the offender would have a quiet word in his ear by the ref, in those days you could batter the keeper in the air or even barge him in the net when he had the ball and still the goal would stand, keepers are to protected these days, players cant go near them, todays players are namby pambys, they wouldnt cope in those days when the game was hard and played by men, prob upset a few here, even this thing of the knee at the start of the game has gone out of hand in football now,players have made themselves heard now, as far as i know,other sports have pulled the plug on it ,and this thing of shaking hands at the start is laughable, why do it going into battle with another team, ok do it at the end but not the start, used to like football a lot but going downhill last few years for me.my last game was city v jacks about 3 or 4 yrs ago it was a 0 0 borefest , not like derbies of old by a long shot and hasnt improved either. rant over...

Just looked at and copied my post on Devil's Flashbacks thread after watching the brilliant comeback in the 2nd leg of the Challenge Cup final against Coventry 2006 which is relevant to this thread.
Well worth a watch thanks to Eagles8.
You will see lots and lots and lots of physical hits and the threat or expectation of an inevitable fight, which never happens. I admit probably not the most skillful game you will ever see but effort, commitment and for edge of the seat excitement, it will take some beating.

expand...
Well that was a fantastic game. Reminded me why I was so hooked on the sport from the first match I watched in the old Ice Arena. So much more physical than we see now. More hits and checks in one period than we see all year. A great hatrick from Rempel, Sacratini winning so many face-offs and good old Vother putting in the hits all game.