DoPS- Brust

Devils86

Thread starter #1
Banned for 1 game for 'roughing' - opinions?

https://www.eliteleague.co.uk/article/1867-barry-brust-suspended-for-roughing

I find it difficult to reconcile in my head how a player can receive a longer ban for being careless (ill timed check for example) than this - which to me is shocking.

Embellishment to start, then it's a cross check with his blocker aimed at the head but connects with the neck - seriously dangerous.

Swinging the blocker would be worse but he's still used it as a weapon.

kettdevil1

I would have gone for 2 games but to be honest the bigger embarrassment is the embellishment at the start - hopefully his team had short, sharp words to him about that

moggy#9

I would have gone for 2 games but to be honest the bigger embarrassment is the embellishment at the start - hopefully his team had short, sharp words to him about that
Given the type of club Sheffield is I bet he fits in a treat. They can probably get around the wage cap by paying him in doughnuts.

Devils86

Thread starter #6
I'd love to hear what some former players (of any level) have to say on the matter as getting caught up in a nasty knee collision or misjudging a hit is understandable to myself as an armchair fan of many sports...

The theatrics of the dive (let's call a spade a spade) aside this is an attack away from the play. An opponent who isn't expecting (and shouldn't expect) to be struck in the neck...

If this is 'part of the game' or somehow deserves a lesser punishment then 'hockey culture' needs to be looked at from within.

I get such things add to the spectacle but when it happens the punishment needs to be proportionate - or else the league just looks amateur.

Would have been interesting to see what would have happened if Big Barry had tried that against us.

moggy#9

I only played at rec level, though I did play against dinner incredibly dirty teams (Solihull immediately comes to mind), but I never saw anyone get hit with a blocker. A blocker use incredibly dangerous and to hot someone in an unprotected area with one is bush league stuff. Steelers discount applying here again.