Dupont named head coach

jenks33

Fair enough, but I think with them having Besko in net over Shane Owen, obviously the top line they had this year, and then a player of Jordan Bouchers quality on their 3rd line shows how they strong they were. And I had to search on EP who they even had in 19-20, no one obviously worth remembering. No one even close to a point a game, 36 points from 47 games the leader.

Yes their 18-19 team was much better. Which proves the point I was originally trying to make. If you recruit a very good league winning side, there's nothing to say they're going to improve on that even further the next year. They didn't in 19-20 and they didn't the time they won the league before that. So it's far from a certainty they will do so next year.
Yeah Besko over Owen does stand out. I rate Owen but Besko is another level

Samael

Don't get your logic at all.

Challenge Cup
3 Groups of 3, 9 teams, 8 go through. 8 games to get to quarters.
Quarters, semis and a final with nothing attached to it, you just win the Challenge cup.

Playoffs
10 teams, 8 go through, play all season 54 games to get a position or win the league.
Quarters, semis and final with Continental Cup position attached to it.

So from the quarters to the final it's the most difficult trophy to win out of Challenge and playoff.
You don't get a second chance in a semi as there is no second leg to claw the win back, it's a one off winner takes all in playoff, so in reality it's harder to win after also playing a full season, challenge cup and Europe at the end of your tank running on fumes.
What is not to get? I've already said it. LEAST AMOUNT OF GAMES. Counting the league finish as part of the playoffs is ridiculous given the amount of teams in the elite league at present. Winning the playoffs requires one two legged game then two games in the NIC....

End of.

You typed lots of words then Kevlar, but said nothing.

Kevlar68

I typed an opinion that states facts, and i stand by that opinion as you do yours.
The challenge cup is just a mini league is it not, 3 groups with qualifiers which leads to a cup final.
You qualify for the challenge cup quarters through the groups 8 games, you qualify for playoff final quarters through the league 54 games, the facts are there.

Just because someone says "End of" doesn't make them right.

Last edited:

Wannabe2

It was widely acknowledged on here that the standard of the league this year dropped significantly. It's not unreasonable to expect it therefore to improve next season.

Both Belfast and Sheffield usually manage to recruit well. Sheffield's main problem was in goal. They will resolve that. Even if Belfast have to replace players, I'm confident that they'll improve overall.
But so will we, why the under confidence in our recruitment and ability, we beat Giants 4`-2 over 6 games, and turned them over in the play offs, and should have taken them in the C C final, as for Steelers they weren’t exactly our nemesis, far from it. Time to have a bit more faith in the devils methinks and less in the other lot.

Samael

I typed an opinion, and i stand by that opinion as you do yours.
The challenge cup is a mini league is it not, 3 groups with qualifiers which leads to a cup final.

Just because someone says "End of" doesn't make them right.

You are trying to argue your opinion against FACT.

Once the league is done, it is a FACT that less games are played in the playoffs that lead to a tinpot trophy being awarded compared to the Challenge Cup, another tinpot trophy (that's my opinion btw Kev, not fact about the cc;) ).

It is logical therefore to believe that winning a league season that consists of 20 games is easier than a 40 game season, is it not, or is your OPINION contrary just for the sake of it? Also the fact the continental cup is attached to the playoffs does not mean it is any harder to win so adding that to your swiss cheese argument is laughable.

End of.

Kevlar68

My opinion is that it is harder to win the Playoff cup than Challenge cup, within that opinion i have stated facts as to why that is my opinion.

Samael

OK so it's your opinion that winning a trophy that needs a two legged aggregate win and two one offs played and won is harder than a 'mini league' as you put it that involves a group stage, a quarter, semi and then final.

Makes perfect sense....

Think l'm just going to walk away from this one as your logic, backed up with invisible facts is baffling.

moggy#9

Thread starter #90
Sheffield and Belfast didn’t have a superior rota player wise to us, they had a more consistent side, that’s why Steelers won Jack shit, and we took one which should have been two trophies off Giants.
The reason Steelers didn't win anything was because their netminding was awful. If they'd had carruth they're have won the league or at least been neck and neck with Belfast.

Wannabe2

The reason Steelers didn't win anything was because their netminding was awful. If they'd had carruth they're have won the league or at least been neck and neck with Belfast.
Hypothetical of course, as we will never know, unless your a fortune teller.

jenks33

I listened to Todd’s interview earlier but I’ve only just listened to Brodie’s. I was impressed. He’s had a bit of stick for saying what fans want to hear but he comes across well. I was pleased to hear him say “we’re going to be heavier, harder to play against and we won’t face as many shots as last season”. You can see why the players like him, seems a likeable guy.

TL91

What is not to get? I've already said it. LEAST AMOUNT OF GAMES. Counting the league finish as part of the playoffs is ridiculous given the amount of teams in the elite league at present. Winning the playoffs requires one two legged game then two games in the NIC....

End of.

You typed lots of words then Kevlar, but said nothing.
The point of a winner takes all rather than over two legs is a valid point…

jenks33

I don’t know the 6 apparent definites that won’t be back but is it fair to say that the following probably won’t return?

Carruth (Definitely won’t)
Mikkelson
Mcnulty
Dixon
Lammon
Mcnally

Slartibartfast

I really didn't like Dupont as a player and gave him a hard time on this forum but Im happy to give him a break now he is coach because:-

1) Todd is certainly impressed by him and Todd is no fool
2) The players want to come back because of him
3) He helped us win a trophy
4) In the playoffs we saw the team play a physical game for the first time.

Regarding the change of 5/6 players that sounds about right to me. I really don't think Skalde got the best out of these players through the season. Look at Sandford. He was the stand out player at the beginning of the season then went very quiet and then was amazing in the playoffs under Dupont. I would like to see how several players fare under Dupont.

Adding some bigger guys will help but I still think there is a place for speedy skilled little guys like Cox and Sandford. (Look at Combs in Dundee. Knee high to a grass hopper and 3rd top scorer in the league).

I will also be interested to see what he does with Waller if he returns. I felt Waller was wasted under Skalde.