EIHA want to ban abusive behaviour.

Swarley

Thread starter #1
While I agree with abusive behaviour needing to be stamped out be it against players, staff or officials I do find it kinda embarrassing that they've come out with this which seems directly aimed at fans after Hogarth went on twitter and posted some of the most unprofessional comments about Coventry and then promptly deleted his twitter account.

This is the same Hogarth that slagged off Cardiff as a place and the people of Cardiff back when they were in the BBT.

I can also remember an official at a Cardiff game calling block 8 a bunch of wankers because he got booed for a penalty call that a blind man could of seen wasn't a penalty.

I'm all for things needing order but if they don't start punishing officials for abusive behaviour and drop the whole you need us more than we need you dialog this I'd gonna cause so many problems.

What's people's thoughts on this? Should officials have immunity from punishment?

kettdevil1

In answer to your last question 'definitely not' .... the reality is that I am 100% certain that this has been dealt with inhouse and frankly that is exactly the right approach to take. If I made a mistake in my job, I wouldn't expect it to be publicised and it's the same with officials.

Let's not forget that the whole incident that appears to have been the trigger for this wouldn't have happened if the Cov DJ hadn't made an exhibition of himself and whilst Mr Hogarth was completely wrong to respond in the manner he did.... the initial blame lies elsewhere.

I do wonder if this has been building for a while and is more aimed at junior games? Some of the abuse the (often very young) officials cop from adults who should know better is awful and whilst any official will throw in a duff call from time to time, abusing them isn't the most constructive way of ensuring that they get it right next time.

It's a cliche but watching a game as a neutral is really interesting - I would say that when I take Devils tinted spectacles off, I probably agree with at least 90-95% of calls

The EIHL is being ruined by sub standard / haven’t got a clue referees.
Maybe if they were better trained they wouldn’t get so much abuse for being so blind and useless

Swarley

Thread starter #4
Maybe if they were better trained they wouldn’t get so much abuse for being so blind and useless
But where is the line drawn on it being abuse or just chirping at a ref because he's blatantly making suspicious calls? If officials are allowed to have biased judgment on games and get away without anything being reviewed or called out on by a department how can they expect any fan base to just ignore it, skalde had the perfect example of this with the Belfast game when he ripped into the ref and told him he was killing any credibility the league has.

If they want to ban fans they should also look at banning officials from games if they can not call a game down the middle or abusing a block for booing them when they've made dodgy calls that are obviously biased.

BostonBart22

In answer to your last question 'definitely not' .... the reality is that I am 100% certain that this has been dealt with inhouse and frankly that is exactly the right approach to take. If I made a mistake in my job, I wouldn't expect it to be publicised and it's the same with officials.

Let's not forget that the whole incident that appears to have been the trigger for this wouldn't have happened if the Cov DJ hadn't made an exhibition of himself and whilst Mr Hogarth was completely wrong to respond in the manner he did.... the initial blame lies elsewhere.

I do wonder if this has been building for a while and is more aimed at junior games? Some of the abuse the (often very young) officials cop from adults who should know better is awful and whilst any official will throw in a duff call from time to time, abusing them isn't the most constructive way of ensuring that they get it right next time.

It's a cliche but watching a game as a neutral is really interesting - I would say that when I take Devils tinted spectacles off, I probably agree with at least 90-95% of calls
any idea what the blaze DJ done..

kettdevil1

Put on a ref shirt and asked hogarth if he wanted him to take over.

That's what I heard happened and Hogarth lost his cool and had the dj thrown out of the arena.
Yep and played Three Blind Mice (neglecting the fact that we operate a four official system but hey ho..... just generally behaving in a manner that an off-ice official shouldn't

Swarley

Thread starter #8
Yep and played Three Blind Mice (neglecting the fact that we operate a four official system but hey ho..... just generally behaving in a manner that an off-ice official shouldn't
It probably wouldn't of got under Hogarths skin of there wasn't some truth to it lol

kettdevil1

Or maybe fans should learn the rules, should try to remove their inherent bias and actually accept that the vast majority of calls are correct?

I am not saying that there are not good/bad/indifferent refs but it's very rare indeed for an official to alter the result and when they get blamed for the loss, it is often the team who have lost their discipline because of a call.

As an example, take Mr Halas who we generally get up in Scotland. He calls every single hook and hold. First few years we went up there when he started reffing we got called again and again for the same thing.... fans were up in arms because we were getting the pens and Fife/Dundee/Glasgow weren't..... but it wasn't bias, it was just that the Scottish teams had learnt not to do it. Now we understand how he calls things and our penalty count is way down.

Of course if every official called the game in the same way, we wouldn't have this issue but..... that ain't going to happen....

moggy#9

The question is, where do you draw the line at abuse? Clearly a club official behaving in the way that happened in Coventry is unacceptable. He is a representative of the club and should behave accordingly. But fans? Where do you draw the line there? Surely paying customers get to have their say, as long as it isn't illegal.

There's is a bigger picture though. I used to watch quite a few junior matches, and some parents could be complete dicks towards officials - even in cases where they (the officials) weren't that much older than the kids themselves. That sort of thing just isn't on.

I don't claim to have all of the answers, but this stunt and the response does nothing to alleviate the bush league images that the eihl seems to be creating.

Last edited:

E.D.S.

The question is, where do you draw the line at abuse? Clearly a club official behaving in the way that happened in Coventry is unacceptable. He is a representative of the club and should behave accordingly. But fans? Where do you draw the line there? Surely paying customers get to have their say, as long as it isn't illegal.

There's is a bigger picture though. I used to watch quite a few junior matches, and some parents could be complete dicks towards officials - even in cases where they (the officials) weren't that much older than the kids themselves. That sort of thing just isn't on.

I don't claim to have all of the answers, but this stunt and the response does nothing to alleviate the bush league images that the eihl seems to be creating.
Agree. It's the response the bothers me. The Elite league have been very pubic in their assessment of the Coventry off ice officials behaviour but nothing about Hogarth. Part of me commends them for sticking by their employee but the bigger part of me scratches my head wondering what the chuff they are playing at. Without the visibility over the disciplinary action of the Ref after his comments on twitter it just creates a 'them and us' - one rule for them and one rule for us. The Officials become untouchable which creates more frustration. I'm sure they have taken action but the press releases of the Elite League needs to be more collaborative. All they've done is appear to point the finger at Coventry. It's naive. They should, in my view, disclose the actions and supplementary disciplinary of the Ref.

We went through all of this with Simms. Constantly overstepping the mark - be it homophobic slurs, comments about opposing teams and their fans - he was viewed as untouchable and above the league as no visible action was taken. It just creates a poor image, added frustration and is likely to enhance abuse not eradicate it.

moggy#9

Agree. It's the response the bothers me. The Elite league have been very pubic in their assessment of the Coventry off ice officials behaviour but nothing about Hogarth. Part of me commends them for sticking by their employee but the bigger part of me scratches my head wondering what the chuff they are playing at. Without the visibility over the disciplinary action of the Ref after his comments on twitter it just creates a 'them and us' - one rule for them and one rule for us. The Officials become untouchable which creates more frustration. I'm sure they have taken action but the press releases of the Elite League needs to be more collaborative. All they've done is appear to point the finger at Coventry. It's naive. They should, in my view, disclose the actions and supplementary disciplinary of the Ref.

We went through all of this with Simms. Constantly overstepping the mark - be it homophobic slurs, comments about opposing teams and their fans - he was viewed as untouchable and above the league as no visible action was taken. It just creates a poor image, added frustration and is likely to enhance abuse not eradicate it.
Agreed. The league seems to be going backwards. They really need to appoint some independent leadership, as well as someone with a clue about public relations.

Pembo

I wonder if there are any behind the scenes repercussions from officials caught up in the moment making provocative comments about locations and fan bases? It is a really bad look for the league and comments like Hogarth made on social media just rule the fan bases up more. It seems madness to allow officials a free pass while preaching an anti abuse message it just seems disingenuous & gives impression officials are unaccountable, which is not healthy in a professional league.

august04 2.0

Hogarth's biggest problem is that he’s prone to losing the plot. Over several years, we've seen him react and lose his rag with fans, players and coaches. As a ref, you have to rise above that. He does it all too often I'm afraid.

Ocko

The EIHA and EIHL are IMO to blame for the criticism refs often find themselves getting. Both EIHL and EIHA leagues don’t know what they want to be. They want the league to remain a North American style of hockey but they ref it like European leagues. Every big hit is a hit to the head, we’ve even convinced fans of it. Watch any league across the Atlantic and most of the calls here are never getting called there. Same for fighting, we ‘allow’ fighting within the rules but refs are jumping straight in and causing incidents like Louis one in Nottingham. If they let them go both players are getting 5 minute penalty and no one is getting a punch with their hands by their side and a ban.

I don’t think the refs on the whole are seeing the minors wrong, and if you watch a EIHL game as a neutral most calls on the whole are right. It’s the majors and fighting calls. The owners of the teams need to provide direction how they want it called because at the moment they way it’s called isn’t how they want it run. We’re signing players to play a physical game but not reffing it as such which is why everyone is so frustrated.