EIHL Highlights on Freesports

kingmo19.1

Thread starter #1
Message to the Clan & Giants commentators - please stop continually shouting!

It’s an EIHL league game, your team isn’t playing game 7 of the Stanley Cup Final !!!!

Wannabe2

Yes I have, but they don’t shriek like a cat on a hot tin roof, those two are like two pigs in a poke. I realise all these people are very poor commentators except the Steelers commentator who is very good.

Just to jump in on behalf of a former colleague Glynne (and defend myself a little) Gaz was always great to commentate with - fun, articulate and considered.

I haven't commentated with or heard Ollie - but I have read his articles and they are always insightful. I'm sure this would translate to his commentary.

Myself and Aled were far from perfect - and no doubt made many mistakes - but some of our peers were kind enough to say nice things (more so about Aled than myself...rightly so!!)

I take your wider point that we are all amateurs so it is going to vary in standard...but there is a lot of hard work going on and Gaz in particular always strives to deliver a quality product.

Cheers,

John

E.D.S.

Aled left big shoes to fill but fair play to Gaz he does a cracking job. A bit of enthusiasm is great for me. The Belfast fella is a no no, personally, but I’m guessing they are all amateurs, probably volunteers and there’s no way I could do a better job. So thumbs up to them.

Gough60

having watched more webcasts over the last 3 years I have to say Stars, Storm, Steelers, Blaze commentary are all very good and call the game as they see it.
If their team is performing poorly or Devils are dominating (not as often this season) then it is mentioned, to their credit.
The shear lack of appreciation by the Giants commentator shown with the game on the weekend was classless. Mind the Giants goal (single goal that is) you would swear was scored by either Crosby, Mathews, Ovechkin, or (insert NHL legend name).

Finny

so I gather you haven't listened to your own commentator then :D
Well there are two for a start.

Not heard them this season yet but last year I was ill and stuck in bed so watched one of the games via Icetime. Very impressed with not just the commentators but the whole production. if I'm ill again I won't hesitate watching it via Icetime again.

Of the opposition teams, Coventry and Dundee are the two that spring to mind as being amongst the best. Good camera work and both sets of commentators try to be as neutral as possible.
Manchester are restricted by their building so I've not watched it recently but the commentators used to be good.
Sheffield's highlights package is arguably one of the best yet their livestream was often unreliable and so busy doing replays that they would miss the action. Commentator pretty good though.

As for Belfast. Well at least they've improved on the camera work in recent years. But for me, sorry the screaming commentary is like one of the fanbase commentarys you get on youtube. I know the Giants fanbase defend him but I can't be the only one who is put off paying for that. Last time I did pay for it I ended up sticking it on mute.

Wannabe2

I always watch the Giants webcast on mute, rather that listening to that terrible screaming like a kid who’s ice cream has been nicked by a seagull. Steelers webcast is really very very good, and very reliable, and a pleasure to watch especially if they lose. Clan now have a screamer to match Giants, but fortunately don’t do a webcast.

Slartibartfast

It varies around the league. The Belfast guy is OTT and I have to turn the volume down. Its clear he is predominantly a fan whereas Ollie, Gaz and JD have always sounded more balanced in their commentary. At the other end of the spectrum the Manchester guy sounds like he is reading a train timetable even when his own team score.
After our guys I would say Coventry has the best commentator

tim78

What! surely Dundee are the best. Least biased and most entertaining. Then I think its just the suspense waiting for a Frankie Boyle one liner.

Gazza272

, but I’m guessing they are all amateurs, probably volunteers and there’s no way I could do a better job. So thumbs up to them.

I'll not post too much on the issue for various reasons, and i'll certainly not join in the Debate in styles etc.

But i'll pick up on this sentence as I don't usually get a chance to talk philosophy about what I do on game nights, and 1. I love talking about it, and 2. I think sometimes us on comms don't get a chance to talk about why we do what we do.

Firstly EDS and JD and others thank you for the very kind words,

When Myself, Al and John started doing comms regularly we treated it extremely seriously and dilligently, and wanted to ensure we treated it as if we were getting paid. This included being very mindful of calling a game down the middle so as not to insult away fans (who are the majority viewer on game night) being prepared as we possibly can be, and asking challenging questions of each other to bring out each others personalities. I truly believe that without each other pushing ourselves to get better which in turn challenged each other to get better, it bore fruit,

it's the reason you hear JD on Cardiff City Commentary every week these days, it's the reason Aled got to call the CHL final for free sports and it's the reason that for the past two seasons I've been lucky enough to be employed to commentate on the CHL Group stage and Knockout rounds from the studios with the Vienna production company. We all got better because we didn't want to be amateur, we wanted to be the best we can be.

I've certainly taken that mantra in the current Partnership with Ollie as well, and i'll continue to keep the mantra, that every week I try to be better than the week before, and I expect Ollie to want to push my performance. It has to happen that way. And i'm sure he feels the same.

In saying that, it's a job I've wanted to do since i used to tape commentary on a tape recorded over old Devils video's and it's the most fun I've ever had in the game, and I consider myself extremely lucky to be able to do it.

But what I will say is this, I'm open to criticism of my work in a bid to get better, if there are certain things you think I should be doing that would improve your enjoyment, if you think it is too loud or too screetchy, anything, please either find me on game night or PM me on here on twitter or whatever, and I won't take it personally, it's one of the best ways to improve. And I want the listeners to enjoy the coverage as much as I enjoy producing it :)

I'll quit rambling now, I just wanted to give you guys some insight, into what this role means to me.

Slartibartfast

What! surely Dundee are the best. Least biased and most entertaining. Then I think its just the suspense waiting for a Frankie Boyle one liner.
Can't say anything nice about dundees webcast as I'm too angry with them. I missed 2 periods and they have not responded to several messages I sent them