Flames Vs Devils - 10 Feb 19 - League

kettdevil1

Classic game and a great comeback.... I have never seen a team score three goals when they have pulled their netminder yet.... there was a feeling of inevitability when the first went in, this team might occasionally frustrate but they are winners. Without Mosey and Haddad we lacked a bit of spark, and it was clear that the Flames were desperate for a win so.... for once it was a physical battle against the Flames. There were some monster hits throughout, notably by Schiestel, with the officials (bar a few calls) letting it all go.

I thought we were unlucky to be 3-0 down, nobody has any idea how the first got through Bowns, it looked impossible to score, whilst the second was a wild bounce after Bowns stopped the initial shot. Flames were worth a lead, but three was harsh.

Then came the comeback, Bowns dives for the bench and the excellent Hedden pulls one back, another scramble and a second goes in then.... after what seems like an age Martin scoops the third into the net. Pandemonium ensued.

Frankly, I am not gutted Flames won the shootout, Akkered’s two PS were worthy of winning any shootout, and a point should be viewed as one gained. Schiestel was outstanding and was Joey Martin but special credit to Sam Duggan, on limited shifts he caused havoc.

If we win the league by a point, this is where we will say we won it.

Rob Batch

Those final few minutes turned my frown upside down. I'm not too bothered about the shoot out, that point was crucial I think. Schiestel was great all weekend. Well done lads.

jimmy snels

why are duggan and rutkis on limited shifts? we do seem to lack trust in the young brits who never cost us goals. rutkis for example had a great shift after 10 minutes last night, got a tap from the coach then not out again for ages! need to back these youngsters and keep rolling the 4 lines keeping our stars fresher.

to be honest i expected a better performance against a team playing their 3rd game in 3 days. take the point as it played out, but i kinda thought we'd out hustle them in those circumstances

trapped

As has been mentioned above, we dominated the first period but didn't create too many clear cut chances. Guildford did a great job of keeping us to the outside and blocking shots.

We were very unlucky to go into the third 2-0 down. Not sure how the first went in and the puck hit bownsy and looped over him for the second. You could see it happening almost in slow mo.

I've never seen a team score 3 goals with a net minder pulled, but it was an outstanding effort from a team that doesn't know it has been beaten. We had a couple of good chances in overtime but couldn't find a way past Carrozzi.

Ackered's penalty shots were highlight reel and deserved to win them the game. Classic shake and bake for the first one and a Forsberg move for the second. Worth the ticket price for that alone.

Special mentions for Schiestel and Dixon, but particularly Schiestel. He dished out some monster hits and played a great 200ft game. He didn't deserve to be on the losing side.

Last edited:

Rich Best

What’s been coming for weeks and what’s the Devils done what’s so pathetic, pulled the keeeper and scored three goals and ended up with a point. Pathetic my ass
Just ignore him or her, one of those just waiting in the shadows to pounce at ANY opportunity for negativity. A few of them pounced too soon when we were 3-0 down and came back to 3-3 earning what could be a crucial point! Means we have not lost any ground of Belfast this weekend. The two games against Belfast will be crucial, but we have known that for a while now! We are grinding through some adversity at the moment and still have our noses in front!

RedDevil17

What’s been coming for weeks and what’s the Devils done what’s so pathetic, pulled the keeeper and scored three goals and ended up with a point. Pathetic my ass
Just ignore him or her, one of those just waiting in the shadows to pounce at ANY opportunity for negativity. A few of them pounced too soon when we were 3-0 down and came back to 3-3 earning what could be a crucial point! Means we have not lost any ground of Belfast this weekend. The two games against Belfast will be crucial, but we have known that for a while now! We are grinding through some adversity at the moment and still have our noses in front!
Safe to say I posted at the wrong time but in fairness I didn’t expect us to come back from 3-0 down with about 3 minutes left! Don’t think anyone did. There is some truth to the fact we’ve been grinding out results lately though against teams we should be destroying and that we’ve average for a while. Losing to a poor storm team and narrowly winning against an average Coventry team on Saturday. Admittedly we battered Sheffield but that’s not difficult is it.

I still think we will win the league but this is going down to the wire I have no doubt about it. It’s in our hands but one poor performance and a loss we could cock it up quite easily. We need to come out on fire against Belfast.

Is that positive enough for you Rich or should I write more positive posts from now? Just remember folks no negativity allowed apparently so I’ll only be positive from now on just to please you Rich Best! You’re correct in saying there’s been no ground gained but we’re ahead by just one point I think with most of our games away from home. Admittedly we have a game in hand but we could lose it, as Rich said it’s difficult but whilst Rich is on its positivity only!

Quick question to you both: A few others on here were critical after being 3-0 down and rightly so yet you decide to single me out, why is that? I couldn’t give a shit if I’m honest but I’m just curious! I’ve praised the team in a lot in the past remember... I saw a lot more negativity from others when we had that rotten spell saying players aren’t giving 100%

Last edited:

Sliput

We are a point ahead but we also have a game in hand.

It's not the fact that people need to be negative/positive , it's just the over reactions before a game has finished . Like, calling it pathetic when we are 3-0 down. We are a team , we have no god given right to win any game. We should be aiming to win every one but that doesn't happen.

I was at Cov v Sheffield last night and Cov went down 3-0 and although the game wasn't great, Cov never gave up. The players don't go to a game and collectively think " Can't be bothered today" !!

I love supporting the Devils but sometimes the fans let them down.

Oh and Wagstaff, if you read this Ben Lake is a God :) :) :)

Last edited:

Kevlar68

The thing that I find slightly concerning is that the team must have known Belfast had dropped a point so how much incentive do you need to go out and give it your all to gain that win.

Hedd Wyn John

The thing that I find slightly concerning is that the team must have known Belfast had dropped a point so how much incentive do you need to go out and give it your all to gain that win.
Let’s be honest, this was the best chance we’d ever get to take 2 points from Guildford. They’d played 2 games already this weekend. The fact that Belfast dropped a point was a real missed opportunity. Don’t get me wrong coming back from 3-0 in the manner that we did to rescue a point was great but really we should have been going into the game aiming to increase our lead. Guildford must have been tired playing their third game in a weekend, that should have been enough for a team like the Devils to get the result. If people don’t think tiredness is a factor just consider the Nottingham vs Giants result, that Giants team on any other day would have steamrollered the Panthers but that extra game changed matters.

trapped

Guildford did not play like a tired team last night. Their energy, particularly in the second period, was excellent and it showed. We were unlucky with the goals, Guildford played well and is a team we have frequently struggled against in the last two seasons. I also thought the fact that Carrozzi was MOTM was rather telling, we had 38 shots on goal, 15 of which came in the final period.

trapped

Like I said above, absolutely highlight reel. As much as it pains me to lose, they were worth the ticket price last night. I had no idea he had that in his locker.

kingmo19.1

Respect to Ben Davies, 1+2, he’s having a good season for flames.

We’ve got no divine right to beat Guildford or anyone in this league especially away from home. A point under the circumstances is a great result.