Flames Vs Devils - League - 2nd Apr 22

Mazzoak

There certainly seems to be more going on than we're privy to.
Not really, it’s written clearly in the rules, we’ve debated this already. If Cardiff are happy they kept within the rules and won, that’s admirable. If Cardiff has interpreted the rules incorrectly and lost everything, well that’s just incompetence. If Cardiff didn’t have the money and are sticking by this rule and lost everything, well that’s embarrassing.

Last edited:

august04 2.0

You make it sound so easy, as if a queue of d men were waiting by their phone for the call to come and play, and the Devils will have a house and car ready immediately for a new arrival.
We have no idea what the circumstances are which goes in to making these decisions. Finances is probably a huge factor. If you look at the 3 mid season signings we've made (which shows plenty of ambition by the way), a guy from college who's never played a pro game and a player gassed by Manchester would probably be on the cheaper end of the scale. Which suggests there's probably not a lot of a player budget left for this year, especially when you still pay for those injured players, as well as any new ones.
Finances could well have come into play. Maybe the other two had the money to replace their injured players at that time and we didn’t, who knows. But I stand by my comment that I hope we don’t see that apparent lack of ambition again, whatever the circumstances that may have caused it this year (particularly when our season ticket prices for next year are at the higher end in the league, so I would be very disappointed if this happened again). And by the way, having overworked our 4 D for so long since early March, I’m surprised one of those guys hasn’t been in injury trouble since, then we'd be down to 3! Makes the versatility of players like Culligan and Mosey look even more important, perhaps a consideration when we're building the roster for next year if these hideous restrictions persist.

Wannabe2

Not really, it’s written clearly in the rules, we’ve debated this already. If Cardiff are happy they kept within the rules and won, that’s admirable. If Cardiff is interpreted the rules, lost everything, well that’s just incompetence. If Cardiff didn’t have the money and are sticking by this rule and lost everything, well that’s embarrassing.
Cardiff knows 200 times what you know divvy, so give it a rest .

Mazzoak

You make it sound so easy, as if a queue of d men were waiting by their phone for the call to come and play, and the Devils will have a house and car ready immediately for a new arrival.
We have no idea what the circumstances are which goes in to making these decisions. Finances is probably a huge factor. If you look at the 3 mid season signings we've made (which shows plenty of ambition by the way), a guy from Canadian college who's never played a pro game and a player gassed by Manchester would probably be on the cheaper end of the scale. Which suggests there's probably not a lot of a player budget left for this year, especially when you still pay for those injured players, as well as any new ones.
The club over the last several years have stated they’ve players sending CV’s iarge numbers, even apparently turned down some excellent coaches. So contentions are there with agencies, Belfast and Sheffield can, so we should too, no.

Devil94

The club over the last several years have stated they’ve players sending CV’s iarge numbers, even apparently turned down some excellent coaches. So contentions are there with agencies, Belfast and Sheffield can, so we should too, no.
Don't understand that post, sorry.

Mazzoak

Don't understand that post, sorry.
Sorry English is my second language and when I’m writing in English my ipad is constantly auto correcting. I meant connections, not contentions, so if we are receiving player CV’s, we’ve got agency connections and agencies always have surplus players who for many reason will be free to sign. So in response to your comment about there cannot be many players sitting around waiting to get a call from Cardiff, I’m suggesting there are.

august04 2.0

We have no idea what the circumstances are which goes in to making these decisions. Finances is probably a huge factor. If you look at the 3 mid season signings we've made (which shows plenty of ambition by the way), a guy from Canadian college who's never played a pro game and a player gassed by Manchester would probably be on the cheaper end of the scale. Which suggests there's probably not a lot of a player budget left for this year, especially when you still pay for those injured players, as well as any new ones.
By the way, I disagree with your assertion that our 3 mid season signings showed plenty of ambition. As you say 2 of them were probably at the cheaper end of the scale and the other one, well, I’d be disappointed if we paid anything for him (Valdix)! Coughler was the exception of course and I hope he's back with us next year. That level of signing shows they are out there!

Devil94

By the way, I disagree with your assertion that our 3 mid season signings showed plenty of ambition. As you say 2 of them were probably at the cheaper end of the scale and the other one, well, I’d be disappointed if we paid anything for him (Valdix)! Coughler was the exception of course and I hope he's back with us next year. That level of signing shows they are out there!
I forgot about Valdix, so 4. For me it shows ambition that even if the budget isn't really there, we still made those signings chasing trophies. They weren't of the same calibre as Strachan or Morrisson as mid season signings, probably because the money wasn't there for that sort of player.
And if the money wasn't there for another one, that's not lack of ambition, that's a sensible business decision. If you can't afford something, you don't get to have it. Simple. And as I said earlier, it's not just the wages. It's the accommodation, equipment, flights etc.

Mazzoak

It’s Mazzoak’s humour apparently. We just don’t get it…
You certainly don’t, you forget it’s not the 1st time you’ve corrected there, their in a condescending manor to a mistake l & millions make everyday, including here. So now I tend to do it to those correctors as a humours mocking, as it stereotypical of those unable to debate & retort to this level of self imposed superiority. You continually don’t disappoint.

jenks33

You certainly don’t, you forget it’s not the 1st time you’ve corrected there, their in a condescending manor to a mistake l & millions make everyday, including here. So now I tend to do it to those correctors as a humours mocking, as it stereotypical of those unable to debate & retort to this level of self imposed superiority. You continually don’t disappoint.
Difference being I couldn’t give two hoots if most people get their they’re/there/theirs wrong but when it comes from somebody who thinks they’re more intelligent than everybody else it’s nice to point it out :)

Mazzoak

Difference being I couldn’t give two hoots if most people get their they’re/there/theirs wrong but when it comes from somebody who thinks they’re more intelligent than everybody else it’s nice to point it out :)
That’s an interpretation, I’ve not once stated I’m more intelligent than anyone on the Inferno. If that’s how you or others think, well there isn’t anything l can say or do because that’s how l write and honestly why do you care. It’s obviously touched your nerve, so what, I don’t care, move on, follow the rules, debate the post not the poster and stop derailing threads & then moaning like a child that I’m making it about me. Honestly grow up and move on......

jenks33

That’s an interpretation, I’ve not once stated I’m more intelligent than anyone on the Inferno. If that’s how you or others think, well there isn’t anything l can say or do because that’s how l write and honestly why do you care. It’s obviously touched your nerve, so what, I don’t care, move on, follow the rules, debate the post not the poster and stop derailing threads & then moaning like a child that I’m making it about me. Honestly grow up and move on......
“If that’s how you or others think” I might be wrong but I’m pretty sure 99% of posters on here would agree that you think a lot of yourself. Maybe just scan through what you’ve written at times before you click on that ‘post reply’ button :) Honestly a lot of your posts aren’t a great look.
Anyway, I do agree on one thing. No need to derail threads, not fair on everybody else.

Mazzoak

“If that’s how you or others think” I might be wrong but I’m pretty sure 99% of posters on here would agree that you think a lot of yourself. Maybe just scan through what you’ve written at times before you click on that ‘post reply’ button :) Honestly a lot of your posts aren’t a great look.
Anyway, I do agree on one thing. No need to derail threads, not fair on everybody else.
Good because l honestly don’t care what you or the 99% think, I actually do think a lot of myself, why not. I’m happy with every post l write. So let’s get on with expressing opinions.

jenks33

Good because l honestly don’t care what you or the 99% think, I actually do think a lot of myself, why not. I’m happy with every post l write. So let’s get on with expressing opinions.
Didn’t you bloody hear me when I said have a scan through your posts before clicking on that ‘post reply’ button?! (Joking)

august04 2.0

I forgot about Valdix, so 4. For me it shows ambition that even if the budget isn't really there, we still made those signings chasing trophies. They weren't of the same calibre as Strachan or Morrisson as mid season signings, probably because the money wasn't there for that sort of player.
And if the money wasn't there for another one, that's not lack of ambition, that's a sensible business decision. If you can't afford something, you don't get to have it. Simple. And as I said earlier, it's not just the wages. It's the accommodation, equipment, flights etc.
You’re assuming it’s a lack of money but neither you nor I know that for sure. Personally I don’t believe our ownership group would have baulked at providing additional funds for the right player. I think our problems were more wage cap related and signing a few expensive duds in the original roster. Let's be honest, McNulty, Valdix and Brandt were brought in as roster fillers, not impact players to get us competing at the top of the table (I would only put Coughler in that category). These league decisions like the gentleman’s agreement on a wage cap, roster restrictions could be excused this year with the uncertainty after Covid, but not next year. If I’m paying top dollar for a season ticket, I expect the on ice product to be much better than this year and yes, I expect us to be competing for the league title again. I’m pretty sure our ownership will be expecting that too.

matbur

The issue isn't so much with the Devils but the league upholding integrity across the board.

As the above says, when you are paying 'top dollar' for season tickets, there is a certain level of expectation. I don't think any fanbase has a given right for success but what I expect is that on the ice there's a level competitive playing field (for want of a better ice hockey-related phrase!).

Too often in the league this simply isn't happening, with teams handicapped with less players. It makes a mockery of the competition and the EIHL's 'product'.

I understand that teams have faced additional complications returning from the Covid hiatus and I'm grateful that there is still a league and that the teams are still intact, but moving forward the league's board has to handle roster management better if it wants to be taken more seriously. It might as well become a semi-pro league otherwise.