Flames Vs Devils - League - 2nd Apr 22

matbur

Jeez, I can accept losing but I'm really struggling with the roster discrepancies this season. It's completely undermining the season and the league seems to have lost some credibility.

I think I'm right in saying the season ticket renewal deadline is in May, but I'm beginning to contemplate whether I should hold off until the league confirms roster requirements.

If I'm being honest, I'm losing interest and feel disillusioned with the league.

Kevlar68

Always going to be rumours as some people are so boring they can only get attention through gossip. I always wait on official announcements, never taken any notice of rumours and gossip.
As for season tickets I'm only holding off until schedule released as I'm not liking Saturday night experience so if mostly Saturdays I won't be renewing.

moggy#9

Jeez, I can accept losing but I'm really struggling with the roster discrepancies this season. It's completely undermining the season and the league seems to have lost some credibility.

I think I'm right in saying the season ticket renewal deadline is in May, but I'm beginning to contemplate whether I should hold off until the league confirms roster requirements.

If I'm being honest, I'm losing interest and feel disillusioned with the league.
"Lost some credibility"? I think the phrase you're reaching for is "complete shit storm". After this season the league needs complete reform.

ASHIPP

This season's roster limits are ridiculous but it's no coincidence that the top two teams battling for the championship are the teams who seemed proactive enough before the transfer deadline to ensure they had adequate player numbers/support in place should injuries happen down the stretch.

They are not the ones limping on to the end of the season shortbenched and hoping that they can do enough to at least get to Playoff Weekend.

We can moan all we want about Giants' signing on deadline day. Its forward thinking, especially with a congested schedule and every game counting. They are going to be playing hard and fast, injuries are possible.The additional player can't be activated unless one of their roster becomes injured and goes on to Injury Reserve. Steelers did something similar.

These teams are set for the post season too.

Rempel16

Always going to be rumours as some people are so boring they can only get attention through gossip. I always wait on official announcements, never taken any notice of rumours and gossip.
As for season tickets I'm only holding off until schedule released as I'm not liking Saturday night experience so if mostly Saturdays I won't be renewing.
Same for my family, if there’s a similar number of Saturday night games then that’s season tickets not renewed. My folks lost way too many games this year that it’s just not viable.

The frustrating thing about this is that they won’t confirm the fixtures until June.

Sunday night has always been hockey night in Cardiff, but i appreciate its Todd’s train set and he’ll do things his way.

jenks33

This season's roster limits are ridiculous but it's no coincidence that the top two teams battling for the championship are the teams who seemed proactive enough before the transfer deadline to ensure they had adequate player numbers/support in place should injuries happen down the stretch.

They are not the ones limping on to the end of the season shortbenched and hoping that they can do enough to at least get to Playoff Weekend.

We can moan all we want about Giants' signing on deadline day. Its forward thinking, especially with a congested schedule and every game counting. They are going to be playing hard and fast, injuries are possible.The additional player can't be activated unless one of their roster becomes injured and goes on to Injury Reserve. Steelers did something similar.

Still very surprised we went into a challenge cup final with only 4D. People can throw every excuse in the book at me but I still think it was inexcusable to let that happen. Clearly McNulty and Mikkelson weren’t close to playing as they’re still out.

moggy#9

For me there equation is whether there giants and Steelers actually broke any rules out gentlemen's agreements in what they did.

ASHIPP

For me there equation is whether there giants and Steelers actually broke any rules out gentlemen's agreements in what they did.
It must have been acceptable practice because neither team have been penalised for it.

Technically, we could reactivate Dupont (if he was fit) but someone would need to be on Injury Reseve for that to happen Exactly same with the Giants' signing....he trains with the team but cannot be used until another player goes on IR.

moggy#9

It must have been acceptable practice because neither team have been penalised for it.

Technically, we could reactivate Dupont (if he was fit) but someone would need to be on Injury Reseve for that to happen Exactly same with the Giants' signing....he trains with the team but cannot be used until another player goes on IR.
The cynical party of me thinks that rules send to be applied differently when particularly three Steelers are involved.

august04 2.0

Still very surprised we went into a challenge cup final with only 4D. People can throw every excuse in the book at me but I still think it was inexcusable to let that happen. Clearly McNulty and Mikkelson weren’t close to playing as they’re still out.
McNulty had been out a while before that final from memory, so they must have known the long term nature of that injury. I think Mikkelson was injured just before, so that was perhaps more difficult to account for. Either way, we effectively threw the end of the season away by not replacing one of these guys. I’m very surprised that the club allowed that scenario to play out but as a fan, it was inexcusable when teams around us were covering for injured players. Look at what has happened since - they’re both challenging still, one with a trophy under their belts and both looking strong going into the playoffs and we’re treading water with an overworked defensive corps, with no realistic chance of doing anything unless one of those guys come back pretty quickly. I hope we never see that apparent lack of ambition again from the Devils management.

Last edited:

Mazzoak

The club seems to have plugged many of the leaks that existed in previous seasons. The rumours will get wilder and wilder. The only source I'm really prepared to trust is from jenks' surveillance van. ;-)
It’s not just the Club though, you only need a hockey fan to work in a letting agency, tax office, car sponsor, the other club, the agents secretary, college lecturer or fellow student, heck even the garage cashier on the M5 overhearing a player speaking or a waitress.

moggy#9

It’s not just the Club though, you only need a hockey fan to work in a letting agency, tax office, car sponsor, the other club, the agents secretary, college lecturer or fellow student, heck even the garage cashier on the M5 overhearing a player speaking or a waitress.
Fair comment.

Mazzoak

Which is why l questioned our ambitions for this season, it’s been blatantly obvious.

Devil94

Still doesn’t excuse not replacing McNulty.
You make it sound so easy, as if a queue of d men were waiting by their phone for the call to come and play, and the Devils will have a house and car ready immediately for a new arrival.
We have no idea what the circumstances are which goes in to making these decisions. Finances is probably a huge factor. If you look at the 3 mid season signings we've made (which shows plenty of ambition by the way), a guy from Canadian college who's never played a pro game and a player gassed by Manchester would probably be on the cheaper end of the scale. Which suggests there's probably not a lot of a player budget left for this year, especially when you still pay for those injured players, as well as any new ones.